Exotic Ram hunts

midwestkilla

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys, just looking to get into the world of exotic hunting and am curious on hunting the sheep species that are typically found in low fence ranches. Has anyone done this, what kind of rams, best challenge, etc? I am looking for any information on this topic, anything helps, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jhm2023

WKR
I bought myself a new Mathews bow during a deployment to Afghanistan many years ago. When I got back stateside all the hunting seasons were closed and I was determined to kill something with it since I hadn't hunted in a couple of seasons due to Army stuff and deployment and was going through hunting withdrawals. So I paid for one of these exotic ram hunts at a low fence place where they provided lodging and food. It was a decent place and the people were friendly. Needless to say I shot one of these things before his wife had the biscuits out of the oven and it left a lot to be desired. I wouldn't do it again. Now I enjoy chasing Dall sheep in Alaska with an over the counter tag every year and couldn't imagine not chasing wild sheep in their natural habitat.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Northpark

WKR
If you hunt out in the western hill country you can find big low fence places with all kinds of stuff. Most common species are Aoudad, Mouflan, and Catalina goats. I’ve done all three. Aoudad was the best since it was in some crazy rough country. Catalina goats are actually pretty fun with a bow, they aren’t super spooky.

OP
midwestkilla

midwestkilla

Lil-Rokslider
If you hunt out in the western hill country you can find big low fence places with all kinds of stuff. Most common species are Aoudad, Mouflan, and Catalina goats. I’ve done all three. Aoudad was the best since it was in some crazy rough country. Catalina goats are actually pretty fun with a bow, they aren’t super spooky.

I am leaning on doing it with my bow so goats seem like a cheap option to start with. I am also planning on doing something with low fence during the summer due to no seasons

Eyeman

FNG
Some of them aren't much 'hunting' but in can be a fun little thing to do.
A friend of mine sponsored one for a group and some of them were new to Hunting so it helped them a little. It was a weekend thing in southern Cali. I went along and it was a fun little weekend.

Wherever you decide on, make sure you ask the guy in charge which one tastes the best.

WCB

WKR
I'd go for Aoudad...It would be an actual hunt. Find a place down along the boarder and make it a mountain hunt .

OP
midwestkilla

midwestkilla

Lil-Rokslider
Some of them aren't much 'hunting' but in can be a fun little thing to do.
A friend of mine sponsored one for a group and some of them were new to Hunting so it helped them a little. It was a weekend thing in southern Cali. I went along and it was a fun little weekend.

Wherever you decide on, make sure you ask the guy in charge which one tastes the best.

Yeah, shooting something that is nearly inedible is not worth the money in my book

Jimss

WKR
Aoudad has my vote. I rank aoudad just as tough or tougher to spot and stalk hunt in low fence than dall or bighorn sheep in an open country setting.

Aoudad has over the counter in New Mexico . Tough hunt for sure but you will see some great country . Might be tough with a bow but I have seen guys on YouTube get it done with one . I personally got mine with a rifle.

WCB

WKR
Aoudad has my vote. I rank aoudad just as tough or tougher to spot and stalk hunt in low fence than dall or bighorn sheep in an open country setting.
Been Aoudad hunting in west Texas in the Chinati Mts. My dad who has 6 Sheep (Stones, Bighorn, Dalls) and a couple goats said the Aoudad hunting was every bit as difficult as those other hunts. The more difficult part about the other ones was just getting to sheep country and of course living out of a backpack. But after actually spotting the animal and going after it in the end it is a sheep hunt.

I also did a by foot Tahr hunt in NZ in some steep shale crap and the two hunts were very comparable...different but comparable.

WA209

FNG
One of those four horned goats would make for a wicked looking euro mount in the man cave!

Hey guys, just looking to get into the world of exotic hunting and am curious on hunting the sheep species that are typically found in low fence ranches. Has anyone done this, what kind of rams, best challenge, etc? I am looking for any information on this topic, anything helps, thanks!

I'm looking at doing the same thing with my new rig. I'm not big on "canned hunts" but they can be a challenge for spot and stalk and bow hunters. Did you end up going on one?

FLATHEAD

WKR
I've done a couple Aoudad hunts, and they are super cool. A real hunt.
Would love to do a Mouflon hunt somewhere, but not shooting someone's
livestock.

wyosteve

WKR
My aoudad hunt in '21 was my 6th sheep hunt and will be going back in Jan. '23. Aoudad in West Texas is no gimme! Insanely rugged and isolated country and Texas Game and Fish is trying to thin the numbers of aoudad since they can compete with bighorns.