Exo vs Stone Glacier vs KUIU

I’ve been looking at packs for a year now but still can’t make a decision. I’ve looked online at Kifaru, Seek Outside and now I’m looking at SG, Exo, and KUIU.

I don’t see KUIU being recommended much. The new Pro packs look nice though. However when I look at pricing, for a little bit more I can get EXO or SG. I’m looking at a day pack size that can haul a boned out whitetail. As for size, something around 1800-2500ci or so is what I want. I would like some storage features for smaller loose items as opposed to one huge bag. I’ll be carrying my layers/outer clothes, climbing sticks, platform for saddle hunting, and other small things needed for the hunt. I also need to pack to be able to stand up to going through thick brush at times, like briars

I watched the Rokslide pack shootout and it looks like EXO compared to SG is a little more quiet, not as water resistant, and lags a little in heavy load carrying ability.

thoughts?

Kotaman

WKR
To add another to your list: If it is a dedicated whitetail pack, the Sitka Tree stand packs are fantastic for functionality.

I also love some of the smaller Kifaru packs for whitetails. In fact I have an extra "Hooligan" for sale in the classifieds.

All of the big mountain pack makers make something that will work for whitetails. Pick one with the features you like and go with it. You're really splitting hairs between the biggies for tree stand use.

FlyingDutchman

Lil-Rokslider
Hmmm...Have you looked at the Mystery Ranch Pop-up series? Those seem like they'd fit your description and can probably easily haul out a whitetail.

I have an SG frame and absolutely love it, but I'm not sure what bag would have the features you're looking for. Probably the avail 2200 with an Xcurve frame would do what you needed. You could put your saddle platform in the outside beavertail pocket.
I personally use a Sitka pack for my whitetail saddle hunting set-up, but I don't need to pack out an animal.

OP
C
Hmmm...Have you looked at the Mystery Ranch Pop-up series? Those seem like they'd fit your description and can probably easily haul out a whitetail.

I have an SG frame and absolutely love it, but I'm not sure what bag would have the features you're looking for. Probably the avail 2200 with an Xcurve frame would do what you needed. You could put your saddle platform in the outside beavertail pocket.
I personally use a Sitka pack for my whitetail saddle hunting set-up, but I don't need to pack out an animal.

I have...and I can get a pretty good deal on one but seems like most people say it’s a big step up going from MR to a higher end frame and pack. I’m sure they would all work fine and honestly I’ll only be packing out maybe 2-3 deer a year.
The avail 2200 is exactly what I was looking at. It or the Exo 1800

OP
C
Kuiu packs are nice. I have a shelf full of others and you won't be slumming if you go this route.

That’s good to know! It’s a little cheaper too but I could step up for just a little more. I like the looks of their packs though

hikenhunt

WKR
If you can be patient a little longer, KUIU runs sales or if you sign up for their email you will get a discount coupon on your birthday. EXO doesn't do sales. Not sure about SG.

With kuius new Propacks Im not sure SG and exo are really as much of a step up as it used to be..because your not planning multi day hunts and hauling 80+lbs for days I'm sure you'll be extremely pleased with the kuiu for the money saved.

OP
C
If you can be patient a little longer, KUIU runs sales or if you sign up for their email you will get a discount coupon on your birthday. EXO doesn't do sales. Not sure about SG.
Well my birthday has already passed and I really need it in the next 4 weeks. I can get 15% off of SG

AK Shane

Lil-Rokslider
Exo usually runs one sale a year. I think it's in November.

Not a fan of Kuiu packs. I know of too many that have broken or had issues. Wouldn't consider Kuiu sturdy enough for busting through the brush.

Cg_7

FNG
Id go kuiu, I know about 10 guys who all have kuiu packs and they take them on 14+ Day fly in trips and they all range from having had the pack for 5-10 years and none of them have had an issue. That’s going be my next purchase!

Me, my son and son in law all Kuiu, no problems and my son has worked that pack with numerous back country trips and meat hauls. Ive done the same but not like him.

Tahoe1305

WKR
Love my kuiu pack. Got the new 4000ProLT to add to a pro 1850 and ultra 7000. No issues and very comfortable for me anyways.

To preface this I have a SG X-Curve 3600, my dad has an Exo K2 3500, and our elk hunting partner this year got a Kuiu Pro 6000. My Dad and I had the previous generation of Kuiu Ultra 1850's and were not happy after a couple years. I can say that the new Pro packs look to have addressed any complaints we had of our older bags. My advice is if you're a whitetail hunter and like little built in pockets for everything, Kuiu Pro is probably the bag for you. SG and Exo are more minimalist by design in that area ( yes you can add pouches to them that cost extra). I think all three will haul deer just fine. My Dad, me, and our hunting partner would most likely end up with the same brand bags in smaller sizes if we were in your position. Only other thing I'll throw out there is that SG and Exo are American made

BluMtn

WKR
KUIU. I have the 2300 and see no reason to replace it. I have the new pro belt with the apex shoulder straps and feel I have found the sweet spot.