EXO pack durability?

Rob5589

WKR
This is a helpful thread. I'm on the fence between EXO, Kifaru and a couple others. I want made in USA, and like the fit of the EXO. The one hang-up I'm concerned about is how the waste belt attaches to the frame as that's what carries the load. Velcro? I understand the adjust-ability, but has anyone had issues with the velcro slipping, wearing out, making noise, etc? Given the reviews above, it appears there isn't anything to worry about, but figure I'll ask anyways. Thanks!
The belt doesn't move. In fact, it's a pita to get loose. Like Drenalin said, that stuff is grippy as all get out.

md126

WKR
Never had a belt slippage issue. You’d think it would be a possibility but it’s not

Stalker69

WKR
I asked about all the Velcro also, everyone says they are warranted for life, so if it wears out they will replace it. Not sure that’s true but if so, i guess it’s not a big issue.

This is a helpful thread. I'm on the fence between EXO, Kifaru and a couple others. I want made in USA, and like the fit of the EXO. The one hang-up I'm concerned about is how the waste belt attaches to the frame as that's what carries the load. Velcro? I understand the adjust-ability, but has anyone had issues with the velcro slipping, wearing out, making noise, etc? Given the reviews above, it appears there isn't anything to worry about, but figure I'll ask anyways. Thanks!

I bought both the Exo K3 4800 and Kifaru Duplex Lite/44 Mag and tested them. I ended up sticking with the Kifaru, but it was not because the Exo was in any way a bad pack. Both packs will last you a lifetime, but I do believe that the Kifaru will last through your kids lifetime - that comes with a weight penalty.

The good news here is that each of those packs are very different in that you can have a pretty good idea of which one will work best for you - feature wise - without seeing them in person. From that point you just have to hope that pack with your preferred features fits the best out of the 2.

Kifaru - If you are military, it will feel more familiar in function. As mentioned above, I do believe the Kifaru is the more bomb proof of the 2, but I believe the Kifaru weighed 1.5 pounds more than the Exo 4800. Kifaru is far more modular with the pockets and pouches and lids they offer. I preferred the belt on the Kifaru. The meat shelf on the Kifaru is a little more involved that most packs, but once youve done it a few times its not so bad.

Exo - Definitely a more minimalist approach. Accessing and loading the meat shelf is FAR easier with the Exo. The pack is laid out well, and is clearly a lighter option. The pack layout almost keeps you honest with adding gear you dont need. You have a lid and zippered pouches on the pack. There isnt a bunch of attachment points and external pockets/pouches to add - which you will inevitably figure out how to fill up. Lighter pack from the outset, laid out to sort of keep you packing in lighter as well.

i have had 2 EXO packs, and i came full circle back to them. they are excellent quality, seemingly the perfect balance between weight and durability. i'm hard on everything, and pack problems aren't on my mind, i'm confident in EXO 100%

like others have said, personal pack fit is the only concern you should have with EXO, they are the most comfy pack on my back, but i know pack fit is pretty individual, but love my EXO. great packs, great CS, all around great company to support.

Im in the market for a backpack too. Ive developed arthritis in my back and need to carry more of the weight on my hips. How does the lumbar support function for those of you with back problems? Thanks.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I am considering an exo for my next pack because they are located in my town and seem to get good reviews. I am a buy good gear and use it for a decade or so kind of guy. I don’t even know how long the company has been around, but I am interested in hearing from guys who have owned an exo pack the longest and have beaten the snot out of it. How do they hold up? Thanks.

if you haven’t hit our homepage, there are multiple EXO reviews; search upper right side.

Can’t think of one that hasn’t impressed our writers and there are usually discussion threads linked at end of each article with member input.

hard to beat their CS too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flogger

FNG
Been beating up my k2 2000 for a few years now and it’s held up great. Besides a few stains it’s in great shape. I’ve never had to use EXO CS but I’ve never heard any negative. They are a stand up company and they make great gear in my opinion.

ODB

WKR
EXO packs and dudes are solid. And if you are here in Boise and your bag fails, I guarantee you they will want to see it to learn from it to make them better - and take care of you in the mean time. They just seem to be that type of guys.