Expandable and Fixed Broadhead performance from a guides perspective

MattB

WKR
What's your theory?
That many guys use MBH's so they do not have to tune and still get the accuracy they desire. With that comes poir arrow flight which translates to poor penetration. I refer to these as failures that occurred before the hunter even took the shot.

Marble

WKR
I think that its not really an honest comparison to put white tail stats next to elk stats. The body structure is larger, more muscle and heavier boned on an elk. A deer rib is just a tiny fragile bone compared to an elk rib.

The skin is thicker, the hair is thicker and the body is is thicker. Not apples to apples.

I will be very happy to use a mechanical on deer. I would not choose a MBH on an elk given the choice.

The idea of carrying both in the quiver? I like it. Might be useful.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I’m 72/28 with 447 grain arrow doing around 283. Fixed blades have never let me down when I do my part.

That said, I carry a 1 1/4” grim reaper fatal steel in my quiver. One day I’ll see how it does on elk. I had a couple bad experiences with rage and can’t make myself commit to mechanicals yet though for elk.

To the OP, thanks for the info. I am curious about their arrow weight and speed though.

Arm chair QB here but if I was an outfitter I would never allow expandales to be used on elk.

Shot placement is another story, I’m sure guys piss their pants when you have an 800/lb bull elk screaming and pissin 20 yards from you. Things could get a little blurry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4fletch

Lil-Rokslider
If it can fail at some point it will. I no longer use mechanicals.