Expectation for Archery Elk Hunt - Blue Chip Unit

Two new elk hunters heading to a blue-chip elk unit in WY during the rut for 8 days.

Is it unreasonable to expect that both of us will kill bulls on our first hunt out west in 8 days? New elk hunters but a high quality unit (Unit 24).

ganngus

Lil-Rokslider
I wish you all of the best. Elk are a cunning adversary that has outwitted many of top quality hunters. I would never go into an archery hunt with more than one person and expect to bat .1000. My advice would be to not set expectations, take everything in stride, and enjoy the hunt. Thereafter, if you do go 2 for 2, you can tell me how wrong I was and it was the easiest hunt of your life...

Last edited:

ELKhunter60

Lil-Rokslider
Overall success rate for that unit (including rifle hunters) has been 50-60%. You say your both new elk hunters using archery equipment. Why would you both expect to kill bulls in 8 days? I'm not saying it can't be done, but I would expect to have fun, see some beautiful county and have a few good elk stories to tell after 8 days. Anything more than that is a bonus. As ganngus said above, these animals are tuff to hunt and tuff to kill. Good luck! You should have a blast!

WCB

WKR
No reason you can't if you are not picky. But very good chance you don't even get 1 shot or within bow range. Weeks or even days you can almost do no wrong and elk come barreling in. Others they seem to be non-existent. Go for one first then worry about the second one.

CougarBlue

Lil-Rokslider
I'd echo what's been said here as well as add that it depends on what your goals are in terms of size. If you're happy to shoot an OK bull but aren't chasing monsters, you may have a better time. If you're both expecting giants, your expectations may be a bit high for 8 days.

I've gone 3 for 3 a few years back with close friends. It was over 7 days but we weren't being picky. I took a young 6x6 (280) and the others had good 5x5s (in the 250 range). But it was NOT easy. We averaged 12 miles a day and put in a crazy number of scouting trips seeing much bigger bulls before realizing that if we wanted to tag out, we weren't going to be aiming for trophies.

wytx

WKR
First off read this and other links on the page ab out hunting the area : https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Hunting/Hunt-Planner/Elk-Hunting/Elk-Area-24

In better areas I would expect less pressure from other hunters and elk to be more call friendly so to speak.
Set your expectations before you get there and be willing to change plans.
I would take any shot opportunity on an elk, don't pass a good chance just because the bull isn't big.
8 days can be plenty of time or it will just fly by.
Wind will mess you up lots of times on setups, just accept it. Don't over call but use them when needed.
We are having a good drought right now, if monsoons don't pick up look for water and hunt near it.

Bailer

Lil-Rokslider
Don’t forget to factor in the time dealing with the first downed bull. Depending on the circumstances it might be 2 days out of your 8 packing that one out.

You have no elk hunting experience. No calling or setup experience. You don’t know your area. Not accustomed to mountain hunting. All new untested gear. Put it this way... if you kill one bull it will be because of luck. But luck happens. You will not kill two. You gotta go make mistakes and learn from them.

Last edited:

njdoxie

WKR
You have no elk hunting experience. No calling or setup experience. You don’t know your area. Not accustomed to mountain hunting. All new untested gear. Put it this way... if you kill one bull it will be because of luck. But luck happens. You will not kill two. You gotta go make mistakes and learn from them.
Truth, well put.

nphunter

WKR
Good luck, hunt from before daylight with a bugle tube and then hunt 100% of the day until dark every single day. That will up your odds a lot, a lot of people only hunt a few hours each day and they spend a lot of time napping or going back to camp mid day. Stay on the mountain and after elk, if your not getting into elk or seeing fresh, stinky sign then move to another area where you are seeing, hearing or smelling elk.

If your seeing sign and not hearing elk then do some cold calling. Be super patient, don't move at all and call periodically from one location for about an hour or so before moving. A lot of people move and are gone before the actual elk show up when cold calling. It sucks and is not a fun way to hunt elk but it is very effective when hunting is slow but elk are in the area. Also water holes are great spots to cold call, especilly ponds, jump around, pick up some big sticks and splash the water while your buddy stands next to you cow and calf calling, do this for a few minutes and then sit, watch and listen, splash the water with a small rock periodically. We've pulled a lot of bulls into water doing this over the years, some come running right in to the water, others sneak to an area they can see it from and then leave.

Good luck, not impossible but the odds are definitely stacked against you. Would love to see you come back and post a picture of a couple dead bulls on this thread.

Jon Boy

WKR
Meh, the hardest thing about elk hunting is finding them. And with the ridiculous amount of information on elk hunting out there that can really flatten the curve on your skill level. That's what makes great units great, large abundances of elk that are relatively easy to find.
Im probably wrong but I'll go against the grain and say you two rooks will have two good opportunities over the course of your 8 days if you hunt hard. Now whether or not you make the right call and execute your shots is up to you.
Read and listen to as much material as you can before your hunt and show up in good shape. Call the biologist, game warden, forest service or BLM and anyone else that could be of good use. They'll likely all tell you the same general popular spots elk hang out. No sense in you guys trying to find off the wall spots that are secret hidey holes. Hunt the obvious spots so you're into elk right away. Keep the wind right, come up with sounds game plans and execute. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

If you absolutely have to be home on a certain day be careful where you try to kill a bull on the last 2 days of your hunt. Think about the scenario that will take place if you get a bull down on the last afternoon of your hunt requiring 2 trips to get it out. You don’t want to be 5 miles deep.

HOT ROD

WKR
In that area U should both get at least one shot at a elk... Get in shape shoot Ur bow and learn to call a little bit and play the wind...