Exo Mountain K4?

sivart

WKR
I have a pretty strict self imposed guideline to keep our color offerings to a max of 3. For every added Sku things get exponentially more complicated on our end. Rather than be a shit show with lead times and backorders I like to keep things as simple as possible so we can provide great customer service and ship packs fast. Honestly, if it were entirely just up to me I would love to just have one color and call it good. I do have to balance what I want and what our customers request so that's why I have chosen to do 3 colors that we keep in stock and produce.

Multicam sales have declined to about 14% of sales so it's the natural choice to drop since we needed to bring Coyote in to work with the Fusion packs.

Steve
I understand. Fusion will work fine. take my money.....LOL

I just don't like solids because they show every stain to the tenth, and after years of coyote in mil equipment don't really want to see it at all. Maybe I could do ranger, im not really into clothing brand camo either. I wear FL now but if I switch I cannot possibly be caught wearing camo that doesn't match my pack. 😆

I just think MC is a great pattern. But id be into any medium tone universal type camo. I like the tones in MC, then when it gets wet its not overly dark.

I did set a pack down in the sage once and spend and hour looking for it.

Most of my camo is geared towards elk hunting. And I think its all way to dark when I hit the sagebrush.

Edit id be way more into Cypher then fusion.
Lighter tones.

I'm along the lines of "if a solid gets stained, it just blends in better and has earned it's camo" but I will agree that I'd prefer multicam over any of the designer camos (like fusion) iffn I wanted a camo pack.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
We are testing a different fabric right now but I haven't made that final decision yet. The K3 fabric has been fantastic from a durability standpoint.

To get to the root of your question though exactly what that fabric is, is a lot less important than you might think. If you have experienced slipping with the K3 just swapping out to a stickier fabric would be more or less a band aid. It might help a little but won't get to the root of cause.

I have spent the vast majority of my time the last 3 years working on the lower of the K4 (frame connection, lumbar pad, shape/size/thickness of the lower plastic, hip-belt, etc) The goal was to address the slipping that some customers felt but also not to create an issue for the majority of people who love how the K3 feels. It's a balance of lumbar pressure, rigidity of the lower and how the weight transfers into and through the hipbelt. I am extremely happy with where things have landed and reviews so far have been very positive to that regard.

Some of the guys on here who are currently testing K4 can probably chime in and confirm.
I've only packed one antelope so far, but it was very comfortable with zero slippage. I don't have issues with the K3 slipping either.

Reactions: ZDR

aion2come

WKR
Here's my feedback. I'm not a tester (but would be more than happy to be one!), so my comments are based on the pictures. First, the hipbelt looks to be a huge improvement. Very nice. I like the new attachment system.

Most of my observations are on the bag though. I will miss the taller stretchy side pockets. Loved those. Also would like at least one open topped side sleeve, rather than both closed. From trekking poles, to arrows, to just a place to quickly stuff things, I like the open top. Finally, it appears the stretchy pocket on the back is no longer in the new design. In my opinion, this is one of the key features that made Exo bags the best bags out there. I hope this is reconsidered as final decisions are made regarding the bag designs.

All that being said, Exo is one of the best in the business. Best wishes with the K4 launch. I'll certainly check them out.

Here's my feedback. I'm not a tester (but would be more than happy to be one!), so my comments are based on the pictures. First, the hipbelt looks to be a huge improvement. Very nice. I like the new attachment system.

Most of my observations are on the bag though. I will miss the taller stretchy side pockets. Loved those. Also would like at least one open topped side sleeve, rather than both closed. From trekking poles, to arrows, to just a place to quickly stuff things, I like the open top. Finally, it appears the stretchy pocket on the back is no longer in the new design. In my opinion, this is one of the key features that made Exo bags the best bags out there. I hope this is reconsidered as final decisions are made regarding the bag designs.

All that being said, Exo is one of the best in the business. Best wishes with the K4 launch. I'll certainly check them out.
Agreed on all of the above.

The K4 frame & hipbelt look absolutely awesome. But the open-top side sleeves, stretchy front panel, and big water bottle pockets are a huge part of why I purchased a K3 and not a Stone Glacier or Kifaru bag. I think the K3 bag designs are the best on the market, it would be a bummer to see those design features go away.

Last edited:

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
Agreed on all of the above.

The K4 frame & hipbelt look absolutely awesome. But the open-top side sleeves, stretchy front panel, and big water bottle pockets are a huge part of why I purchased a K3 and not a Stone Glacier or Kifaru bag. I think the K3 bag designs are the best on the market right, it would be a bummer to see those design features go away.
As a guy who thought and said all of that to Steve. Once I started using this pack I really liked the changes. The side zip pockets are much more usable and easier to get things in and out. The lower pockets work very well and can now be accessed without taking the pack off. There is still a stretch back pocket on the 5000 so not sure what people are complaining about there. Just a reminder also the bag features could change. As Steve mentioned, his primary concern with these prototypes is to make sure the frame is perfect. The bags are much more simple to modify and are still subject to change.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Preferences are interesting. I found I almost never used the stretch pocket on the back. Nor did I find the deep side pockes as useful as I expected.

Though I was one of the odd balls that adjusted the frame hight in the field.

I'm excited about the hip belt. That alone will likely put an Exo back in my gear closet.

As a guy who thought and said all of that to Steve. Once I started using this pack I really liked the changes. The side zip pockets are much more usable and easier to get things in and out. The lower pockets work very well and can now be accessed without taking the pack off. There is still a stretch back pocket on the 5000 so not sure what people are complaining about there. Just a reminder also the bag features could change. As Steve mentioned, his primary concern with these prototypes is to make sure the frame is perfect. The bags are much more simple to modify and are still subject to change.
Looking more closely at the pictures, I may be passing judgement too quickly, without having all the facts/knowing all the features. I like the looks of the new "doubled" lower pockets, and it does seem like there is some sort of (possibly zippered?) side sleeve still on the 3600.

Make no mistake, I'm already trying to get my buddy to buy my K3 from me so I can buy a K4 as soon it comes out!
takemymoney.jpg

mlgc20

WKR
A question on the new design of the side pockets. Currently, on my K3 bags, I have a bladder in the right tall side pocket. Would I still be able to use a bladder in either side pocket?

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
A question on the new design of the side pockets. Currently, on my K3 bags, I have a bladder in the right tall side pocket. Would I still be able to use a bladder in either side pocket?
They're actually a bit bigger and have attachment points inside so I would think it would work better for that

Juan_ID

WKR
Classified Approved
We are testing a different fabric right now but I haven't made that final decision yet. The K3 fabric has been fantastic from a durability standpoint.

To get to the root of your question though exactly what that fabric is, is a lot less important than you might think. If you have experienced slipping with the K3 just swapping out to a stickier fabric would be more or less a band aid. It might help a little but won't get to the root of cause.

I have spent the vast majority of my time the last 3 years working on the lower of the K4 (frame connection, lumbar pad, shape/size/thickness of the lower plastic, hip-belt, etc) The goal was to address the slipping that some customers felt but also not to create an issue for the majority of people who love how the K3 feels. It's a balance of lumbar pressure, rigidity of the lower and how the weight transfers into and through the hipbelt. I am extremely happy with where things have landed and reviews so far have been very positive to that regard.

Some of the guys on here who are currently testing K4 can probably chime in and confirm.
Thank you, I appreciate the reply and take your word on the material change. So what may the root of the problem be for the slippage in your opinion? I love the way the pack feels and rides but with heavy loads it just seems to sag and push my pants down so I’m constantly pulling them up. Maybe it’s just that I wear my pants too low? 🤷‍♂️

Thank you, I appreciate the reply and take your word on the material change. So what may the root of the problem be for the slippage in your opinion? I love the way the pack feels and rides but with heavy loads it just seems to sag and push my pants down so I’m constantly pulling them up. Maybe it’s just that I wear my pants too low? 🤷‍♂️

We have tracked this issue for the last couple years pretty closely trying to pinpoint exactly what body shapes lend themselves to people having the slipping issue with K3's. I was hoping to find a constant theme so I could more specifically address the issue in the K4 design. Unfortunately I was unable to find anything that was a constant. Roughly 15% of people experience some minor slipping which can almost always be addressed by our stiffer lumbar pad option and the shim kit (https://exomtngear.com/collections/accessories/products/k3-lumbar-kit)

This kit creates more lumbar pressure / contact with the lumbar area and helps limit any slipping. The opposite is true for the majority of guys though, it creates too much lumbar pressure and can be uncomfortable.

Of that 15-20% there is a much smaller percentage of guys where it doesn't matter what we do the pack will slide down on them once loaded. They seem to be skinnier, have bony hips, a very flat lumbar area and no butt.

In designing K4 my goal was to address this issue for those guys while not creating an issue for the majority of guys the K3 rides very well on. So far I am very happy with the results.

@S&S ARCHERY the 5000 cu.in is that total? Meaning the 4800 was actually 5200 with lid. Also is cost going to be the same as K3?

Thank you,

Adam

I haven't done the final measurements on it but with the lid it's probably around 5500. Again, all of this is subject to change before we go to final production.

Cost will definitely go up, if I had to guess right now it will be around $50 more per pack. Raw materials have increased substantially the last few years. We are the only company among our competitors that didn't do a price increase this year. We were able to do this because we purchased all of the raw good needs we had for 22' back in 21' and just sat on the inventory. That was unavoidable for K4.

Thank you
I haven't done the final measurements on it but with the lid it's probably around 5500. Again, all of this is subject to change before we go to final production.

Cost will definitely go up, if I had to guess right now it will be around $50 more per pack. Raw materials have increased substantially the last few years. We are the only company among our competitors that didn't do a price increase this year. We were able to do this because we purchased all of the raw good needs we had for 22' back in 21' and just sat on the inventory. That was unavoidable for K4.
Sorry Steve one more...

Will there be a similar crib attachment for things such a training? If so, has there been improvement on the crib? I never could get my K3 crib to work properly. I went back and forth with Jake and he even sent me a new crib and new metal buckles, but I still had slippage. Where the top fo the crib clips into the webbing I could never get the top webbing to stop slipping making the sand bag sag down over time while hiking.

Agree with all of this, as these are the exact features that separate exo from kifaru and make it a better bag.

I like the open top side pockets.. makes it pretty easy to put tripod, trekking poles or anything of that sort in them.

No open top will be a pain in the ass for getting a tripod in a zippered pocket... I know this from using my kifaru bags

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Thank you

Sorry Steve one more...

Will there be a similar crib attachment for things such a training? If so, has there been improvement on the crib? I never could get my K3 crib to work properly. I went back and forth with Jake and he even sent me a new crib and new metal buckles, but I still had slippage. Where the top fo the crib clips into the webbing I could never get the top webbing to stop slipping making the sand bag sag down over time while hiking.

Yeah there will be a very similar product to the K3 Crib. I have not heard of or seen those metal G hooks not working properly. I designed and have those made here in Boise specifically for us because the metal G hook offerings on the market don't work properly. I'll get with Jake and we'll get back to you to figure out what was going on.