Exo K3 4800 Pack System Review ***Updated 2/10/20***

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Justin, where do you get your autolock buckles for the exo? I mostly want to put them on the two horizontal straps on the front of the pack. They do loosen up like you described when holding a bow or rifle sometimes. Since the female buckle is sewn in, will I have to cut a slot in the autolock to attach it?
Easiest way I know is to order from Kifaru. You'll have to replace both sides of the buckle obviously.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

DBlack

FNG
I would like to thank you Justin for a very informative review and also everyone else for their comments an input. I am knew to your forum as well as the whole aspect of pack in back country hunts. It is very nice to be able to gain knowledge and different incite on many different topics an products.

Gocougs

FNG
I really enjoyed my pack i bought one a couple years ago for a back country elk hunt in CO. It worked awesome! Keep up the great pack making!!!

jmagnumw

Lil-Rokslider
So for anyone who is on the fence about getting an exo pack let me just say that you won’t regret it!! I own the kifura reckoning, the mystery ranch metcalf, and an exo mountain gear 5500. I have pack out animals with all three deer/bear/elk and I prefer the exo over the other two. First of all the Mystery Ranch bag is not even comparable to the exo or kifura bag and I just felt the exo was a better designed bag that’s easier to use with that being said the kifura option is not a bad one. All in all if I was to do it all over I would go with an exo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HDwild

WKR
Awesome review! I had my mind on a different pack but after seeing this and the features included I think I'll fork over the extra cash for the K3 4800!

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome review! I had my mind on a different pack but after seeing this and the features included I think I'll fork over the extra cash for the K3 4800!
Let us know how you like it when you get it.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

HDwild

WKR
So for anyone who is on the fence about getting an exo pack let me just say that you won’t regret it!! I own the kifura reckoning, the mystery ranch metcalf, and an exo mountain gear 5500. I have pack out animals with all three deer/bear/elk and I prefer the exo over the other two. First of all the Mystery Ranch bag is not even comparable to the exo or kifura bag and I just felt the exo was a better designed bag that’s easier to use with that being said the kifura option is not a bad one. All in all if I was to do it all over I would go with an exo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've been using the Mystery Ranch Blackjack 80 for a few years and I love the pack itself but I realized it doesn't have a load shelf, and weighs like 8lbs empty which is a problem for backcountry hunts and packing meat. I got it while on Active Duty to use as my main ruck and it was fantastic. But when you're living out of it without resupply, it's too heavy and bulky. It'll be posted in the classifieds as soon as I get permission.

Predatore

FNG
How well does this pack carry 100-130 lbs? I tend to pack out elk solo in 3 trips (two quarters at a time) and one-trip out deer with the quarters bone-in. I care much less about the bells and whistles, but need a pack that can handle 120 lbs well without sliding down over my hips, and is durable. I am considering the Mystery Ranch Beartooth/Marshall, Kifaru, K3, or maybe SG. Also, can you even pack out two elk quarters (hind and front, bone-in) on a meat shelf, or must the front shoulder go in the pack?

For reference, I have been using a USMC Arcteryx Gen 2 ILBE pack for years and it has routinely seen over 100 lbs but I recently blew out both load lifters and the pack won't stay on my hips, so it's time for a new pack.

Anyone? Thanks in advance!

IMG_20191102_215627.jpg

How well does this pack carry 100-130 lbs? I tend to pack out elk solo in 3 trips (two quarters at a time) and one-trip out deer with the quarters bone-in. I care much less about the bells and whistles, but need a pack that can handle 120 lbs well without sliding down over my hips, and is durable. I am considering the Mystery Ranch Beartooth/Marshall, Kifaru, K3, or maybe SG. Also, can you even pack out two elk quarters (hind and front, bone-in) on a meat shelf, or must the front shoulder go in the pack?

For reference, I have been using a USMC Arcteryx Gen 2 ILBE pack for years and it has routinely seen over 100 lbs but I recently blew out both load lifters and the pack won't stay on my hips, so it's time for a new pack.

View attachment 167498

Well I have a K3 arriving tomorrow that I will be testing side by side with my Stone Glacier Xcurve frame. I will say this so far the SG xcurve has stayed up on my back and hips better than kifaru, exo k2, and KUIU. I'm hoping the K3 frame does better than the k2.

View attachment 167498

It carries 100+ pound loads very comfortably for me. You can fit two elk quarters in the load shelf by itself. I’ve been 100% happy with it and don’t ever see myself switching brands.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member

View attachment 167498

The K3 is as comfortable with heavy loads as my Kifaru. I have them both adjusted well and feel it would be hard to improve either. I haven't used the Xcurve so I don't know how it compares. The Krux frame was good but not my favorite.

Not sure how bone-in elk quarters fit since I pretty much always bone out the meat at the kill site.

Predatore

FNG
Thanks guys for your input about carrying a crapload of weight! I got a response from Mark at Exo about carrying 2 elk quarters, and he directed me to a video of Steve packing out two elk quarters and a head on what is probably a K2 pack. Here it is: ExoMeatPack Impressive stuff!