Exo Mountain K4?

flemdogg

Lil-Rokslider
First, we are lucky as shit to have the owner/lead designer of Exo so openly share information and answer people's questions on a public forum. Especially this far in advance of a high risk product release. Considering how hyper competitive the industry is; it just goes to show how confident Steve is in his product which is pretty awesome.

I will say that I used to run an Exo K3 3200, and 4800. I packed out a small pile of animals with it and I know that I am in the minority here but the system and I did not conform. I agree with many above that the K3 bag design is the best there is, but personally that frame and lumbar jacked me up when dead critters were getting rides. As a Treasure Valley resident I am hoping that this new K4 system is as legit as the testers are saying it is. I know a few and I've also chatted with Jake locally, and they are saying be ready for it. I currently run a Stone Glacier R3 and that thing is bad ass in the mountains, but as an Idaho local and one that favors the more organic "cottage" type companies, I will be one of the first in line to buy a new K4 system. Personally, I'm stoked to see coyote back in the line-up. Cant wait to get my hands on one!

Last edited:

krisn416

WKR
Might have been covered already, but anyone know if the K4 will have more than one shoulder strap size?

I'm glad I finally got around to checking back in on the K4. Chomping at the bit to pick one up. Keep us updated testers.

Seeknelk

WKR
Might have been covered already, but anyone know if the K4 will have more than one shoulder strap size?
I want to know also. CAN YOU MAKE LONGER SHOULDER STRAPS as an option PLEASE! Chest measures 48" around and a lot of that is depth in the chest and back, so my K1 and K2 padding ended right on the pec somewhere.

md126

WKR
Hi Steve, Thabks again for the info.

Maybe it’s just me or the pics but that 3600 looks huge (and tall). Do you have any pics of it compressed in “day hunting” mode?
Thanks

md126

WKR
Maybe a tester could comment on the bags volume size/design and how it compresses for everyday hunting.
Thanks

md126

WKR
I hope the 3600 has the same horseshoe zipper and front stretch pocket. It doesn’t look like it based on the pics but maybe they’ve tweaked it since then.

huntnful

WKR
I hope the 3600 has the same horseshoe zipper and front stretch pocket. It doesn’t look like it based on the pics but maybe they’ve tweaked it since then.
It doesn’t. But I’m not sure of the necessity of it honestly. I have the K3 4800 that has the horseshoe zipper, and don’t use it in any special way compared to my K2 3400 or K4 3600 that don’t have it. I will absolutely be buying the 5000 bag once it is released though! I tested the 3600 by choice this year because I didn’t have any winter time pack-in hunts and felt I could do all hunts this year out of the 3600. It was perfect. But the 5000 will be just right when carrying the Tipi and stove and extra warm weather layers for late October and November hunts!

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
The 3600 and whatever the biggest version measured out to are both designed to be as light as possible. Think minimalist lower 48 hunter and ultra light 10-14 day Alaska type hunter as design parameters. The 5000 is the feature rich model for the hunter who isn't counting ounces. This was how Steve explained it when I was trying to get him to add some features to the bigger pack. Trust me when I say he's put a lot of thought into this. I'm excited for everyone else to get to see these.

Last edited:
A lot of pages on this one so I may have missed the answers to my questions.

Will the system be as stupid simple to access the meat shelf? That’s one thing I am in love with on the K3. Zero effort involved to get it packed in there.

And are those straps even thicker? Most comfortable straps I’ve used getting even better?

And the last one. Will you please release it now? My credit card is ready to eat!

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
A lot of pages on this one so I may have missed the answers to my questions.

Will the system be as stupid simple to access the meat shelf? That’s one thing I am in love with on the K3. Zero effort involved to get it packed in there.

And are those straps even thicker? Most comfortable straps I’ve used getting even better?

And the last one. Will you please release it now? My credit card is ready to eat!
The attachment at the top is totally different but just as easy.

Not sure if the shoulder straps are thicker or not but they are very comfortable.

The attachment at the top is totally different but just as easy.

Not sure if the shoulder straps are thicker or not but they are very comfortable.
Thanks. It looks phenomenal. Very much looking forward to this. Seems to solve any dislikes I had with the former, which were really not issues and keep (or improve) that comfort.

md126

WKR
The horseshoe zipper is nice but not totally required. I did use and really like the stretch pocket though. I hope they kept that on the 3600 too

The horseshoe zipper is nice but not totally required. I did use and really like the stretch pocket though. I hope they kept that on the 3600 too
Zippers really loose there appeal when you catch a $500 sleeping bag in one, tear it and have to tape up the hole because feathers are coming out.
A bag with no zippers at all is fine with me.