EXO pack durability?

rclouse79

WKR
I am considering an exo for my next pack because they are located in my town and seem to get good reviews. I am a buy good gear and use it for a decade or so kind of guy. I don’t even know how long the company has been around, but I am interested in hearing from guys who have owned an exo pack the longest and have beaten the snot out of it. How do they hold up? Thanks.

Rob5589

WKR
I've had mine since '16. No tears, rub throughs, pulled stitching, or other types of damage. I have only had one pack out opportunity and everything went 100%.

You're lucky being so close that you van check them out for fit. Their shop was closed due to the rona for a while so double check before heading down.

I ran a K2 pretty dang hard for a couple seasons. Probably 600 miles total.
On the very bottom off the lumber pad the rubber anti slip peeled up some. But is say that's mostly my fault for setting it down on lava rocks.

It flew about 50 ft off a cliff full of elk sheds and tore one compression strap partially out. Had a local lady sew it up and went on about life.

brockel

WKR
I’ve had one for 5 years now. Have packed out 3 Aoudad, I think 13 elk, 4 deer, and a ton of coyotes. Not a single issue with the pack. I use through the summer training and then from September 1 to February depending on how coyote fur holds out

Big Dunc

FNG
I've only had mine a year so can't really speak to long term durability. But I can say that so far it's the best pack I've ever owned. I previously had two eberlestocks and a horn hunter. I was happy to get rid of them after a few seasons. I'd fight you for my exo!!

I think the fact they are in your home town I'd be less concerned about hearing long term durability. They consistently stand behind their packs with really good customer service. If you have an issue you don't need to ship it to them, walk in and ask. Granted if a pack fails on a trip, it doesn't matter where they are based out of, it ain't fixing it now.

I'm on my second pack from them. Started with a K2, used it for 2 years then decided I wanted to try the K3. No issues at all, but I'm not as hard as some of the other guys on them.

No cliff tests for me.

I know of several of their first gen packs still in use without issues.

I think the fact they are in your home town I'd be less concerned about hearing long term durability. They consistently stand behind their packs with really good customer service. If you have an issue you don't need to ship it to them, walk in and ask. Granted if a pack fails on a trip, it doesn't matter where they are based out of, it ain't fixing it now.

I'm on my second pack from them. Started with a K2, used it for 2 years then decided I wanted to try the K3. No issues at all, but I'm not as hard as some of the other guys on them.

No cliff tests for me.

I know of several of their first gen packs still in use without issues.

Man it sucked. I was so tired and was getting dark in a new area. Needed to get down to the creek bottom.
So I held it down below my feet and dropped it thinking it would just plop on the bench below.
Well apparently that bench was steep and it tumbled. Last I saw it was about 50ft off ground and 20 ft out. Pistol and everything. Of course it landed softly in the Boulder field below. Ugg

It was still functional enough to get those antlers out.

S.Clancy

WKR
I have a first gen frame, 2nd gen pack, owned since late 2014. I'm notoriously tough on gear and have had 2 side zips and a lid zipper fail. All failed on hunts, didn't really affect anything. All were replaced with no issue.

I think I've packed right around 30 animals out with it over 6 years, 7 animals last year alone, and hundreds of lbs of sheds in it. The frame just keeps going. I would concentrate more on how it fits you than anything. If you use any pack hard enough something is gonna break. I'll keep my Exo cause it fits me and they have unreal CS

Sealee12

Lil-Rokslider
Buy with Exo with confidence. They are top notch in terms of durability vs weight. Their Customer service is world class and they will make it right if anything breaks. No pack is indestructible, and my Exo fits me oh so well. If the pack fits...wear it

I've owned my Exo 5500 for close to three years now. It's had a very hard life. I believe I've probably packed out somewhere between 30-40 animals with it - most of them being feral goats, feral pigs, and fallow deer. Some of the loads were big; one of them was five dead goats at one time, but some of those goats were small and they were all quartered. Still, stacks of weight. Any issue with getting those loads out of the mountains will be with your own physical strength and not that of the pack.

I also took it on a week long hiking/packing trip in Papua New Guinea; harsh rainforest environment. My pack was the standout in the group by far and everyone was impressed by it, but a lot of these people weren't really hardcore hikers/hunters.

I'd buy another one without hesitation.

OP
rclouse79

rclouse79

WKR
Thanks for all the awesome replies. One of my friends just got a new one. I will see if I can hike around with weight in it to check the fit. If it feels good I think I am pretty much sold.

Vids

WKR
Another experience here. Have had my first gen 5500 since about 2015 (bought used here on Rokslide). Packed out several elk and antelope with it, along with countless sandbags to the tops of the foothills. Last winter I took the bag off and noticed the frame was starting to rub through a bit. I sent a picture to Exo and asked them about it, they said send it in and they would fix it. It came back quickly with a solid patch/stitch job to fix it. Buy with confidence.

Also know that any pack can fail on you. I had a Kifaru prior to the Exo and the stitching on the belt came apart on an elk hunt. They were great about repairing it, but even though Kifaru is known for making a solid pack those can fail too. This isn't why I switched to Exo, I just didn't like the fit of the Kifaru.

But, you're right to check the fit. I've found that's a critical factor. As long as it fits you right, I don't see a big difference between the high end packs available. I shop based on fit and functionality as it suits me.

ExoMtnGear

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Just wanted to jump in here and mention that we are happy to hear our Customer Support is doing well. As a small company, it really means a lot to us and we really appreciate the feedback. Thank you to everyone who has supported us throughout the years, and we look forward to what is to come.

@rclouse79, if you have any specific questions about durability, materials used, or fitting; you can give us a call at (208) 995-4688 or come by the shop. One of us here can give you a demonstration on whatever pack you are interested in and also get you fitted.

Cheers,

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Only issue I’ve had over many years is a mouse wanting to eat its way into my bag for goodies🤙 You will enjoy the pack for decades

I have had my k2 3500 since 2017 and it has been one of the best gear purchases I’ve made. I’ve hauled several animals and hundreds of sheds off the mountain with mine. Only ever had one issue which was 100% my fault. I busted the hip belt buckle by slamming it in my truck. I contacted them about getting another and they sent me a new buckle for free that day.

if for some reason it broke tomorrow, I’d order a new one without hesitation. I use the hell out of that pack and I think it’s going to be good for at least another few years.

You will have no issues with an Exo. My first pack was a 1st Gen that I was at least the 2nd owner on. I used it for a few hunts and 2 elk seasons and it didn't show any wear.

JLane330

Lil-Rokslider
This is a helpful thread. I'm on the fence between EXO, Kifaru and a couple others. I want made in USA, and like the fit of the EXO. The one hang-up I'm concerned about is how the waste belt attaches to the frame as that's what carries the load. Velcro? I understand the adjust-ability, but has anyone had issues with the velcro slipping, wearing out, making noise, etc? Given the reviews above, it appears there isn't anything to worry about, but figure I'll ask anyways. Thanks!

Drenalin

WKR
This is a helpful thread. I'm on the fence between EXO, Kifaru and a couple others. I want made in USA, and like the fit of the EXO. The one hang-up I'm concerned about is how the waste belt attaches to the frame as that's what carries the load. Velcro? I understand the adjust-ability, but has anyone had issues with the velcro slipping, wearing out, making noise, etc? Given the reviews above, it appears there isn't anything to worry about, but figure I'll ask anyways. Thanks!
I haven't had my latest K3 long enough to speak to durability of the velcro. Gotta be the grippiest velcro I've ever seen though - it locks in place, doesn't move at all, and doesn't make a sound. The only velcro noise I get on mine is occasionally when I grab the handle on top of the pack, it pushes up on the flap there and makes a slight noise.