Exo Mountain Gear

Are they worth the money? I have used 150$ packs for a few years with a quarter of an elk I get tried fast. Does Exo help with this? I heard it has. I just dont wanna spend the money on a new quite yet.

Poser

WKR
If you are packing heavy loads for long distances, then yes, they are worth it. I have a 2014 first generation (in OG ASAT) that is till in use with only one zipper repair on the lid.

Now, if you’re only packing one Ana I also every 1-3 years over moderate distances and on piste, then the expense is debatable.

OP
E
If you are packing heavy loads for long distances, then yes, they are worth it. I have a 2014 first generation (in OG ASAT) that is till in use with only one zipper repair on the lid.

Now, if you’re only packing one Ana I also every 1-3 years over moderate distances and on piste, then the expense is debatable.
On a good I got anywhere for 6-10 miles. Thats what I am looking for. Something that is reasonably price.

They are definitely worth the money, but things are a bit different for me over here.

Before I bought my Exo I bought an expensive hiking pack made by an Australian manufacturer. It is a beautiful piece of gear but not quite hunting specific, so the tripod carry options weren't quite as good and there is no option to detach the bag from the frame when hauling a big load of meat out.

Besides this pack and my Exo, I've never owned a big, expensive pack before. I've had stuff from Badlands and Blade Runner, but nothing that makes me worried about how much money I spent.

Down here, I hunt year-round, and have packed dozens of animals out with my Exo 5500 in the 18 months (or so) that I've owned it. Never an animal as big as an elk, but many, MANY times I've packed out an entire fallow deer (head, front legs, back legs, and backstraps) and it's held up perfectly.

If you hunt enough to justify the purchase, it's easy. If you really want one but don't get out all that much, justifying the money may be difficult.

You’re getting tired? Like sucking wind and weak legs? A pack won’t help much with that.

It would be more comfortable, and then comfort would be one less thing to have to push through. It could keep your back and shoulders from getting less tired. But if we are talking heart rate and sucking air, the pack is not where I’d start.

OP
E
You’re getting tired? Like sucking wind and weak legs? A pack won’t help much with that.

It would be more comfortable, and then comfort would be one less thing to have to push through. It could keep your back and shoulders from getting less tired. But if we are talking heart rate and sucking air, the pack is not where I’d start.
I mean like my back and shoulders.

87TT

WKR
I never thought I would spend the money either. I got a Kuiu pack on sale and it was nice but it had a squeak I couldn't get rid of. And it wasn't real comfortable with heavy loads. Since I'm only a couple of hours away, I stopped in at EXO and tried one out in the store. They strapped a 25# bag of sand on it and I wore it around. Never even noticed the weight. I now wear it every day with 45# for training 3 to 3 1/2 miles a day up and down hills. (yeah, I walked out of the store with it and a new charge on the card)

Last edited:
OP
E
Yeah. People say they are. I hunt enough I could justify it i guess lol
I never though I would spend the money either. I got a Kuiu pack on sale and it was nice but it had a squeak I couldn't get rid of. And it wasn't real comfortable with heavy loads. Since I'm only a couple of hours away, I stopped in at EXO and tried one out in the store. They strapped a 25# bag of sans on it and I wore it around. Never even noticed the weight. I now wear it every day with 45# for training 3 to 3 1/2 miles a day up and down hills. (yeah, I walked out of the store with it and a new charge on the card)

Rob5589

WKR
One of the best investments I have made in gear, other than boots. The ability to carry heavy weight and the fact that they are designed to hunt with, make it a no brainer. I am at 50ish pounds in mine and when I grab it, it seems pretty damn heavy. But it does not feel "heavy" when wearing it. You know you are carrying some weight but, it doesn't kill you. If that makes sense.

Their CS is fantastic like @87TT mentioned. I needed a buckle so I emailed and they responded in less than 12 hours asking for my address to send one out. Had a couple questions on the 3500, same deal, got back to me very quickly. Based on how busy they all seem to be at EXO, that is impressive. Oh, great podcast as well.

The exo is "next level" at carrying weight. You have to try one to understand how comfortable they are! The load lifter system removes the pressure on your shoulders in a way that I never thought possible. Yes they are expensive though! I am getting older and have a much harder time in the mountains these days. I just ordered the latest exo and it was a large purchase! Hunting to me is a 12 month of the year lifestyle though so its money well spent.

I have been running the K2 with a 3500 for the past couple of years and it has exceeded my expectations. This is the first "serious" pack that I have run and it has taken everything I've thrown at it. When loaded down the comfort is incredible. Definitely not the most affordable pack out there but worth every penny IMO. With the new K3 frame and bags out now I would keep an eye out in the classifieds. A lot of people seem to be upgrading to the new frame and bags so there's a good chance you can pick up a used one at a decent price.

Djc21

FNG
They will be my first high end pack I purchase. Check out their podcast if you can. Great info!

Michael22

FNG
Are they worth the money? I have used 150$ packs for a few years with a quarter of an elk I get tried fast. Does Exo help with this? I heard it has. I just dont wanna spend the money on a new quite yet.
I have a K2 5500 multi cam medium belt for sell if interested was going to reply on your other post but it wouldn't let me.

mcseal2

WKR
I really like mine, a K2 3500. I love the weight and the layout of the bag for the majority of my hunting. The Exo is rigid vertically while still flexing with me incredibly well traversing burns and going over downed trees. I love the lateral flex, makes it feel like it's not a frame pack.

That said I don't think the hip belt holds a candle to the Kifaru hip belt for me with a big load. I like hunting with the Exo better on 90% of my hunts and don't have any problem packing weight with it. I used it training last year with a 80lb bag of sack crete and the crib. For pure packing of heavy loads though the pack I got for my moose hunt works better for me. It's a Kifaru 26" tactical frame with a Nomad 2, Grab It, and extra compression straps. I can just get the Kifaru hip belt tighter and put more weight on my hips with it. The hip belt is wider and just works better for the big loads.

I am glad to have both packs. In the future I will hunt any thing smaller than moose with the Exo and keep the Kifaru in the truck for hauling meat after the first trip out. If something fails on one training before a hunt the other is more than capable of filling in. The Kifaru as I have it set up is a bit over 2lbs heavier than the Exo. The Nomad 2 bag is great as a designated meat hauler because the batwings can hold my emergency gear plus water bottles without interfering at all with the pack going back in for extra loads. An extra pack, rifle, and boots are items I will bring as far as a vehicle can bring them on hunts. I figure those are the most important items to have back-ups of somewhat close for my hunting. I always have a couple knives and multiple ways to make fire with me.

Just my 2 cents on a couple of the better packs on the market. I set them up to complement each other, not fill the same niche.

Can’t go wrong with an exo. Wish I would’ve gotten mine sooner instead of spending a bunch of money on lower end packs.