Exo vs mystery ranch?

RADunfee

Lil-Rokslider
I guess I'm weird but I didn't like the Exo and the Metcalf is exactly what I need and fits me perfect. Helped a buddy haul out a nice black bear plus camp last year with it no problemo. If I didn't become a MR guy my next go-to would be Stone Glacier. But I love my Metcalf.

Loper

WKR
Last year I bought an EXO 4800, then a few days later I was able to get a MR Metcalf new for about $320 (sale+promo codes+Active Junky). I thought at such a deep discount on the MR I was for sure going to take advantage of EXO’s money back guarantee and send it back, which would have saved me several hundred dollars. However, when I had both of them side by side loaded up, the EXO was just so much more comfortable and I decided to keep it and sold the MR.

is it just backpacks that need to be USA made?

what about lawn furniture? outdoor couches and tables? USA made would be $20,000..i got mine from Home depot for $800 and I was okay with it. with that hard and fast rule, you cant step into a big box store..Walmart? forget it.
I don’t know if anyone said it’s a hard & fast rule. But IMO it makes sense to support companies that make things in the US when possible. Especially when the two options are pretty close in price and quality.

Edit: looks like I’m a little late to that party 😃

Last edited:

RADunfee

Lil-Rokslider
American made is a misnomer to me. Everyone buys Crispi boots made in Italy and knives made in Germany. My Metcalf was apparently made in Vietnam and it is better quality than much of my USA made stuff including Kifaru and others.

sneaky

"DADDY"
American made is a misnomer to me. Everyone buys Crispi boots made in Italy and knives made in Germany. My Metcalf was apparently made in Vietnam and it is better quality than much of my USA made stuff including Kifaru and others.
Italy and Germany aren't communist countries either. Boot manufacturing left the states a long time ago. Very few options for boots made here. Plenty of options for packs made here. I get discounts on MR as well and have never come close to buying one. Heavy, loud material, and they don't compress anything like EXO,SG, or Kifaru does. They've also dropped their discount percentage and availability in the past year. That discount percentage should be the first giveaway... they're still making money because of the money they saved by cheap labor costs.

Wingnutty

FNG
I have had both. MR pintler was good. Hauled plenty of elk with it. Exo is in another class though imo. Exo was $, but it’s $ I’m glad I spent. Not dissing MR either because it was good. But exo is much better.

I like to buy, Made In USA, also whenever possible. Within reason, price usually doesn't come into play. However, the Guide Light MT frame fits me so well, especially under weight, that nobody is even a close second. Also, as another poster pointed out, my Pop Up 28 is a genius design that works perfectly for what I need in a daypack. No matter what brand, or where it's made, nobody builds a tougher pack than MR.

Again, frame fit/comfort should be the driving factor, first and foremost. Lots of good quality packs out there.

Last edited:
I tried for years to like mystery ranch. Always found things to dislike about them. I got a metcalf with a nice frame and pintler with the guide lite. Haven’t touched either for years since I moved on

bwhit175

FNG
I've had the K3 4800 from Exo for the last year and packed out 3 animals so far. I have no aspirations to search for another pack at this point. It has pretty much met every want I could have. When it isn't loaded down it feels like it is hardly even there. Loaded down it has been plenty sturdy. Would definitely recommend it.

tony

WKR
Mystery ranch discount - is that through MR or one of the sites they list (govx, etc?)
I'm a FF/medic for reference

WMag338

WKR
I used a MR TerraFrame 80 for a few years. It has held up great and I really enjoyed the pack. I recently picked up a EXO K3 4800 when they had their blemish sale. While I've only had it a few months, I've really been liking it. I don't have the miles on it like I do the TerraFrame, but while packing 45# weights in my driveway, it seems (to me) to be more comfortable than the TerraFrame. The waist belt is wider and the shoulder straps are thicker, which lend themselves to not as much pressure on my hips and shoulders. I wouldn't hesitate using either pack, but for now I'll keep using the EXO and hopefully will be packing some animals with it soon.