EXO Roll Top

Wapiti406

WKR
I am getting close to upgrading my pack. I primary hunt from the pickup. I have only had a handful of 3 day back pack hunts. I’m looking for a solid day pack that has the ability for a multiple day pack hunts. For the most part I’m looking at EXO, Stone Glacier, and Kifaru. I’m leaning more toward the EXO 3500. I think this will fit my needs. I really like the way they have the bag set up.

For those of you with a 2017 EXO mountain 3500/5500 I have a couple questions… On the roll top is there a zipper along the top? I wondering if you could have the bag fully extended and full, without the lid and still have contained bag? Does only rolling once or twice then buckling make a fairly weatherproof seal? For a majority of the time I will have the lid on, I’m just a little curious.

Also, what is it that you dislike about the EXO 3500. It’s not hard to find positive reviews. I’d like to know what people don’t like about it.

Thanks in advance.

Gehri1tm

Lil-Rokslider
I am getting close to upgrading my pack. I primary hunt from the pickup. I have only had a handful of 3 day back pack hunts. I’m looking for a solid day pack that has the ability for a multiple day pack hunts. For the most part I’m looking at EXO, Stone Glacier, and Kifaru. I’m leaning more toward the EXO 3500. I think this will fit my needs. I really like the way they have the bag set up.

For those of you with a 2017 EXO mountain 3500/5500 I have a couple questions… On the roll top is there a zipper along the top? I wondering if you could have the bag fully extended and full, without the lid and still have contained bag? Does only rolling once or twice then buckling make a fairly weatherproof seal? For a majority of the time I will have the lid on, I’m just a little curious.

Also, what is it that you dislike about the EXO 3500. It’s not hard to find positive reviews. I’d like to know what people don’t like about it.

Thanks in advance.

I have the 2017 EXO 5500. There is no zipper along the top of the roll top. I haven't fully extended mine yet but would think that at least one roll over and buckle would be weather proof, along with the lid over top. Love the EXO packs. I haven't had my new one long enough, but not sure if I like the new belt as much compared to last year's model - time on the trail will tell.

buttekid

Lil-Rokslider
I have the 2017 3500. If you don't have much in the pack, you can get several rolls in the top. This how I will probably run it for a daypack. I do plan on buying the waterproof liner for it when they come out this summer but it should seal up nice. I also had the 2015 3500 and it was a very good pack. Looking forward to getting out with this new one. As far as the downside you're asking about, I've had my frustrations with the zipper pocket on the lid. I've inadvertently dumped it out on several occasions. That's been the hardest thing for me to get used to. All things considered, I'm very happy with it.

I have the 2017 EXO 5500. There is no zipper along the top of the roll top. I haven't fully extended mine yet but would think that at least one roll over and buckle would be weather proof, along with the lid over top. Love the EXO packs. I haven't had my new one long enough, but not sure if I like the new belt as much compared to last year's model - time on the trail will tell.

You like the 2016 belt better? I think the new belt is a substantial upgrade. I find it more supportive and more comfortable. I like how it's thicker and cups the waist more naturally. I think it's one of their best upgrades for 2017.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks in advance.

I just received my 2017 5500 and absolutely love it. The upgrade to the hip belt is what I've been waiting for them to do for a while now. The roll top will stay tight and secure, even without using a lid. I don't see there being an issue with water leaking into it.

Honestly, I'd buy the 5500 instead of the 3500. The 5500 is I think 3 inches deeper which makes a huge difference, but still compresses down just as small as the 3500 when you have nothing in the bag. I would highly recommend getting the load panel as well. It adds tremendous versatility to the bag and you can leave it attached in between the bag and frame at all times.

There really isn't anything I think I would change to the bag they have designed. It's simple, functional and efficient. I like how they get to the point with the design and there isn't anything gimmicky about the pack.

OP
Wapiti406

Wapiti406

WKR
Thanks for the input. I think I will go a head with a purchase and see how I like the setup. I don't see any 7+ day hunts in my future so I see the 5500 as a bit overkill for my needs. From everything I read the volume spec is a bit under rated. I currently have a Badlands 4500 and on the few 3 day hunts have yet to fill completely with camp gear going in. I am definitely going to add a crib. It seems like an odd accessory not to throw in the cart.

EsteemGrinders

Lil-Rokslider
Man just get the 5500. You will not regret it at all. To me, it is worth it just to have the side pockets a little bigger honestly. In the 3500 I just could not get much use of them for my gear.
I have had both bags and there is no way I would go back to the 3500 after having the 5500. I don't doing any hunts over 3 days myself either that I can resupply with a trip to the truck. To me, I had no idea what I was missing out with tell I got my 5500 bag vs the 3500. I do use a hammock and it does take some space even with down quilt though. Add food, a stove, kill kit, and some clothes/Jacket and the 3500 filled up fast for me. Now if you just hunting out of a drive in base camp the 3500 would be fine but then again why a 3500 when the 5500 not much more and more usable in my opinion.

Thanks for the input. I think I will go a head with a purchase and see how I like the setup. I don't see any 7+ day hunts in my future so I see the 5500 as a bit overkill for my needs. From everything I read the volume spec is a bit under rated. I currently have a Badlands 4500 and on the few 3 day hunts have yet to fill completely with camp gear going in. I am definitely going to add a crib. It seems like an odd accessory not to throw in the cart.

krisn416

WKR
I have a new 2017 Ranger Green 3500 and love it. Roll top and front zip entry are awesome. The lid is super functional. Buy hip pockets and the velcro stash pockets, they're worth it for extra removable organization. I got mine with all the bells and whistles, and they're all functional and well built.

Waist belt is comfy too. First overnight trip I started getting pressure points on my hips a few miles in, but after some investigation it trurned out it was user-error on my part.

I too am thinkin I could've gone with the 5500, but I plan on getting two of the new Exo drybags and putting one in the meat shelf area for extended trips. It all depends on how much you pack. I tend to pack a lot. You'll love this pack.

Lockster

Lil-Rokslider
I remember figuring that 3500 would probably be ok for my needs, despite the discussion about the sizing being conservative and opportunity to overflow to the load shelf if needed there is rarely a trip where I don't wish I went with the 5500.

also be aware that the side pockets are hard to fill to capacity when the pack itself is full so you can't assume that you can fill both pack and side pockets to capacity, I agree with others here, if there is any advice is offer is to go straight to the 5500.

It's like buying a full size truck and getting a short bed instead of a long bed. I'm glad I went with the long bed.

OP
Wapiti406

Wapiti406

WKR
Oh, I was under the impression that the side pockets were the same stretch material as the front pocket. Just to be clear, the side pockets on the 3500 and 5500 are the same size?

ndflatlander

Lil-Rokslider
Man just get the 5500. You will not regret it at all. To me, it is worth it just to have the side pockets a little bigger honestly. In the 3500 I just could not get much use of them for my gear.
I have had both bags and there is no way I would go back to the 3500 after having the 5500. I don't doing any hunts over 3 days myself either that I can resupply with a trip to the truck. To me, I had no idea what I was missing out with tell I got my 5500 bag vs the 3500. I do use a hammock and it does take some space even with down quilt though. Add food, a stove, kill kit, and some clothes/Jacket and the 3500 filled up fast for me. Now if you just hunting out of a drive in base camp the 3500 would be fine but then again why a 3500 when the 5500 not much more and more usable in my opinion.

This guy nailed it... I purchased the 2015 3500 first and later got the 5500 and haven't looked back since... it compresses down to nothing and I can't hardly tell the difference between the two when it's compressed.