exo or kifaru

Dalen88

Lil-Rokslider
hey all i know this gets beat to death but im looking at getting another pack because my wife if going to be coming with me more this year, i already own a exo k2 5500 that i like very much, its been on 10 day sheep hunts in northern b.c and backpack hunts around where i live. I always hear that kifaru's are great and have a itch to try a hoodlum, or does a guy go with what you know and get a k3 6400? I know lots of guys in the states ill order both and send back the one they dont like as much but being in canada the shipping gets pretty crazy. Any help is appreciated!

will your EXO fit the wife? If so, give her that, get the Kifaru for yourself. If you don’t like it, you can sell it and recoup most of your investment.

xcutter

WKR
I have a Kifaru and an EXO. Both fantastic packs and frames. The Kifaru fits me better but I'm a big guy. Seemed like the EXO was just not wide enough for my frame. Straps were always digging into my traps. The EXO fits my wife really well. Super comfortable for her.

You didn't mention this brand but I picked up a SG for my wife - the frame just fit her best. There's a lot of guys here from B.C. ( I know I know, it's a huge province) you might post something on here asking if there's anybody willing to let your wife try on their 'X' brand pack. I'd bet you have some takers. Just a thought!

OP
Dalen88

Dalen88

Lil-Rokslider
thanks for everyones help, sorry i wasnt clear, i am going to let her run the exo and get something else to try for myself, leaning towards the kifaru, i havent much cared for the layout of the stone packs im sure they are top notch though! i have a couple buddies that have them and really like them.

madcalfe

WKR
i just switched from a stone glacier sky talus 6900 to a kifaru hoodlum and really digging it. already packed a bear and have been out hiking with sandbags. I bought the tactical and duplex frame sheets and find myself using the tactical more. precision optics in quesnel is stocking kifaru bags right now they were selling out fast though.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I would say try the Kifaru. In some ways the Exo K3 is better than the K2, but in others the K2 is better. Overall, I don't think you will be missing out by trying the Kifaru.

That said, I have never used a Kifaru. I just am not as impressed with the K3 as I expected to be. If you did not already have a K2, I would recommend the Exo. But, other than the adjustable frame hight, the best of the K3 is largely represented in the K2, so see what something else is about.

Edit: For some more background, I was looking at getting a Seek Outside to have a second hunting pack (one for my wife) then Exo came out with the K3 and I got that instead. Now I have a Seek Outside anyway and wish I had just gotten it to start with. So my advice is based largely on that.

Last edited:

JNDEER

WKR
What about the K2 did you like? Size, fit, move ability?

they are different frames. The kifaru is stiffer than the exo. I am a fairly straight back guy and the “normal” stays on me with heavy load almost feel to pull away from my back more then the same weight in the k2 or k3.

The kifaru does fit well and has a great belt system- but the two packs do not feel the same.

eoperator

WKR
I sure like the exo bag lay out, but the kifaru belt is just plain more comfortable for me than the k3 belt

No experience with EXO.
I bought a Kifaru years ago. Very comfortable especially when heavy.
No regrets.

OP
Dalen88

Dalen88

Lil-Rokslider
What about the K2 did you like? Size, fit, move ability?

they are different frames. The kifaru is stiffer than the exo. I am a fairly straight back guy and the “normal” stays on me with heavy load almost feel to pull away from my back more then the same weight in the k2 or k3.

The kifaru does fit well and has a great belt system- but the two packs do not feel the same.
the size is nice, the compressabitlity, the roll top is killer and it carry's weight well, and really like the bag layout. Figured the hoodlum isnt far off the exo bag layout.
Mostly using my wife kinda needing a pack as a good excuse for me to try a kifaru haha, everyone keeps saying how bomber they are.

A couple years ago I was in the same boat. I bought my wife the Kuiu pack system. She hiked it for a while with no complaints. Then I came across a hunter frame with an xtra small belt and bought it for her to try out. She liked it much better. It had the curved stays.

The only advice I have is i think the curved stays and thicker lumbar pad are a great combination for alot of women. Their back and butt profile seems to be more applicable to those setups. Guys tend to have a flatter profile in that area. Which makes pack fit tougher for the perfect feel. But, the way a lot of women are built with a plump butt, smaller waste, and a curve in their spine, the Kifaru is a top choice in my mind. It sure made a difference with my wife.

JNDEER

WKR
the size is nice, the compressabitlity, the roll top is killer and it carry's weight well, and really like the bag layout. Figured the hoodlum isnt far off the exo bag layout.
Mostly using my wife kinda needing a pack as a good excuse for me to try a kifaru haha, everyone keeps saying how bomber they are.
Those who love them will die with them on their backs. Just know that the fit and feel of the frame is much different compared to the exo and there are some who cannot get the kifaru to fit and feel right.

I too got stuck with the amount of praise the kifaru packs are given too and have owned two and still own one. They are well built (so is kuiu, exo, stone glacier). Best feel of a belt around the waist of all listed above- but I will say if the pack frame doesn’t fit your body type well it won’t carry weight any better than any other pack.

Rokslide did a great pack review that goes over many packs, the fit and feel as well and it’s

madcalfe

WKR
Those who love them will die with them on their backs. Just know that the fit and feel of the frame is much different compared to the exo and there are some who cannot get the kifaru to fit and feel right.

I too got stuck with the amount of praise the kifaru packs are given too and have owned two and still own one. They are well built (so is kuiu, exo, stone glacier). Best feel of a belt around the waist of all listed above- but I will say if the pack frame doesn’t fit your body type well it won’t carry weight any better than any other pack.

Rokslide did a great pack review that goes over many packs, the fit and feel as well and it’s
this is 100% true. I originally got the semi curved stays in my backpack hiked with 50lbs and had the worst pain in my lower back. switched to curved stays and 1000x better don't even feel like I'm carry weight anymore. the nice thing about kifaru is if the curved or semi curved stays don't work you can also get the aluminum stays and custom fit it to your back profile

OP
Dalen88

Dalen88

Lil-Rokslider
how does a guy know for sure if you need the curved stays? i think my back is quite curved but dont know where the line if betwee
this is 100% true. I originally got the semi curved stays in my backpack hiked with 50lbs and had the worst pain in my lower back. switched to curved stays and 1000x better don't even feel like I'm carry weight anymore. the nice thing about kifaru is if the curved or semi curved stays don't work you can also get the aluminum stays and custom fit it to your back profile

n the two

JNDEER

WKR
how does a guy know for sure if you need the curved stays? i think my back is quite curved but dont know where the line if betwee

n the two
Video on kifaru YouTube Aron talks about how to do the wall test and the size is the most space at your lower back when heels and back are flush with the wall.