Exo Mountain Gear

ChrisA

WKR
I was on a budget back when I got my first ever pack and the pre-order price for my gen 1 3500 was pretty good. It served me well from a day pack to hauling in tree stands and hauling out several elk, mule deer and whitetail. A K3 4800 just showed up today and I fitted it then stuffed my rifle in a side pouch, trekking poles in the other and loaded the main bag up with 45 lbs of gear and water.

I put 1.5 miles on in my hilly pasture and the K3 did not disappoint; felt great and carried the load well. I can't say enough good about the customer service I've received from EXO over the years and the excellent communication while waiting for my K3.

I'm sure the few other major pack manufacturers have great packs and service also but I've not needed to find out yet.

Chris

DeepForks

FNG
Love my EXO. In my opinion, it's worth the money.
Either your back and shoulders are going to pay the price...or...your wallets going to pay.
You pick.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I went through a lot of packs in my pack evolution. I got a SG to work with a custom belt mod, have not tried the newer frame / belt system, but Exo fit me good out of the box. My biggest grief with Exo was I wanted a bigger pack bag... They seem to have addressed that with their latest offering, but I have yet to see one in person to see just how much bigger it is than my 5500. They are a solid, high quality pack, with great customer service.

Lochtsa71

Lil-Rokslider
I live in Boise and have visited their shop and they are super solid people that stand behind their products. You can't go wrong with their packs.

87TT

WKR
Let's just say yeah! I just spent all last night packing out an elk. Granted it was a spike but still. I did it in three trips. First with my usual hunting load around 25 lbs. along with a hind quarter, two backstraps and two tenderloins plus my bow strapped on back. Stand up with that load was the trick but I got out in the dark. Not bad for an old dude. Like I've said before, " unless it catches fire or someone steals it, I've bought my last pack".

chops24

WKR
Ive used Mystery Ranch, Kifaru and Exo. Hauled meat with all of them and absolutely love my Exo. The only thing i see myself buying is a newer Exo but im one of those that prefers an old worn looking pack over a shiny new one so that likely wont be happening anytime soon.

Lochtsa71

Lil-Rokslider
Do you feel it was worth the upgrade to the K3?
Are there significant features or fit that make the upgrade wothwhile?

I use an external frame Barneys pack for all of my hunting, except when I do boat based bear hunts. In and out of a skiff all the time isn't really ideal with a frame pack. I've been using a Stone Glacier for these bear hunts, but can't say I've been overly impressed with it. Yesterday I made an impulse buy and picked up an Exo K3 6400. I'll be using it on my bear hunts that start next week and I'll be sure to let you guys know my first impressions, and how its compares to my older Stone Glacier.

Josh

Do you feel it was worth the upgrade to the K3?
Are there significant features or fit that make the upgrade wothwhile?

As far as comfort and packing meat I feel there isnt much of an upgrade from the K2 to the K3. The new K3 has convenience features such as easier to get to the load sling, easier to get to the water bladder and more convenient access to the main bag. I feel the k3 is just a more convenient k2. Got a week in the mountains with mine and am more than happy with the cost of the upgrade. That said, I was also more than happy with my k2!

You can do like I did - buy a few shitty packs and suffer over two decades, then buy an Exo!

Buy once, cry once... can’t take it with you!

I have an Exo K2 3500 and 2000, in my opinion they are by far the most comfortable packs I've ever owned and their customer service is amazing.

cvanman

Lil-Rokslider
With an Exo pack, the weight of a load is kept high and tight to your back. The weight is focused on your hips. You can't go wrong with an EXO.

I use an external frame Barneys pack for all of my hunting, except when I do boat based bear hunts. In and out of a skiff all the time isn't really ideal with a frame pack. I've been using a Stone Glacier for these bear hunts, but can't say I've been overly impressed with it. Yesterday I made an impulse buy and picked up an Exo K3 6400. I'll be using it on my bear hunts that start next week and I'll be sure to let you guys know my first impressions, and how its compares to my older Stone Glacier.

Josh

Are you using an Xcurve frame on your Stone Glacier?