EXO k4 or Stone Glacier?

I am stuck between upgrading my bag to a Exo Mtn Gear k4 or Stone Glacier. Will likely go with the 5000 or Sky 5900, respectively. For mostly western multiday hunts. Are there any drawbacks on either bag or simply personal preference and fit?

What is the best way to determine which is a better fit? Buy both and return one?

-CS210

kramcutthroat

Lil-Rokslider
I have both SG frames and the Exo, the Exo seems much nicer build quality wise and attention to detail wise. The lumbar pad fits me much better on the Exo, as well as the shoulder straps seem like stiffer foam, in a good way, on the Exo. Overall Exo takes it in my book. I love my SG’s last year and wouldn’t complain about using them moving forward at all, but the Exo just seems much more refined. Less strappy and the hip belt on the Exo is more useable that the hip belt on the SG as far as running different accessories from exo or other brands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
ChickenSalad210
I have both SG frames and the Exo, the Exo seems much nicer build quality wise and attention to detail wise. The lumbar pad fits me much better on the Exo, as well as the shoulder straps seem like stiffer foam, in a good way, on the Exo. Overall Exo takes it in my book. I love my SG’s last year and wouldn’t complain about using them moving forward at all, but the Exo just seems much more refined. Less strappy and the hip belt on the Exo is more useable that the hip belt on the SG as far as running different accessories from exo or other brands.

This is extremely helpful. Do you know if EXO kept the same lumbar pad between k3 and k4 models? I have used a borrowed k3 in the past and the lumbar support/comfort was unmatched. Good to know for the hip belt as these backpack companies accessories can be found be easily many other brands for much less...

kramcutthroat

Lil-Rokslider
Im not sure, I want to say they changed it but I could be wrong so don’t quote me there. It really is a very very comfortable pack, at least for me!

I have a K4 and an x-curve. Used the x-curve very happily for 5 years, but since I got the K4 the x-curve has been relegated to workouts. The SG bag design is much more minimalist, so if you lean that way the pockets on the exo might annoy you.

big44a4

WKR
I am stuck between upgrading my bag to a Exo Mtn Gear k4 or Stone Glacier. Will likely go with the 5000 or Sky 5900, respectively. For mostly western multiday hunts. Are there any drawbacks on either bag or simply personal preference and fit?

What is the best way to determine which is a better fit? Buy both and return one?

-CS210

I’ve used both and exo gets the win here. Still own the EXO and a kifaru. For me you don’t know how comfortable a pack is until 100+ lbs. a lot of packs feel similar at 50. So when trying I’d load them heavy as you can personally.

Backcountry_Preacher

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I’ve owned both. K3 and the x-curve frames. I personally like the SG better. Haven’t tried the K4. The SG lumbar fits me better. The k3 had the tendency to slide down. I’d also recommend going ahead and getting a bigger bag. I use the 7900 guide. Both Exo and SG packs can be synched down to nothing when you don’t need the extra space. One bag for all your needs. 5000 cu in fills up quick and that minimalist mind set has it draw backs. But that’s just my opinion

P.S.- I do like Exo’s lids better than SG

Last edited:

^this is a good post.

I have both. For hunting weights, like day to day, I prefer my SG X-Curve. If I were to kill something, I'd wish I had my Exo or Kifaru. They both carry weight better than the SG, IMO. I'd get first load out with the SG and then go back for the rest with either the Exo or Kifaru. If I could only have one pack it'd be the Exo K4.

ljalberta

WKR
As others have said. Get both. Load them up. Keep whichever fits best.

I have a K4 that I really like, but do not have nearly as much time in it as I did my Xcurve. So far for me, the Xcurve is a slightly better fit to my body, but I think I’ll get the K4 dialed in yet.

OP
ChickenSalad210
^this is a good post.

I have both. For hunting weights, like day to day, I prefer my SG X-Curve. If I were to kill something, I'd wish I had my Exo or Kifaru. They both carry weight better than the SG, IMO. I'd get first load out with the SG and then go back for the rest with either the Exo or Kifaru. If I could only have one pack it'd be the Exo K4.
This is very helpful. Packout with meat is extremely important, and most the time i hope i am walking out much heavier than on the way in.

trogers861

Lil-Rokslider
Just came back from the expo and tried all the packs with weight. Exo was by far the winner for me and its a bonus that the detail of build/finish of the exo is second to none. The SG bags are sexy but its always bugged me that the frame looks like a prototype. I liked the new kifaru and even the initial ascent. SG just left a lot to be desired as much as I wanted that to be "the one" that i liked the most.

Most important is fit/comfort so trying both frames would be the best option. From there it is just getting used to whichever bag setup. The SG belt caused a lot of pressure on the points of my hips and the K4 doesn't but I have a weird goblin body. Set up both properly with 60+ pounds and move around with it on for at least a couple hours and see what works for you.

If SG has a return policy like exo, ideally order both and keep the best

As you can see, if one was “better”, it would be unanimous, but it never is, so you don’t know what one will be best for you.

I’m a fan of the K4, but obviously quite a few people feel the same about Stone, so you won’t know what pack is the best for you.

If you don’t want to do that, you’ll have to decide on features, and between the two, you would have to be unlucky to not be really happy with either, you have it narrowed down to a couple very widely liked choices

Runolfson

FNG
I don't know about SG but EXO is sewn/assembled in USA with nearly 100% USA made components and materials. Some folks may not value that but I do.

I have a k2 and a k3. I've packed many animals comfortably. I like the bag on the K3 better than the SG that I've played with. I have done week long backpack trips from my 4800.