Expectations vs reality

I hunted for years in Osprey's and Gregories. They hurt my shoulders after ~30 lbs in the pack. I may be tired at the end of the day with 40 lbs in a Kifaru, but I won't hurt the same way. There's a big difference with high end packs.

In your position I'd suggest playing catch and release on the classifieds here. You don't need to buy new, and you really only need to buy a frame that's got the right size belt and stays to test it with a heavy load. You can be in it for a decent investment, and make 90% back after shipping if you decide that style of hunting isn't for you.

The old timers and Mountain Men used horses, mules and sleds and boards if the Indians didn’t take it from them. They were smart. Then we come along and decide it’s easier on our backs. I think they had the right idea ;)

I hunted for years in Osprey's and Gregories. They hurt my shoulders after ~30 lbs in the pack. I may be tired at the end of the day with 40 lbs in a Kifaru, but I won't hurt the same way. There's a big difference with high end packs.

In your position I'd suggest playing catch and release on the classifieds here. You don't need to buy new, and you really only need to buy a frame that's got the right size belt and stays to test it with a heavy load. You can be in it for a decent investment, and make 90% back after shipping if you decide that style of hunting isn't for you.
There are some misconceptions out there regarding what is heavy and what is light and whether it tires ones self out. A pack that starts out at 4 lbs vs 6 lbs? Cmon man. At the end weight, if I tried hard enough, my pack wouldn’t be any heavier than one of those silk polyester packs on the market when loaded up for 10 days. An extra 2 pounds is not gonna make a difference. Not sure why the ultra light crowd pushes that narrative.

There are some misconceptions out there regarding what is heavy and what is light and whether it tires ones self out. A pack that starts out at 4 lbs vs 6 lbs? Cmon man. At the end weight, if I tried hard enough, my pack wouldn’t be any heavier than one of those silk polyester packs on the market when loaded up for 10 days. An extra 2 pounds is not gonna make a difference. Not sure why the ultra light crowd pushes that narrative.
I'm not sure I follow what you're saying?

I was trying to make the point that one pack hurts my muscles, and the other doesn't. Looks like I made a typo. That was supposed to be an apples to apples weight comparison.

I'm not sure I follow what you're saying?

I was trying to make the point that one pack hurts my muscles, and the other doesn't. Looks like I made a typo. That was supposed to be an apples to apples weight comparison.
Just an observation. Not necessarily anything you said. I’ve seen too many times to count where guys have made an issue over 2 pounds in one sentence, then say they pack in for 10 days at only 36 pounds for example. Heck, if I was bragging about going in that light, 2 more pounds definitely would not be an issue.

Just an observation. Not necessarily anything you said. I’ve seen too many times to count where guys have made an issue over 2 pounds in one sentence, then say they pack in for 10 days at only 36 pounds for example. Heck, if I was bragging about going in that light, 2 more pounds definitely would not be an issue.

Yah the weight chasing issue is real. ITs easy to see the benefit when you start cutting. Its harder to admit that if those last 1-3 lbs are a deal break, they are not really the problem.

I ran an arcteryx for a while and then an osprey and then moved over to stone glacier for a while. I finally ended up at a Kifaru system and I am very pleased. The system for my style, works great. But my wife runs a Gregory and has 0 issues.

BluMtn

WKR
Planning on heading to Colorado this fall for an otc elk hunt. Victory loves preparation; with that mindset I put together a sandbag/contractor bag/duct tape bag to test/train in light of what may come. I’ve done a 7 day backpack trip in CO recently and do several 3 day outings here in the Appalachians. So today expected my Osprey pack to handle the “load” and was quickly hit with reality. This bag may be good for hiking/camping but it’s not going to help when it comes time to hauling meat. The dude I’m going to CO with keeps asking “how did the old timers do it” our answer is inevitably the hard way! I guess those old salts just shouldered the load and took it one step at a time.

Just tonight it hit me. They did it that way because shy of using a pack animal that was the only way to do it. With this short narrative now complete does anyone have any thoughts on too much pack vs too little?

To sum it up I have several packs already actually too many. Osprey, TNF, Camelback, Outdoor Products, Rudis. Sizes range from day packs, assault style, 3/4 day, to 6+ day. However none are rated for weight that seems to be appropriate for packing big game.

So the question is do I add another pack to the fleet or do I resolve to pain and suffering with what I have? Can I make what I have work? Maybe. Will it be easy? H to the no!

You ask they did it in the "old days" , in the 60's and 70's our hunting party had packs that were nothing more than small bags that had straps on them. We carried our sandwiches, knives, 1/4" nylon rope, and extra shells. When we got a bull down we skinned it and set it out on sticks with the hide under it. We would let it sit for about three days and then we would spend a couple days hauling meat which meant we would quarter a bull and take our 1/4" nylon rope and fashion shoulder straps and sling it on our back and start the pack out. The older men would take one quarter while the younger guys would take one or two quarters and someone would take the backstraps plus someone else would pack the head. Those were the glory days because it was a regular year to get 7 or 8 bulls in a season so we packed a lot of meat with those ropes. I still carry those ropes with me today to tie off legs to trees or emergency rope.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
in the 70's and 80's we used these- WWII vintage- they sucked :D

3xuQNU9.jpg

When I am backcountry hunting I have had good luck using an inexpensive REI backpack to pack in camp and hunt with, and have an old Cableas frame pack that I keep in the truck. If get something I pack out my camp, weapon, and maybe some loins/ backstraps, then grab the frame pack to haul the quarters out. I'd be lying if I told you I wasn't interested in one of these fancy new modular packs but I have yet to feel under packed with what I have.

OP
J

Jonn44

FNG
Thanks to everyone for the input and suggestions. After some further research I think I am going to keep an eye open for MR Metcalf. I think with some patience I can find one with out getting into deep. The Metcalf should be able to fulfill a couple of roles for me; from training, to the actual hunt and day trips as well as some 2/3 day backpacking trips.

Gapmaster

WKR
Thanks to everyone for the input and suggestions. After some further research I think I am going to keep an eye open for MR Metcalf. I think with some patience I can find one with out getting into deep. The Metcalf should be able to fulfill a couple of roles for me; from training, to the actual hunt and day trips as well as some 2/3 day backpacking trips.
Put a WTB ad in classifieds here and check the WTS side of it 1-2 daily and you’ll find one I bet. Good luck with the pack and your hunt!

dingle

Lil-Rokslider
Your timing is good - you'll have the rest of the offseason to make sure you've found the frame size that fits you and a pack that's versatile (the Metcalf is). Best not to overthink it before the hunt. Keep in mind that if the pack fits right, after a long day you shouldn't feel much soreness due to the pack itself UNLESS it was a heavy load day, in which case you should feel that your hips have been doing the work and not your shoulders.

peterk123

WKR
Take the following with a grain of salt because i have not hauled an animal on my back yet.

I have been training with an osprey exo 58. Fifty pounds of weight. The belt just collapses under the weight. But it works for training and short hikes with the dog.

I am currently vacationing in Montana so I stopped by SG and also checked out MR packs. Oh my, what difference. 30 pounds is not even felt on my body. Once up to 50, well weight is weight. But so stable. And I can really shift all the weight to my hips. So now I own a SG pack, as does my wife. It is stupid expensive but for safety reasons, it's a no brainer. I'm in my mid fifties, so for me safety trumps the dollar every single time. Pete

OP
J

Jonn44

FNG
Take the following with a grain of salt because i have not hauled an animal on my back yet.

I have been training with an osprey exo 58. Fifty pounds of weight. The belt just collapses under the weight. But it works for training and short hikes with the dog.

I am currently vacationing in Montana so I stopped by SG and also checked out MR packs. Oh my, what difference. 30 pounds is not even felt on my body. Once up to 50, well weight is weight. But so stable. And I can really shift all the weight to my hips. So now I own a SG pack, as does my wife. It is stupid expensive but for safety reasons, it's a no brainer. I'm in my mid fifties, so for me safety trumps the dollar every single time. Pete
Good to know; thanks! So would you say the SG fit you better as opposed to the MR?

If budget is an issue buy a used load hauler and mount a lightweight pack on it. I have bought several external pack frame load haulers from the cabelas bargain cave for 45-65 bucks.
If your not on a budget then any of the top pack manufacturers will suffice. I really like my stone glacier frame and suspension.

You may already know this from your research, but MR updated their frame design in 2019 from the Guide Light to Guide Light "MT". In my opinion, the segmented 5-panel belt on the MT frame is a big improvement over the non-MT belt and would be worth spending a little more money.

MR also changed their buckle design as part of the frame update, so older bags designed for the non-MT frame aren't directly compatible with the new MT frame (and vice versa). You can order a buckle conversion kit over the phone from MR customer service if you wanted to mix-and-match bag/frame generations.

Good luck with your search. If you're on Facebook, the "Mystery Ranch Interest and Sales" private group would be a good place to look.

Last edited:

Ram94

WKR
You may already know this from your research, but MR updated their frame design in 2019 from the Guide Light to Guide Light "MT". In my opinion, the segmented 5-panel belt on the MT frame is a big improvement over the non-MT belt and would be worth spending a little more money.

MR also changed their buckle design as part of the frame update, so older bags designed for the non-MT frame aren't directly compatible with the new MT frame (and vice versa). You can order a buckle conversion kit over the phone from MR customer service if you wanted to mix-and-match bag/frame generations.

Good luck with your search. If you're on Facebook, the "Mystery Ranch Interest and Sales" private group would be a good place to look.
Agreed! For anyone who has written MR off after only trying the old GL, the MT frame is phenomenal.