Exped sleeping pad problems?

AFlan30

FNG
I am looking at getting a new sleeping pad for my upcoming deer hunt in Idaho this fall/winter. I really like the specs of the Exped Downmat Winter UL pad and can get it 20% off at Enwild right now. However, the more I look around at Exped pads in general, the reviews are a mixed bag. People are saying they are the most comfortable pads they’ve ever used, but durability seems to be the issue here and there. Some are saying that baffles are popping after a few days of use.

What is your experience with these?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NoWiser

WKR
My Downmat is going on 10 years without an issue. My Synmat is going on 4 or 5 and has been flawless. I highly recommend them.

Decker9

WKR
I’m going on 5 years and a lot of mountain night with my exped synmat UL, Ill never switch. Out of the handful of pads iv used, the expeds take the cake in comfort.

OP
A

AFlan30

FNG
Thank you for the input! How is customer service/warranty? Or have you even had to mess with that?

Decker9

WKR
Thank you for the input! How is customer service/warranty? Or have you even had to mess with that?

Not as of yet, thankfully. Iv never really heard anything of their customer service, but you know what they say, good service often goes unnoticed, bad service often gets published.

Clovis

Lil-Rokslider
My downmats have been solid and are still the sweet spot for me in terns of size, comfort, warmth and weight. I wish they were lighter, but the weight is worth it to me.

Beendare

WKR
I've been using a Exped Synmat for almost 10 years. The one I bought initially developed some holes at the 4 yr 10 month mark....Exped gave me a new one for free....had it in a week. Great customer service.

FWIW, I've either seen [buddies on trips] or used all of the pads out there except for sea to summit. I've had or seen many pads fail from other manufacturers.

The Exped and Thermarest are the best by a wide margin IMO. The Expeds are a little heavier than others as they use a tougher/heavier fabric. I've had mine on granite and such many times- solid.

I prefer the toughness of the Exped over a few ounces of weight savings when the option is sleeping on hard ground when it deflates.

______

mlgc20

WKR
My brother's Exped Downmat failed on its second use. Luckily it was a September trip, so you can get by without a pad. But, he got treated to a few nights of awful sleep thanks to his Exped. To their credit, Exped CS was great and gave him a new pad. Of course by then, he was done with Exped. I've had several Exped pads without any issues.

You will find lots of bad reviews on sleeping pads, including Exped. Frankly, just stick with the major brands and pick the one that you find the most comfortable and has the proper R value. I use a BA Q-Core for my 3 season pad and a couple of different Expeds for my winter pads. The BA pad is way more comfortable IMO. But, it doesn't have the R value to just drop on the snow when it's 0 degrees out. My Exped Downmat 9 can do that with no problem. But, no need to lug that thing around in September.

OP
A

AFlan30

FNG
I've been using a Exped Synmat for almost 10 years. The one I bought initially developed some holes at the 4 yr 10 month mark....Exped gave me a new one for free....had it in a week. Great customer service.

FWIW, I've either seen [buddies on trips] or used all of the pads out there except for sea to summit. I've had or seen many pads fail from other manufacturers.

The Exped and Thermarest are the best by a wide margin IMO. The Expeds are a little heavier than others as they use a tougher/heavier fabric. I've had mine on granite and such many times- solid.

I prefer the toughness of the Exped over a few ounces of weight savings when the option is sleeping on hard ground when it deflates.

______

I hadn’t read anywhere they are a little thicker fabric. Also good to know on the customer service. I didn’t know how strict they would be on manufacturer workmanship. This is really helpful thank you very much!

OP
A

AFlan30

FNG
My brother's Exped Downmat failed on its second use. Luckily it was a September trip, so you can get by without a pad. But, he got treated to a few nights of awful sleep thanks to his Exped. To their credit, Exped CS was great and gave him a new pad. Of course by then, he was done with Exped. I've had several Exped pads without any issues.

You will find lots of bad reviews on sleeping pads, including Exped. Frankly, just stick with the major brands and pick the one that you find the most comfortable and has the proper R value. I use a BA Q-Core for my 3 season pad and a couple of different Expeds for my winter pads. The BA pad is way more comfortable IMO. But, it doesn't have the R value to just drop on the snow when it's 0 degrees out. My Exped Downmat 9 can do that with no problem. But, no need to lug that thing around in September.

All good points. I definitely take bad reviews with a grain of salt, but there were quite a few. Glad to hear yours are working though. I checked out the BA Q-core and I think if it had a higher R-value I might have gone that route. They make good stuff. Thanks for the input!

sneaky

"DADDY"
Thermarest makes pads with just as durable of material as Exped. I don't care for Exped pads because of the vertical baffles, lots of people love them. Have you gotten to try any pads in person, or just looking at being able to get one during the sale? Pads are a personal thing. I've found several I like and several I don't like.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I had an exped get a hole on the first night of use. I emailed CS and they told me to send it in and they’d replace it. It’s still sitting in a gear tote needing to be sent in lol. I have other pads to use so it wasn’t high on my priority list, I’ll get it sent back in one of these days cause I’d really like to try it out.

Mine are 100% after years of harsh use. Before it was named WINTER it was a UL9, mine are LW. So good I bought four of em so if anything does happen to one, I'm covered. I'm too old to ever need to replace all 4. Finest mats I have found.

sndmn11

WKR
I hadn’t read anywhere they are a little thicker fabric. Also good to know on the customer service. I didn’t know how strict they would be on manufacturer workmanship. This is really helpful thank you very much!

In the specs/materials of most of these pads, the higher the denier (d) generally the tougher the material.

1594178264967.png
1594178364862.png
1594178441193.png
1594178646878.png

I had a partial baffle delamination creating a big bulge. They happily upgraded me to the new version that was supposed to fix that issue. Been working great until my dog decided he needed to wedge himself and push his claws into the pad REALLY hard. Have another going on 8 ish years still works great.
I did try a Q core and it was awful for me and extremely narrow. The newer exped shape of wider at the shoulders is brilliant and works really well

Trial153

WKR
I had a down Mat that the valve blew right out of the gate, didn't have good CS experience at all. I seen good and bad with most pad brands and I think by the nature of the product and how it's used it just is what it is.

Baffles blew out in my first Exped many years ago. I contacted them and they sent me a new pad with zero hassle. I didn't even have to send in the defective pad. That pad was 5 seasons old when the baffles let go. I believe Exped has addressed that problem and has less issues now. I've used their pads so many years that I won't even consider another brand these days.