Expandables

ckleeves

WKR
As long as I can remember they have been legal. I shot fixed blades when I started but I think mechanicals were legal 10+ years ago.

Yea they have been legal for quite sometime. With that said I have never used an expandable. Always a fixed blade

Segan

FNG
What has been everyone's experience with expandables? 2011 i made the switch and 4 arrows in animals and no full penetrations. Before that I had shot fixed blades and had 4 full pass throughs. I know all archery shots are different and scenarios differ. But 8 total arrows 4 fixed all pass through, 4 xpandables and no pass throughs on deer and elk

They work great, but anything will when you put the arrow where it belongs... I used them exclusivley for whitetails when I lived in KS and hunted back east. They did just fine and I never lost a deer with them. Moving to Idaho, they are not allowed, so the year before I left KS I started using fixed blades so that I was confident with them... I will use expandables where they are allowed, but have no problem killing things with fixed blades :)]

You can use them on Turkeys in Idaho and I did just that this past spring, no issues... Some love them, some hate them... To each their own.. They work when the archer does his job...

ckleeves

WKR
What has been everyone's experience with expandables? 2011 i made the switch and 4 arrows in animals and no full penetrations. Before that I had shot fixed blades and had 4 full pass throughs. I know all archery shots are different and scenarios differ. But 8 total arrows 4 fixed all pass through, 4 xpandables and no pass throughs on deer and elk

What's your bow setup weight, draw length, arrow weight etc. ke and mo if you know them? I love mechanicals and have taking tons of critters with them but there is no doubt IMO that it takes some pretty good horsepower to push some of the big mechanicals through an elk.

If you have the setup to do it a big mechanical is absolutely devastating but I agree with everybody that shot placement is most important.

Hardstalk

WKR
Expandables can be devastating.

Fixed heads on the other hand.
A. Never open during flight
B. never break their rubber band
C. Do the same damage consistently
D. Have no moving parts to loosen or tweak.

With all the variables In the game of bowhunting i sware by fixed heads. I have tried interchangeable blade fixed heads and always go running back to the one piece, sharp and true solid fixed. I have also played with the mechanical. And have seen them open during flight. Never did find the arrow. It floated off like a plane into the horizon.

wapitibob

WKR
Pick the right expandable and you'll be fine. Understand however, blade retention isn't as tough as a well made fixed. But, over the years there have also been some fixed heads that were pretty much junk. I don't pick a head because it makes it thru a sheet of plywood or a bucket filled with gravel. With my setup, going into the rib of the scapula or lower leg bone isn't going to end well regardless of head. Conversely, ribs aren't a problem.
My experience over the last few decades has been that the NAP Spitfire has demonstrated a propensity to leave substantially more blood on the ground and faster kills than any other head. I use it where legal. Again, blade retention is not as tough as my Thunderheads but in my experience, it doesn't need to be.
I compare the two broadhead types to bullets. Some are made for bone, some for thru the ribs. The ammo dictates shot placement.

OP
Brandon Pattison
Off topic here but a blade that stays midship while the animal runs all the while the arrow bouncing off trees, brush and bone/muscle movement really churns up the inside.

keep

Lil-Rokslider
Off topic here but a blade that stays midship while the animal runs all the while the arrow bouncing off trees, brush and bone/muscle movement really churns up the inside.
And clogs the single hole and also doesn't leave an exit hole for blood to come out of. If you've hit the good stuff 2 holes are always better

I switch back and forth depending on what I am hunting. Turkeys...for body shots ALWAYS get a Trophy Ridge Rocket HAMMERHEAD (3 blade 2" cut) while CO mule deer/elk ALWAYS get a fixed blade RAMCAT. Typically my KS doe tags are my broadhead testor tags. Those are the tags I have to fill the freezer and use different heads. As part of my job at the local shop I feel that these testor tags are my time to get personal experiences with different heads on the market so that I can better inform my customers.

Personally, not a big fan of 2 blade expandable heads. Whatever I shoot I prefer 3 blade.