Exped sleeping pad problems?

OP
A

AFlan30

FNG
Thermarest makes pads with just as durable of material as Exped. I don't care for Exped pads because of the vertical baffles, lots of people love them. Have you gotten to try any pads in person, or just looking at being able to get one during the sale? Pads are a personal thing. I've found several I like and several I don't like.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I’ve been interested in their XTherm Max as well. I haven’t been able to, I live 3 hours from the nearest major sporting goods store that would carry any, so I haven’t had the ability to try them in person. Definitely looking to get something during a sale, but Enwild has been offering 20% off any regular priced items for awhile now so I think I’ve got time since most July 4th sales are over. I think I’m going to order something from them to try and return it if I don’t like it.

OP
A

AFlan30

FNG
I think every product can have issues. My exped downmatt is pushin about 8-9 years old without failure. It gets used 5-15 nights a year.

That sounds about like the amount I would probably use it. It’s comforting to know people are able to hang on to them for that long without issues considering their price tag.

OP
A

AFlan30

FNG
Thanks again to everyone contributing. Sounds like I will be ordering the Downmat this morning to give it a test run!

OP
A

AFlan30

FNG
Baffles blew out in my first Exped many years ago. I contacted them and they sent me a new pad with zero hassle. I didn't even have to send in the defective pad. That pad was 5 seasons old when the baffles let go. I believe Exped has addressed that problem and has less issues now. I've used their pads so many years that I won't even consider another brand these days.

That’s what I like to hear! Other than Trial153’s bad experience, sounds like customer service is better than they advertise.

swanny

Lil-Rokslider
Figured I'd jump in and introduce myself. I'm Nick, I'm the US Sales Coordinator for EXPED. Actually met one of my good friends and hunting partners when I was working in Customer Service. He experienced a failed baffle on an elk trip and we got him taken care of with a new mat upon his return.

Aside from that little story, more than happy to answer any EXPED related questions.

There used to be baffle issues, but that's been cleared up in production for 3-4 years now. We pride ourselves in being sure that you are taken care of though whether there is a defect or if you have a puncture in your mat. Give our customer service a call or send an email and they'll be sure you are ready for your next trip.

IMG_1800.JPG2019 buck 2.jpg

dmess

FNG
Hope my exped keeps holding up. It’s been great so far. My back won’t let me sleep on most sleeping pads for more than a couple nights before I start losing sleep. I’ve done two weeks on my exped without complaints. I won’t go into the high country without it anymore. I’m a side sleeper and my hip bones would always bottom out at some point but not with this one. I’ve got maybe 50 or so nights on it so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slatty

WKR
I had a valve go on an exped downmat after 5 years and they replaced it. I find my exped much more comfortable than the thermarest xtherm. Big agnes is best for comfort for me, but not as warm (the Qcore).

FURMAN

WKR
I am personally done with Exped. My pillow and mattress seams have both "popped". Not fun when in the back country on a hunt.

ohoopee

WKR
Great customer service. I shipped my downmat 5 in for a blown seam and
had new one within 2 weeks last month. It was about 4 years old.

swanny

Lil-Rokslider
I am personally done with Exped. My pillow and mattress seams have both "popped". Not fun when in the back country on a hunt.
Real sorry to hear about the issues on two pieces on what sounds like a single trip. I'd urge you to get in touch with Customer Service ([email protected]) and have them sent in for repair and warranty evaluation. We will get you taken care of. Depending on what you mean by "popped" (leaking air?) it's a good chance there is a puncture which is generally a quick and easy repair.

FURMAN

WKR
Real sorry to hear about the issues on two pieces on what sounds like a single trip. I'd urge you to get in touch with Customer Service ([email protected]) and have them sent in for repair and warranty evaluation. We will get you taken care of. Depending on what you mean by "popped" (leaking air?) it's a good chance there is a puncture which is generally a quick and easy repair.

No leaks just big blobs of air as opposed to being shaped like a sleeping pad or pillow. I do appreciate you reaching out however even if you fixed them I would never trust them in the back country again with two separate products doing the same thing.

Legend

WKR
Can't tell you how many nights I have slept on my e ped down mat but it has been a lot. Bought it in 2009 and it has been bullet proof. Doubt there is a better version for what it is.

swanny

Lil-Rokslider
No leaks just big blobs of air as opposed to being shaped like a sleeping pad or pillow. I do appreciate you reaching out however even if you fixed them I would never trust them in the back country again with two separate products doing the same thing.

Okay, sounds like a failed baffle then. I can assure if you send them in we will get you taken care of. This was fixed in production 3-4yrs ago and we have had no issues since. Happy hunting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@swanny

I believe my current unit is a Downmat 9 LW. It has the integrated 2-hand pump deal. What is the current Downmat (nomenclature) equivalent to it? Did Exped kill the 2-hand pump feature?

I have 2 Exped synmat 9a. They have been abused from Alaska to Kansas to Minnesota. They have been flawless.

And they are the most comfortable mats I have ever used, BY FAR

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

My first Exped, the yellow long wide was great! Until it got shut in the back of my girlfriend's Suburu on a 100 degree plus day at the lake, aired up. Popped the baffles. Bought a Exped 9 I think it was, the brownish orange one, for the R value. Heavier and bulkier. Didn't like it. It took it's last trip earlier this year. Been using the Sea to Summit Ether Light the last couple years and absolutely love it!

SoTxShooter

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve got a Synmat UL that is going on year 3. Been great so far! Compresses down to the size of a yeti cup, doesn’t weigh much, and provides a lot of comfort for it being small and lightweight. If I start doing more late season hunting, I’d get a regular Synmat or Downmat with no questions asked.

swanny

Lil-Rokslider
@swanny

I believe my current unit is a Downmat 9 LW. It has the integrated 2-hand pump deal. What is the current Downmat (nomenclature) equivalent to it? Did Exped kill the 2-hand pump feature?

We did remove the internal pump model in favor o the XP, which includes the Schnozzel Pumpbag instead. Quicker inflation and the pumpbag also doubles as a dry bag if you want.