Exo vs mystery ranch?

Coleman51

FNG
Looking between exo and mystery ranch packs for 5 day trips bow hunting. What’s the recommendation?

mtnlomo

FNG
Search through other forums and you'll find the general consensus is EXO as far as durability, comfort and overall quality. MR packs are now made in the Philippines, Vietnam and the USA, while EXO's are made in Boise.

Last edited:

boom

WKR
i only know (of the two) mystery Ranch.

i love mine. it is so tough. i am still rocking a Dragon Slayer! which might be called vintage now at this point.

my exo has been good to me the past 3 or 4 years, I like it and my new kifaru pretty equally for carrying loads from what ive done so far. I don't think you can go wrong with the exo if that's one of your options

Drenalin

WKR
The one whose frame fits you best. I couldn't get the Guide Light MT frame adjusted to be comfortable for me, but the EXO is working pretty well.

Aside from that, I also strongly preferred EXO's 4800 bag to the MR Metcalf I had.

Jbxl20

WKR
The 4800 is plenty big for 5 days but I don’t regret buying my 6400. It packs down just as small as any of the other packs.

boom

WKR
is it just backpacks that need to be USA made?

what about lawn furniture? outdoor couches and tables? USA made would be $20,000..i got mine from Home depot for $800 and I was okay with it. with that hard and fast rule, you cant step into a big box store..Walmart? forget it.

bozeman

WKR
Back on track here: I’ve had both and the Guide Light frame was ‘ok’, the K3 I have has for very well since I got the right belt. Exo was there every step of the way.

Jbxl20

WKR
Which ever you buy try it with 50lbs or whatever you think your max pack weight is going to be. I adjusted mine and hiked for a few weeks comfortably with 30lbs while I was getting used to it. When i started hiking with a 50lb sandbag I needed to make some more adjustments to get it comfortable again.

mtnlomo

FNG

what about lawn furniture? outdoor couches and tables? USA made would be $20,000..i got mine from Home depot for $800 and I was okay with it. with that hard and fast rule, you cant step into a big box store..Walmart? forget it.

Obviously there are other factors, such as price and quality etc. Some people just like the opportunity to support small domestic businesses that operate, manufacture and employ exclusively in the US, especially in today’s day and age. MR is a great company with good quality gear. The reason they do some production foreign is because they had an increase in demand for their product, demand created by a winning product.

Good on you for saving money. I wasn’t trying to disrespect, judge, or advise you or anyone on all of your life present, past and future decisions and purchases. In the end it doesn’t matter to me what the OP straps on his back, it’s his money and his back. I was merely giving my opinion and info to the OP based on his question.

CO-AJ

WKR
EXO. People and the packs are great. I have the K3 6400
I have the same pack EXO K3 6400 and absolutely love it. Even though it is huge it packs down very well and I can even use it as a daypack. Go EXO the only other one I would consider are some of the offerings from Seek Outside, specifically the Lanner.

it's more of a "given the choice" i will support USA made stuff... i get with what you're saying, and i'm sure we can all relate, but with packs, USA made is a plus, because arguably the top 3 or 4 pack companies are made in the USA. if a MR fit me better than the rest, i would probably go that route.... their pop-up is a genius design with no real competition in that niche, and i have no problem owning one (and getting one for my wife)

for a do all pack, the MR aren't in my top 3.... partly due to being made overseas, and largely due to fit. MR packs are as tough as any, pretty dang solid pack, can be found on sale regularly (relatively) i have had a few MR packs, and still have a pop up. my last full size MR was the metcalf.... nothing wrong with it, but not near as good on my back with a heavy load vs EXO and Kifaru. i had a K1 a few years ago, currently have a K2 (both were the 3500) and they were/are both great packs.

EXO does a great job of riding that lightweight/comfortable/durable line, they make them light and comfortable without sacrificing load carrying capability or durability. they are the most comfortable pack to me in hunting mode (not carrying a really heavy load) and do a great job with a heavy load. i think my kifaru makes a really heavy load a little more stable feeling, like the load is connected to your body rather than wearing it, but both are very capable with as much weight as i will carry.... those are the 2 standout packs to me, but pack fit varies between all of us.

EXO is a great company run by a great team that puts out a top shelf product, and have great customer service, and are made here. if i had to choose between MR and EXO sight unseen, it would be an easy choice for me with EXO, and if it ends up not working out, you can send it back or sell it and get most of your money back.... resale on MR isn't very good. i had to sell my metcalf for pretty cheap to move it, and it was in great shape.

nobody can say what pack will fit the best for someone else, but i don't see a downside of buying an American made pack, you have great options with EXO, Kifaru, Stone Glacier, and Seek Outside.... one of those companies builds a pack for any of us that will last a long time and be followed by great customer service, built by hunters.

boom

WKR
it's more of a "given the choice" i will support USA made stuff... i get with what you're saying, and i'm sure we can all relate, but with packs, USA made is a plus, because arguably the top 3 or 4 pack companies are made in the USA. if a MR fit me better than the rest, i would probably go that route.... their pop-up is a genius design with no real competition in that niche, and i have no problem owning one (and getting one for my wife)

for a do all pack, the MR aren't in my top 3.... partly due to being made overseas, and largely due to fit. MR packs are as tough as any, pretty dang solid pack, can be found on sale regularly (relatively) i have had a few MR packs, and still have a pop up. my last full size MR was the metcalf.... nothing wrong with it, but not near as good on my back with a heavy load vs EXO and Kifaru. i had a K1 a few years ago, currently have a K2 (both were the 3500) and they were/are both great packs.

EXO does a great job of riding that lightweight/comfortable/durable line, they make them light and comfortable without sacrificing load carrying capability or durability. they are the most comfortable pack to me in hunting mode (not carrying a really heavy load) and do a great job with a heavy load. i think my kifaru makes a really heavy load a little more stable feeling, like the load is connected to your body rather than wearing it, but both are very capable with as much weight as i will carry.... those are the 2 standout packs to me, but pack fit varies between all of us.

EXO is a great company run by a great team that puts out a top shelf product, and have great customer service, and are made here. if i had to choose between MR and EXO sight unseen, it would be an easy choice for me with EXO, and if it ends up not working out, you can send it back or sell it and get most of your money back.... resale on MR isn't very good. i had to sell my metcalf for pretty cheap to move it, and it was in great shape.

nobody can say what pack will fit the best for someone else, but i don't see a downside of buying an American made pack, you have great options with EXO, Kifaru, Stone Glacier, and Seek Outside.... one of those companies builds a pack for any of us that will last a long time and be followed by great customer service, built by hunters.
well said!! thanks.

Lol MR is still made in America as well.

not their hunting packs.... a few of their packs are built here, but not many, and not hunting packs, and their USA packs are more expensive than their hunting packs
Interesting, I just looked into that and didn't realize. I was under the impression from their faq page they all had the USA option.

Still incredible reviews on all the packs I was looking at. Yeah, I don't see a issue but that's just me.

wcasey755

Lil-Rokslider
I'm just gonna put this out there for the USA made guys. Exo might be made solely in the US, but if I'm correct WHICH I MIGHT NOT BE. The only pack that is 100 percent USA is kifaru. Due to importing materials. Again I could be wrong. ALSO, mystery ranch offers STEEP. I MEAN STEEP discounts for Firefighters, LEOs, and Military. I think that in itself says something.