Exo K3 6400 Pack System Review, By Jon Troxell

Dang I was hoping that'd be an easy fix! Glad you found a frame that works, I had the opposite experience with the SG, and just goes to show you have to try a bunch of packs before you find the one!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

don't get me wrong the K3 was very comfortable but the material stretch and the overall lumbar pad sliding up when under load just seemed to create to much movement for my liking which lead to sagging. Although the SG Xcurve is stiffer and seems less comfortable I found under load the more my pack stayed up on my hips and small of my back it ended up being more comfortable.

scp

Lil-Rokslider
Appreciate the great review. I, too, have exclusively used the K3 frame and 6400 for a few months now. I bought both the 3200 and the 64, but you can shrink the big guy down so small that I don’t even bother with the 3200. I’ve made a few mods to it and now I’m quite happy. First, I replaced all of the OEM buckles with auto-locking ones. The stock buckles were ok at first, but they don’t cinch down well enough when loads get big. I also added 3 shims to the lumbar pad. It’s soft, but not nearly as noticeable with three of the shims in there. All in all, I’m liking it.

Cmay

FNG
Thanks for the insight. Trying to decide what to buy as a your first pack is hard

Elkangle

WKR
The material is tough and rugged and I think would deal with alders well, but I can't say for sure as I didn't use it in that situation.

I just got out of alder hell with the 6400...6 hours to go 2 miles, typically walking on top of the alders like a ladder..you know the type

Pack didn't get single tear.

JNDEER

WKR
Appreciate the great review. I, too, have exclusively used the K3 frame and 6400 for a few months now. I bought both the 3200 and the 64, but you can shrink the big guy down so small that I don’t even bother with the 3200. I’ve made a few mods to it and now I’m quite happy. First, I replaced all of the OEM buckles with auto-locking ones. The stock buckles were ok at first, but they don’t cinch down well enough when loads get big. I also added 3 shims to the lumbar pad. It’s soft, but not nearly as noticeable with three of the shims in there. All in all, I’m liking it.

Been on the fence about getting a 3200 bag knowing my 5500 bag will fit on the K3.

Do you think you could fit a small (100-150lb) deer quartered with bone and backstrap in the bag?

scp

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, I do think you’ll be able to, but you aren’t going to be carrying much beyond the boned out meat. Its a good size pack when you unroll the snow collar, but you don’t want to be carrying meat that high up anyway.

Jon Boy

WKR
I just got out of alder hell with the 6400...6 hours to go 2 miles, typically walking on top of the alders like a ladder..you know the type

Pack didn't get single tear.
Good to hear!

Fellas I've had the exo on my back for most of september and can't say I have a complaint. Everything from half day trips to 8 day missions. Unfortunately, due to a missed shot on opening day and just an all around danged tough archery season, I haven't filled any tags! I have a few days left of grinding before I have to buckle down on work for 10 days then I'll be back at it.

Until then let's relish in this picture of me minutes before I missed this herd bull. Happy hunting!
b95f1159bf668aca945a054a7ad3c94c.jpg

Hey Roksliders, @Jon Boy just finished his review of the Exo K3 6400 Pack System. Jon has been a fan of Exo packs for years now but needed more space for some of his trips this year. Check out how the 6400 handled the bigger loads for him.

Exo K3 6400 Pack System Review

Hey Roksliders, @Jon Boy just finished his review of the Exo K3 6400 Pack System. Jon has been a fan of Exo packs for years now but needed more space for some of his trips this year. Check out how the 6400 handled the bigger loads for him.

Exo K3 6400 Pack System Review
Really nice and detailed review Jon trol
@Jon Boy

finally someone who has had all the packs. Question: I loved the mobility of the gen 1 and felt the k2 really lacked in that aspect. For extreme elk loads on uneven ground the k2 was better- but average weight the gen1 moved with you much better. Do you feel the k3 as far as twisting movement is more like the gen1 or the k2 or a blend?
Really nice and detailed review Jon boy. I have used the gen one exo for many years now also with an alpaca pack raft. I normally like to detach the bag from the frame, and use the frame as a back rest in the raft. I am thinking of selling my gen one and purchasing the gen three. Do you think its worth the upgrade?

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Your review was interesting but I have a question or suggestion. How does it deal with a load with heavy weight(150-225lbs) in dense brush? 225lbs might sound like overkill but it is what a hind quarter of a moose weighs and I have had packouts with mountain goats that weigh that much as well.

How does the pack material deal with alders and crud as you are hauling a big load. Your pards were carrying a kifaru and a stone glacier. Did you guys compare the balance of the packs when they were loaded and did you note any deficiencies with the carrying the pack under full load/

The pack works well in brush, both SE AK alders and SE AK 2nd growth so thick you cannot see the ground 2 feet in front of you. Going up the mountain I never had a problem with snagging, same with coming down. This was true even when backing down the mountain (35 to 50 degree slopes) and using the pack like a turtle shell to bust through brush.

My buddy also had no issues. My pack was only about 100 lb though, and his was probably 130 lb. Both handled that weight well, but I cannot speak to heavier.

I'm not a fan of the velcro to attach the hip belt. It is the only thing I don't like about the pack and I will probably end up sewing the belt on. The company is awesome to work with.

EVO100517

FNG
I love my Exo K34800. I got it in MC for dual purpose (active duty). It carries weight so well and it's far more comfortable than my mystery ranch packs.

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
Here we are a year and a half later

Anyone still loving their 6400 w K3? I have my finfer on the butting to order this combo......the only thing that gives me pause is the comments about it sagging/sliding down. I do not have much of an ass, so packs sliding down is somewhat of an issue for me

Jon Boy

WKR

Anyone still loving their 6400 w K3? I have my finfer on the butting to order this combo......the only thing that gives me pause is the comments about it sagging/sliding down. I do not have much of an ass, so packs sliding down is somewhat of an issue for me
I dont have much of an ass and don't seem to have an issue with slippage and a small waist belt. Hope this helps!

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Still loving mine. Get it, throw a bunch of weight in and see how it feels. You can return it if for some reason you don't like how it rides.

CTXhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Just chiming in here, I used my 4800 this last fall on a late season hunt. Had a couple buddies dealing with some altitude sickness issues, ended up packing out early with a lot of gear on my back and couldn’t have been happier with how the pack handled 80+lbs. i will say I bought it Christmas 2020 and spend months making adjustments to get the pack fitting just right and once I had it down it was truly amazing how it carried weight, especially for how slim and lightweight the pack is. Love exo and the people who run it, cheers. A0164F1C-45B3-47C4-B493-3DEBC826EF65.jpeg

Still loving mine. Use it all the time. Carried between 15 and 70 pounds in it, as I use it for a day pack as well as backcountry pack. Never slid down on me. The belt goes over your hips, no ass required.

Pack.jpg