Expanding your sleeping bag's range : bag liner or over bag which is better ?

I have been working on developing my sleep system. I am looking at upgrading one of my sleeping bags. So my question is ,I see lots of comments on threads here about thermal liners to up a bags temp rating but have not seen many guys mention an over bag. Why is this ? I own a couple of the MSS sleep systems and the green patrol bag makes an excellent over bagfor my down bags. Is there a reason that this is the second option ?

One think to consider is any weight on your bag will compress the insulation making it less effective. I am sure there is a point where the added insulation of the top layer adds more than the loss from compressing the bottom layer.

Adding too much to the inside of a bag with no extra room can also compress the insulation if the bag becomes to tight.

OP
G
So Muley fever what you are saying is the key is not to compress the loft in my bag with to much inside it or outside it. Makes sense. Somewhere I read or heard that a synthetic over bag works well with a down bag by moving the dew point out further and thus pulling more moisture out of the down... Not sure if this is true or just someone's opinion.

TX1

FNG
I am by no means an expert all i can provide is this years experience. I used a WM badger in CO at 10500 ft, this was my first time using down i normally use a kifaru slickbag -20deg. Temps were in the 20's my grandson in the WM bristlecone was warm i was slightly chilled however i had brought my poncho liner/woobie and layered it over the badger and immediately felt the difference/warmth. during the night if it slipped off i could tell and would wake up. scientific no, warmer yes. YMMV

Maverick1

WKR
In warmer weather I use a silk liner. It doesn't really add much for warmth, but help keep the main sleeping bag free from stink, blood, dirt, etc. I wouldn't go the silk liner route for added warmth.

Mt EE -10* Conundrum quilt can be vented and meets all my needs regardless what the temps (below 50*) are.

bsnedeker

WKR
I've got a 32 degree bag and a 15 degree quilt. Bag is for warm nights 40+, quilt is 20-40, bag+quilt takes me down to single digits easily. I use synthetic for everything, not usually hunting with camp on my back.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Jimss

WKR
Many of us are trying to figure out ways to loose weight and bulk in our packs. It’s pretty easy to sleep warmer by just adding a layer of clothing that you already have in your pack.

If it gets super cold you can even wear a coat or open up your coat inside the bag over your coldest body parts. Layering up in bed including a beany on your head, neck gator, and insulated vest will warm you plus your core without adding a bunch of bulk in the sac.

Another suggestion is to use a slightly warmer quality bag such as WM that may be lighter weight than colder and heavier cheap bags.

Jimss

WKR
I forgot to mention that if you have a colder rated bag you can always open it up until you are cold. If you have too light of a bag you could be stuck being cold.

OP
G
I am just trying to look at all the different ways to get to the end goal. most likely will be buying a new higher quality bag in a -12 C or 15 degree F range .My older bag is from MEC and has lasted about 30 years, not bad for a Chinese made 600 fill duck down bag. It is about 3.5 pounds, so will not be hard to replace with something less bulky and lighter but as warm. At this point I am leaning towards a Taiga bag made in Vancouver. Thanks for helping me see some different options as well as confirming other things.

TX1

FNG
True, this year however i was not the mule and not worried about the weight we did a drop camp and were packed in by an outfitter

OP
G
Jimss ,I have been there and done that. (lighter bag and stuck being cold.) I do own a higher quality goose down bag rated for -20C (legit rating). It comes in right at about 3 pounds. Bought this bag after a near survival situation with my other bag. I am looking for a do all bag that has less weight and bulk but will cover 90 % of my needs. My need is a back country bag for Sheep hunting Alberta in September. -12C (legit ) should do it. My over bag /liner question is just the insurance policy. Wearing other clothes/puffy to bed makes the most sense to me because it does not add weight to my pack.

*zap*

WKR
wiggys makes good synthetic bags with the option of a made for use overbag. If your talking down you really need two different bags to cover the temp range if your camping out thru 4 seasons.

OP
G
Zap ,I am working on two different bag setup. I have the one good bag,-20C (0 degree F roughly). it is my earlier season bag that needs upgraded. Thanks for the Wiggy's info.

A.hol1

Lil-Rokslider
I have a bag liner I take with me no matter the weather. Some nights I sleep on top of my bag with just liner if warmer than usual.
Other nights I kick the liner and just bag, or use both. It’s nice to have options as the weather is unpredictable mid September where I hunt

Bag liner I use is a sea to summit , not sure on the model, mid weight 15 degrees or so

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ljalberta

WKR
I’ve used both. I’ve found that generally overbags/additional layers on top add more warmth than the liners. As noted by others though, loft is essential, so crushing loft by either method is no good.

For hunting in Alberta, I have a 20* EE quilt that I like in the summer and for very mild weather. For sheep hunting, I’m currently using a WM Alpinlite. This keeps me warm in my base layers below zero. I wear my puffy and additional layers on the colder early season nights.

As the weather turns and the season goes on, I then use my Alpinlite and either layer the quilt or a Woobie overtop. I do all my backpack hunting up until November, so this tends to work for me. A proper late season bag would be nice though at times.

In November I’m rarely in a tent.

TheHammer

WKR
Some good info. Early season I run just a liner and a light weight quilt, later seasons I run a 2.7lb 20* bag and plan on running the liner this year to keep the bag clean and add a few degrees to the comfort level if needed. Years past I’d just toss my jacket over my legs and vest over my upper body on top of the sleeping bag, recently upgraded my pad, which was a huge improvement to warmth, vs just surviving with spotty sleep.

rayporter

WKR
add some Velcro to your bag and a woobie or the jungle blanket will stay in place and add a lot of heat to your bag.

alternatively, you could buy a piece of insulation at a fabric store and add a 3 ft by 6 ft piece to the top of your bag with velcro to do the same for a lot less$$.

Reactions: TX1