Exo K3 Spyder frame vs SG X Curve Frame

I'm in the market for a new pack & frame system and it will be exo k3 4800 or one of the SG set ups. I like things from both systems but cant try them on. I like the layout of exo 4800 better but the SG pack system seems more customizable so it really comes down to the frames. I'll only be using it once or twice a year. Once out west on a week long hunt and once deep in the whitetail woods on a week long rut hunt. I will also have a sitka mountain hauler as a backup I'm getting for my son to use on the rut hunt so I wanted something a little better or more geared towards western hunting, meat hauling, etc..
I am 5'8" and 176lbs. Size 34 waist. I figured the medium belts would be good on either but wasn't sure about the height and the way the frames ride on your back. Is the x curve a better frame for shorter people in the SG lineup or would one of the lighter ones be better for someone my size? I want it to last and wear comfortably under heavy and light loads. I have a slight arch in my upper back but it's very slight and I tend to lean my head forward with heavy packs on. Thanks in advance.
Tony

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

I am 5'-9" 180lbs and have the stone glacier xcurve frame and love it. I also just purchased the K3 4800 and have been testing it along side the Xcurve. I like things about both packs. At this moment I think I still would lean towards the Stone Glacier for me, but cant go wrong with either. size medium on the SG and size small with Exo. i'm size 33 waist and ordered a size medium and it was to big.

I actully have the Exo 4800 posted currently on the classified if you were looking at getting a brand new Exo saving $50. If not I will be returning to Exo under their 30 day return policy.

OP
TonySkyline
The medium was really to big on the exo??? Wow, I am a 34 in most pants but sometimes a 33 fits better (I get fatter over the winter and slim down over summer haha). How do the frames compare with carrying the loads and how do the belts feel? Thanks for replying, you are almost exact same size

Grady.J

Lil-Rokslider
I can't speak to the k3 or the stone glacier frames, I have a K2, and am currently using a Kifaru frame.

But, as far as customizability, a lot of bits and pieces from different manufacturer's are pretty easily interchangeable, should you decide you'd prefer the Exo but like some of the stone glacier parts. I'm currently running a Kifaru duplex lite frame, exo 6400 bag, mystery ranch lid, stone glacier hydro holster, and stone glacier rain cover. Aside from swapping a couple buckles they all run perfectly together. Just something to consider, you aren't necessarily pinned to a single company one way or the other.

The medium was really to big on the exo??? Wow, I am a 34 in most pants but sometimes a 33 fits better (I get fatter over the winter and slim down over summer haha). How do the frames compare with carrying the loads and how do the belts feel? Thanks for replying, you are almost exact same size

Yes, the medium almost bottomed out when fully tightened. Plus on a multi day hunt normally lose some weight which means the belt needs to be tightened even more.

Man, Exo and SG have two different philosophies. Exo is all about comfort and focuses on a lot of soft padding (dual density lumbar pad) to really make it feel plush. SG on the other hand has a more sticky denser lower profile lumbar pad. For me I like the harder denser lumbar pad which seems to fit me better. It also seems to hold onto your back better under heavy load. Again, Exo probably feels more comfortable out of the box, especially with lighter loads. Please do not get me wrong the Exo can carry a heavier load than you physically will be able to carry, but when loads are over 60 - 80lbs I prefer the harder feel of the SG. I actually like the Exo belt better it has the perfect amount of cushion and has a solid fabric on the inside which is nice to not get pine needles and debris stuck in. The SG belt feels a little to dense to me and has been my only complaint about the SG. Also SG uses an expanded mesh fabric on the inside of the belt which can pickup debris from time to time, but definitely not a deal breaker.

I hope this helps, feel free to reach back out with any further questions.

I can't add anything except definitely use a small belt for your sizing with an EXO. I'm not familiar with the SG, didn't ever try one of those out. I'd order both and return the one you don't like, run them side by side.

OP
TonySkyline
Bringing this back up as I'll now have another year before I make it back out west due to the crap quarantine regulations with my job and state. Had to send my tags back to MT for the 80% refund. Sucks so bad. Anyhow I have the x curve frame but still waiting for a deal on the 5900 bag. I also purchased a sitka mountain hauler (bigger model). Since I have over a year now I plan to purchase the exo 4800 setup as well and do the comparison with them all over the winter when I'm bored and work is slow. Might even get a mystery ranch setup as well and sell the ones I don't like or give em to my boys.
Has anyone else had a chance to own both SG x curve and exo setups? What is your feeling about the comparison?

WVELK

FNG
Bringing this back up as I'll now have another year before I make it back out west due to the crap quarantine regulations with my job and state. Had to send my tags back to MT for the 80% refund. Sucks so bad. Anyhow I have the x curve frame but still waiting for a deal on the 5900 bag. I also purchased a sitka mountain hauler (bigger model). Since I have over a year now I plan to purchase the exo 4800 setup as well and do the comparison with them all over the winter when I'm bored and work is slow. Might even get a mystery ranch setup as well and sell the ones I don't like or give em to my boys.
Has anyone else had a chance to own both SG x curve and exo setups? What is your feeling about the comparison?

Yes, I just went through this. For me, I bought both SG frames and the EXO. All are really nice, but for me it came down to which one fit me better. There are a lot of good reviews on here. I am a runner and built like a runner. 6 feet tall and 168-170 pounds. The SG were just too wide for me to be comfortable and to also be able to shoot a bow with pack on if need be. I posted some regarding the process and making the pack fit is soooo important. After I got it to fit I enjoyed SG much better than at first. The XCurve really provides a great option for a guy with a fair amount of lumbar curve. At first I didn’t like it, but in the end I could have went with either one EXCEPT for the fact that now matter how I looked at it the EXO was a better fit.

Lots of people say the SG fits better with a heavy 80 lbs load. For me, I am not sure that is the case. I finally decided that on a 14 day hunt I might carry the pack 13 days with “hunting weight“ in it and one day loaded down. So I would prefer to have 13 days of superior comfort from EXO and risk the one day in which SG might be better and as noted I am not convinced it is FOR ME. I tried all with weight and didn’t really think the SG was better, but honestly I could have used all three!

Ac338

WKR
I just went from the EXO k1 to the new k3 and man that thing is sweet. I don't have any experience with SG and plan to try one eventually but the Exo fits me perfect and I really like all the features. I'm 5'11" 170 with a waist from 32-34 depending on the season and would definitely get the small belt as a 34. Also exo has a 30 day money back guarantee so you can try it out side by side with your SG without any loss.

WVELK

FNG
I agree with AC338 entirely small belt if you have a 34 waste. As for the EXO, I am going to use it as a whitetail pack as well. It is as light as anything I normally carry (Badlands). I also want to get away from riding an ATV or UTV so much going to stands. I can strap the bow to the pack and take off. That way I may not have to run that day as well! Win win for everyone.

*zap*

WKR
On a short torso the x curve will bring the top of the frame stays close to the back of your head, I believe that SG told me they recommend krux for short torso length.

Both have 30 day return policy. You can get all the opinions you want but only you can decide what is best. Order both and keep the one that fits you best. Both are damn good packs and are very capable but fit and comfort is 100% personal.

renagde

WKR
The Exo K3 belt is in another world compared to their previous models. My brother and cousin run the SG packs and they're nice but I don't like the mesh on their pads and shoulder straps. I would say the new K3 will handle loads way better than the previous versions and I think their belt is more comfortable than the SG packs now. I traded my Kifaru for the Exo and in my opinion, Kifaru has the comfiest belt.