EXO K3 short vs tall frame

elkzor

FNG
I fall in the grey area as described on Exo's sizing guide so I can choose between the short frame (24-25.5 inches depending on frame extensions) or tall frame (25-26.5 depending on frame extensions). As Exo describes it:

"For those of you that land in the "gray area" on the frame height selection chart above, you can choose either the Short or Tall frame height option. Choose the Short frame if your primary goal is freedom of movement while hunting, and/or if you like the idea of using the frame extensions to hunt with a shorter frame, then extending the frame when the loads get heavy. Choose the Tall frame if your primary goal is performance with loads exceeding 60 pounds, and/or if you want to "set it and forget it" and not need to use the frame extensions."

What I'm wondering is how much difference would that 1 inch extra potential height on the tall frame (comparing both frames with the extensions set long) really impact load carrying capacity? This would be my first top shelf pack so I don't have a lot of experience.

Thanks very much

Last edited:
In my experience using both frames, the tall definitely carries heavy loads more comfortably but at the expense of more head/frame contact and snags on brush. If your primary task will be load hauling get the tall. I had the tall for 6 months or so an reluctantly got the short as my warranty replacement. Of course right now I’m primarily running heavy so I have the short extended but I can definitely tell it’ll be nicer having the short for bushwhacking and light backpacking. I’m 5’8” with 17 3/4” torso for reference.

md126

WKR
I also was in the grey area and went with the tall frame. I am extremely happy I did.

In my experience, a 1” longer frame is not a big deal as far as maneuvering through brush BUT it makes a huge difference when hauling heavy weight.

OP
E

elkzor

FNG
Appreciate the replies guys. Was a bit unsure because at least as I've measured it I have both a long torso and long inseam for my height and wasn't sure how that's possible (I have a short neck, head, and hips I guess?), but I've measured my torso a bunch of times now and I'm sure it's at least 18 so I'm going with the tall. Thanks for your help

if you hunt thick brushy country, the short frame still hauls meat fine (another gray area guy) if you aren't crawling through brush and ducking under stuff, the tall frame would be my choice.

I got a tall frame, and won't wear my exo for day hunting elk here on the coast, I use my pop up.... for most other hunting I do, I prefer the tall frame, because it carries better.... if I only had one pack, it would be the short frame, but it depends on your needs.... mine are likely different than yours.

as much as the extra frame length helps hauling weight, it's an equal pain in the ass in thick brushy stuff..... what's more important to you?