Exo with just lid and crib panel

TheTone

WKR
I already have the k3 accessory straps with the metal g hooks, between those and a bunch of mystery ranch straps I’m confident I can use just the lid and crib together if I want to

OP
J

just.mark

FNG
If it fits what you need in the lid, it will be a good setup for light and fast

I would drop the lid down on the frame, I hate lids chasing roosies because the taller profile is constantly hung up in the brush… I use my 3500 without a lid in September on the coast, or more often, wear my kifaru frame with the Stryker xl.

If the lid doesn’t fit what you need (it wouldn’t for me) they do make a good day hunting bag… if just the lid works for you, it will be a great setup for you.

I’m looking forward to their next iteration of EXO packs, I will be ordering one as soon as released, the k3 is the only one I haven’t owned, I put a k3 belt on my k2 and couldn’t justify the full upgrade, but will justify the k4 or whatever they call the next version.

I really appreciate that EXO isn’t trying to expand into a huge company, they seem content doing what they’re doing, which is very good for us, I have liked all of their packs to this point and they are as good as it gets for customer service, and staying small, they are also very consistent in customer service.
I got it all put together and I'm pretty happy how small and compact it is the lid is completely below the top of the frame. It is a little wonky with the straps but we will see how that plays in the field.

Attachments

• 20220721_104311.jpg
    20220721_104311.jpg
    334 KB · Views: 86
  • 20220721_104329.jpg
    20220721_104329.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 86
  • 20220721_104337.jpg
    20220721_104337.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 89

OOSWLC

FNG
i'm updating to show the molle day pack i got to attach to my crib panel (this thing)... i have yet to fill my bladder up to truly test the load capacity... but i added a photo with a sitka heavyweight hoodie in each of the two pockets for a size reference...

so far i am STOKED on this. especially for less than $30.

i ordered a couple molle attachment points so that i can run my lid with the 1800 straps, and attach it to the day bag. i also ordered a pair of 40" looped cinch straps so that i can attach rain gear/etc through the molle straps on either the bag, or at the bottom of the panel...

i'll be doing some training hikes with this next week, so i'll post some pictures more with it loaded up!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-30 at 10.59.39 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-30 at 10.59.39 AM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 67
  • Screen Shot 2022-07-30 at 11.00.01 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-30 at 11.00.01 AM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 68
  • Screen Shot 2022-07-30 at 11.00.21 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-30 at 11.00.21 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 64
  • Screen Shot 2022-07-30 at 11.00.52 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-30 at 11.00.52 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 63
  • Screen Shot 2022-07-30 at 11.01.56 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-30 at 11.01.56 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 64

Gapmaster

WKR
Excellent idea! I have been trying to figure out a solution for my K3 as I’ll not be going in very deep this year. Just want a light, slim day pack. I’ve got everything I need after reading through everyone’s post. I was just a little slow in realizing it!! Lol Thanks for the pics and ideas.

TheTone

WKR
i'm updating to show the molle day pack i got to attach to my crib panel (this thing)... i have yet to fill my bladder up to truly test the load capacity... but i added a photo with a sitka heavyweight hoodie in each of the two pockets for a size reference...

so far i am STOKED on this. especially for less than $30.

i ordered a couple molle attachment points so that i can run my lid with the 1800 straps, and attach it to the day bag. i also ordered a pair of 40" looped cinch straps so that i can attach rain gear/etc through the molle straps on either the bag, or at the bottom of the panel...

i'll be doing some training hikes with this next week, so i'll post some pictures more with it loaded up!
Looks like a great cheep option! Did you just attach the bag to the crib? It’s kinda hard for me to see the attachment

OOSWLC

FNG
Looks like a great cheep option! Did you just attach the bag to the crib? It’s kinda hard for me to see the attachment
I've done a few training hikes with this set up now and have changed it slightly...

The straps on the bag don't line up perfectly with the exo panel, so there was some weird bunching. I fixed it with some plastic molle attachments from amazon that are used to buckle two molle things together. That made the bag and the panel sit together flush/perfectly.

Also,there are tiny tabs on each side of the zippered front pocket of the bag - This is the PERFECT size and placement for the exo 1800 lid straps.

Gapmaster

WKR
I've done a few training hikes with this set up now and have changed it slightly...

The straps on the bag don't line up perfectly with the exo panel, so there was some weird bunching. I fixed it with some plastic molle attachments from amazon that are used to buckle two molle things together. That made the bag and the panel sit together flush/perfectly.

Also,there are tiny tabs on each side of the zippered front pocket of the bag - This is the PERFECT size and placement for the exo 1800 lid straps.
So, honest opinion…( I get the enjoyment of diy custom work. I’m the same way) is it worth the $30 savings over just buying the slurpy stalker and using the lid? How much total do you have in it after the Molle clips, etc? I like your build, but I can’t see where there’s much to gain.
I’ve done something similar to yours, but with an Eberlestock pouch. The stalker is made to fit directly to the crib so it would be easier to change out. Just asking because I’m leaning toward the stalker vs what I’ve done.

OOSWLC

FNG
So, honest opinion…( I get the enjoyment of diy custom work. I’m the same way) is it worth the $30 savings over just buying the slurpy stalker and using the lid? How much total do you have in it after the Molle clips, etc? I like your build, but I can’t see where there’s much to gain.
I’ve done something similar to yours, but with an Eberlestock pouch. The stalker is made to fit directly to the crib so it would be easier to change out. Just asking because I’m leaning toward the stalker vs what I’ve done.

i wanted something bigger than the stalker, but not as big as an 1800 bag. this bag fits the bill perfectly. based only on internet research, i'd guess i have 2-3x the storage capacity of the stalker.

it's the perfect size for everything needed for an entire day long hunt... and having the molle panel at the top is also nice- i can easily attach a couple dump pouches, or use some cinch straps to hold rain gear/something bulky to the outside... and i still get the panel/load shelf.

saving the money was nice, especially since i think i would have been disappointed in the stalker (based only on my intended use). all of that said, though- if exo comes out with some kind of 4-800 capacity bag, i'll be first in line.

Last edited:

OOSWLC

FNG
Sorry, I didn't answer everything...

The attachment points came in a big lot for $8- So it probably added ~$1-2 to the cost of the set up...
It did make a huge difference, though, because the bag is considerably more still and stable.

Also, as far changing it out- The clips have a quick release tab. It's almost instantaneous.

TheTone

WKR
i wanted something bigger than the stalker, but not as big as an 1800 bag. this bag fits the bill perfectly. based only on internet research, i'd guess i have 2-3x the storage capacity of the stalker.

it's the perfect size for everything needed for an entire day long hunt... and having the molle panel at the top is also nice- i can easily attach a couple dump pouches, or use some cinch straps to hold rain gear/something bulky to the outside... and i still get the panel/load shelf.

saving the money was nice, especially since i think i would have been disappointed in the stalker (based only on my intended use). all of that said, though- if exo comes out with some kind of 4-800 capacity bag, i'll be first in line.
Just an assumption but looks like that bag would hold a 32oz Nalgene bottle? I’d be looking at using it for attaching to the crib for just meat hauls so needs to hold water and not much else and it would be great for me

OOSWLC

FNG
Just an assumption but looks like that bag would hold a 32oz Nalgene bottle? I’d be looking at using it for attaching to the crib for just meat hauls so needs to hold water and not much else and it would be great for me
Honestly I don't know that a Nalgene bottle would fit in either of the zipper pockets just because they don't open wide enough... I'd bet you'd be better off attaching something to the belt strap

TheTone

WKR
I was digging through my gear closet last night and found an old camelback pack I forgot I have. It’s small, basically room for a bladder, lightweight shirt, etc. I don’t think it will mount to the crib as cleanly but I can definitely make it work. I plan to keep it in my truck for meat hauls with the crib

Glory

Lil-Rokslider
Tag.

Thinking about same, but maybe lashing a drybag to the frame instead of the lid? Any thoughts on that?

OOSWLC

FNG
Tag.

Thinking about same, but maybe lashing a drybag to the frame instead of the lid? Any thoughts on that?
i'd think you'd loose some convenience because you'd basically have to unstrap it to access it? that would definitely work, but i could see it getting old to use...
if you have the crib panel, i think it's really worth getting something that can attach through the molle points that are already there. the small bag i got to use as a day bag doesn't quite line up perfectly... but i got some of these things, and now it sits very flush!
the main advantage i see over a dry bag is that i have a bladder pocket and 2 separate zipper access pockets.