Expansion Testing

OXN939

WKR
I've switched to shooting copper over the past few years for a bunch of reasons. As everyone knows, copper performs differently in the world of terminal ballistics than do lead cup-and-cores. So, with an upcoming Texas Nilgai hunt on the horizon, I decided to do some of my own ballistic testing to make sure things downrange were actually going the way I wanted. Basically, I lined up a bunch of water jugs and hit them from 100 yards with a few different calibers. I mentioned to a few other forum members that I'd share, so here are the results.

First up was a Hornady GMX 165 grain from a 20" Howa 1500 in .308 Win. Impact velocity around 2350.

20200215_122530.jpg

Hornady GMX 80 grain out of a 20" Howa Alpine in .243 Winchester, impact velocity ~2900:

20200312_165539.jpg

And, Barnes TSX 168 grain out of a 24" Winchester Model 70 in .30-06:

20200313_085422.jpg

All three of the rounds tested retained over 95% of their weight. The TSX did lose one petal, but it was in the bottom of the 5th gallon jug, the far side of which stopped the projectile. It also showed the most aggressive expansion, and I recovered one more TSX from the backstop I was shooting against that looked virtually identical. The GMXs both produced mushrooms that looked like something out of a magazine. I don't know that there's much value to including pictures of the jugs themselves, but all of them were completely vaporized.

This test was a big confidence builder. In addition to being extremely accurate and consistent, all three of the rounds tested delivered excellent expansion, penetration and transfer of energy. I'll try to find time in the future to test a few more loads.

20200312_165508.jpg

TauPhi111

WKR
Nice test. I shoot copper exclusively for game so I always like seeing these tests. If you do it again, try reaching out to longer range, like 400-500 yards. I think a lot of people will be interested in seeing that.

Macegl

Lil-Rokslider
I shot a bull elk a few years ago with a 130 gr gmx out of a 270 win at 390 yds. Recovered it just under the offside hide, expansion looked almost identical to your first picture. I was very pleased!

OP
OXN939

OXN939

WKR
Nice test. I shoot copper exclusively for game so I always like seeing these tests. If you do it again, try reaching out to longer range, like 400-500 yards. I think a lot of people will be interested in seeing that.

That's one of the first on the list. I also want to try the TTSX in a higher velocity caliber like .243. Waiting for my Barnes and/ or Hornady sponsorship to come through, hah.

Dead Nilgai.

Pick your poison for sure!

Fingers crossing I'll have a real world op test here in a few.