Expandable broadheads recommendation

ewade07

WKR
What are done good expandables for use on elk/deer/antelope? Looking for suggestions. Thanks.

Last edited:
To be honest I never used expendables, but if Iwas to use one, I'd consider the Sevr 1.5

I'm sure others that have used various expendables, might have a better opinion as compared to the Sevr 1.5?

Bump79

WKR
I like Sevr or Thorn Glue In. The Torn Glue in really takes it to another level of mechanical with no blades exposed, rear deploy, ability to add screw in weights on the back to get desired weight. Sevr is more durable.

kjw

WKR
I’m a fan of dead meats. Always been a fixed guy for elk but had some serious issues go on with my bow and limited resources I could only get mechanicals to fly while in camp. My hand was somewhat forced to switch in order to stay on the hunt. Killed a bull the next day with a pass through at 46 and when he stood back up at 85 the second sunk to the fletch and put him back down. Still a fixed guy but that what I would having to make the choice again

Trial153

WKR
SevR 1.5 I think is the best mechanical head that you can buy right now.

wapitibob

WKR
I’ve killed a handful of bulls with the spitfire 125. Not a fan of 2 blade heads so I haven’t used the sevr but it gets good reviews.

Ebby

WKR
I've used the Sevr 2.0 on deer and elk and I've been very pleased. Hard to go wrong.

I've had excellent results with the original 3-blade NAP 1.5" Spitfire over the past 5 seasons.

I won't say the same about the 2-blade 1.5" Ulmer Edge that was the predecessor of the Sever. Poor perfomance and blood trails with it, although the flight was excellent. Used them for two seasons.

Last edited:

Evol

Lil-Rokslider
Bought 1 doz. sevr 2.0s and will probably just use those this season along with iron wills if I feel the need for a fixed.

From my experience with the Sevr 2.0 and 2.1 on deer, I won't personally use them on Elk. No more cutting area of the 1.5 I'd just shoot a fixed.

The Thorn broadhead has half a blunt on the front, there's no way I'd use them on big game.

I am a fan of the Spitfire, it has just worked really well for me, could be something better, but I haven't used it, and I shoot a lot of different heads. Wouldn't have an issue with a Grim Reaper mech, except their largest cut versions for Elk.

Make sure you aren't using a mech to fix tuning issues, cause you aren't.

I really like the redesigned Sevr 2.0 and wouldn't hesitate to use them on anything up to and including mule deer (30'' draw @ 65lbs).

The 1.5 for me personally is a solution looking for a problem. You don't get that much more cutting diameter versus a fixed head (but you get the possibility of blades not deploying) , so I would just go with a QAD Exodus (which fly amazing out of my bow).

Full disclosure... I really like the QAD Exodus and will be shooting them this year for my mule deer and bear hunts. I went with the fixed head because if by some act of God I fill both those tags before the last week of September, I'm going to try to find an elk as well.

rclouse79

WKR
After reading and listening to anything I could find on a sevr head I decided to sell my other two models of fixed blades to buy more sevrs. I have 11 of the 1.5s and picked up three of the 2.0 which I would use for deer or antelope. I don’t foresee being unhappy with them, but if I ever went back to a fixed I would probably try a quad exodus.