Expectations on rain gear

Morning. When it comes to rain gear while hunting/backpacking, are my expectations too high to think I will stay completely dry using any of the rain gear on the market today? Thanks

Bärenjäger

Lil-Rokslider
Depends on activity. I used the Goretex rain gear in my army days and now Kuiu Chugach while hunting. Both kept me dry from the rain and breathe well to let out the sweat. But if you're really on the move, nothing is going to breathe out all the perspiration. Especially on a hot day.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

I only use it if I am going to be fairly stationary, of course in a down pour I am going to hunker down, if I am going to stay on the move I am not going to put it on because I am going to wet it out from the inside. I only carry a jacket.

Possibly. I do not have any experience with the higher end pieces however it maybe tough to stay dry if moving. Even when I was in the best shape of my life I was a sweater and was just as damp on the inside. Accepting this--I doubt I will lug my rain gear around anymore instead opting for a lightweight poncho if caught in a downpour. This is just my limited experience.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I think my expectations would be high if I had $500-600 rain gear. if I had a $80 set my expectations would be lower. What you have under the rain gear can be as important as well. If active your base layers and insulation layer have to get moisture away from your skin and to the outer rain gear before the rain gear has a chance to wick it out.

tdot

WKR
As long as you understand how the membranes work. How to treat them, how to layer under them, understand their limitations, etc. Then yes, you should expect to stay dry.

chhh1984

FNG
Too high. Especially if spending more than a few days in the back country.

Wrench

WKR
Think about how it is supposed to work. In a static environment they all work well. Now take the membrane and add some quieting fabric to the outside to hold water....its on the outside, so it should be fine....right?

You're going to see the outer fabric wet itself which will reduce efficiency. Breathe through these fuxing face coverings sucks....now get it wet.....uber sucks. Its less efficient.

Now think about vapor transfer. If you can keep the inside warmer than the out, but cool enough to keep sweating at a minimum....you're dialed. But it happens to 1 in 1000 guys. Most cant temp regulate for shit......so they sweat hard.

Back to the wet face covering....it's hard to move air through, now try to add more moisture to it and see how much it sucks.

My best results when very active is with windstopper for rain gear.....AS LONG AS I KEEP VERY WARM. I will sweat and I will get wet, but it will transfer out and I will dry fast. If I have to stop my activity its time to shed the windstopper and don the gore tex.....timing is critical. Do it too soon and I'm sweaty, too late and I'm soaked.

I find the best raingear is slick and noisy, able to regulate temp with vents and zippers and able to be dried fast.

I always sweat in it so I stopped using it. One leas thing to carry that doesn’t really do anything for me. I’d rather carry an extra baselayer to change into once I’m done moving around.

My rain gear expectations are that it will keep rain off of me and that I will sweat in it.

It's always a bit of an estimation when to put it on. Your hiking, it starts to rain, what is the point of diminishment when you will be more wet from the rain than from the sweat? At low exertion it's pretty obvious for me to wear it. Last year I spent two hours freezing under a tree when a storm rolled in. It sucked but I would have been miserable without a rain jacket. Pants, I almost never wear unless I know it rained all night and I know the vegetation is soaked. Or if it's that awful point of wintry mix between rain, snow, and mud.

Usually, I'm taking a jacket. Add gaiters if backpacking or expecting moisture. Pants only if it's really wet.

Wow, not having good quality rain gear in the backcountry can be bad. If you're close to the truck then not an issue. Anyone who has spent time in the backcountry knows rain gear is essential, even life saving. At times it will rain/ sleet/ snow for days. Top quality rain gear will keep you dry from the elements, but if you're active you will sweat. Much rather deal with sweat inside rain gear than be caught in bad weather without it. With today's lightweight, high quality rain gear there shouldn't be an excuse not to have it with you if your far from the truck/trailhead. Most quality rain gear will have zipper vents to help mitigate some of sweating when hiking.

All American Boy

Lil-Rokslider
If hiking hard and is humid you will sweate faster than it can breathe. Buy raingear that has good ventilation, put zips and velcro closures at the wrist are a must. Also, make sure your your layering system is solid. Merino or synthetic next to skin. And start hiking cold, when you stop out on a puffy.

manitou1

WKR
You either get wet from the outside or from the inside, depending on activity level. You just have to balance which will be the greater evil and try to minimize it with decent gear and moderation.