Exo vs mystery ranch?

whaack

WKR
I have both. It’s a very personal choice but I prefer my Exo. I had the K2 and now k3. I really like the simplicity and comfort of the Exo. I’m not a big “pockets all over the place” type of guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both are great packs. Personally, IF I buy again it will be Kifaru. I got my MR pack on sale and saved about $250 over an exo/kifaru and used that money savings to upgrade other gear. Packed a heavy camp (75lbs) 35 miles in my MR over some rocky, steep terrain and don't have any complaints.

BDRam16

WKR
I’m trying to make the exact same decision right now as well. Tough call when you’re spending a small fortune on a backpack.

Jo83ben

FNG
I went with MR. I got the Metcalf with a frame and then bought the bag only pintler. Now I have a good daypack and can switch to the metcalf for longer backcountry hunts. And I got both bags for almost half of what an exo costs. They’re great, comfy, and functional.
That being said if I wanted to spend more on a pack the exos are hard to beat. My Buddy has one and it’s awesome. I’m a little jealous (mostly because they come in other camo patterns) but I’m putting my hunting funds towards glass and other “needs”.

Can’t go wrong either way, just hard to justify the costs of the exo when there’s so many other good options at sig less money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of the MR military bags on a NICE frame.. Probably the Overload or 6500 depending on what your 5 days worth of stuff looks like..

Overload is smaller at around 50L but has the load shelf

KRATOCT

FNG
I’ve done a ton of research on frame packs for elk hunting recently and from what I’ve read, the general consensus between these two would be the EXO. Sounds like it’s in a whole different caliber of packs compared to the MR. Mystery ranch is great, but sounds like Kifaru, Stone Glacier and EXO are your common top dogs.
After watching many videos and reading reviews I was just convinced to order my top 3 to compare in person. All are excellent. One might just be perfect. You won’t know until you try it on.

I like the side pockets on the K3500 for spotting scope or what ever you can cram in it. Messed with the Metcalf a while before I bought the EXO. I think they’re both great packs, I just prefer the layout of the 3500.

Steelruger22

Lil-Rokslider
I settled on a mystery ranch setup for my hunting setup. This was mostly due to their awesome military discount. But there is a couple things to keep in mind. MR has recently reduced their discount for military to a lower percentage. Still good on them, but it is nowhere near what it use to be. And then the second big thing about their military discount. It doesn't apply to any of their made in USA bags. So essentially any of their military and firefighter bags don't apply to that discount. Their hunting line is fare game though, hence why I went with them for a dedicated hunting rig. I always thought it was silly that they offer a full military line of equipment, but it doesn't qualify for there discount. Sorry but I can't justify $400 on a assault pack when the Army issues me one for free.

The 4800 is plenty big for 5 days but I don’t regret buying my 6400. It packs down just as small as any of the other packs.
I wish I would have went with the 6400. The 4800 is just big enough for me on a 7-8 day trip. I mean top not rolled, just buckled. Of course, as the trip goes on and my food bag gets smaller, it gets better.

RGARNER

Lil-Rokslider
I have both, I feel like the MR will probably be more durable in the long term but i could not get it to fit comfortably when packing out meat. The Exo is lighter and so much more comfortable. Exo gets my vote.

I have both, I feel like the MR will probably be more durable in the long term but i could not get it to fit comfortably when packing out meat. The Exo is lighter and so much more comfortable. Exo gets my vote.
Which Exo did you go with? I’ve been kicking around the sawtooth/pintler. Worn the MR fire packs for years, we all wear them a lot different than MR recommends, but I’m fairly certain I’d be fine. That being said, lots of good word on the Exo is hard to ignore.

RGARNER

Lil-Rokslider
Which Exo did you go with? I’ve been kicking around the sawtooth/pintler. Worn the MR fire packs for years, we all wear them a lot different than MR recommends, but I’m fairly certain I’d be fine. That being said, lots of good word on the Exo is hard to ignore.
I got the k3 4800...if the 6400 came with the horseshoe zipper I would have went with the bigger bag, they all pack down really small when not full. I can probably squeeze 8 to 10 days out of my 4800 which is as long as I will ever go out anyways but extra space never hurts.

WKR
I've had both. MUCH prefer the MR.

I liked the flexibility of Exo but it was somewhat unpleasant under heavy load. The MR is a bit stiff for unloaded carry but is worlds better when loaded heavy. MR accessories are just better in design, fit and finish.

12kAhres

FNG
Thanks for the reply’s everyone! I went with MR due to the mad discount they gave me.
I'm dealing with the exact same EXO vs MR scenario as well.... And a mad discount could be the swing vote for me. What discount did you get?