Exped sleeping pad problems?

swanny

Lil-Rokslider
I wish you had a 27"-30" wide, <35oz, 5+ r value pad.

We do a MW (medium wide) mat that is 26" wide and 72" long, we also do the same width in our LW (long wide) which comes out at 78x26". You'll get a 5.0 or greater R-Value in the Synmat UL/HL Winter or DownMat UL/HL Winter mats and at less than 35oz.

If you would prefer a 75D fabric instead of the 20D in the UL mats, the SynMat XP 7 will also fall in right under your weight and at a 4.8 r-value.

Brk007

FNG
I’ve had great experiences with Exped pads and the Exped USA customer service team has been top notch. Currently using the synmat 7. My only wish is that inflatable pads in general were quieter.

I can't say enough good things about Exped products and the company itself. I currently run a Megamat 10 MW for truck camping and a Synmat 3-D 7 for fall/spring backpacking. About to pick up a Downmat HL Winter in MW for the extra width during late season hunts. The specs on it are very impressive.

I have had several failures with the mats. On one occasion, the adhesive on the Megamat came apart when it got too close to my tipi stove. Exped replaced it for free after I sent in a picture. Next, a buddy borrowed my Synmat 3-D and his dog sliced a 7 inch hole in the top. I sent it in for repair with no questions asked.

Fantastic customer service and a great product. Can't recommend them enough.

Shrek

WKR
I haven’t read all the posts but my Synmat UL 9 has been flawless for 7 ? years I think it has been. The snozzel bag is priceless for blowing up the pad ! I highly recommend getting it to go with the pad.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Just got the shipping notice for my synmat UL that I sent in a few weeks ago for a repair, I was expecting a bill but didn’t get one, just a shipping notice. I’m looking forward to getting it back, the klymit pad I’ve been using isn’t as nice.

I've had 4 ExPed Downmats and every single one of them has had the baffles pop. It's very annoying but the damn things are so comfortable I just keep replacing it with another.

JPD350

WKR
I have had two Exped UL7s and both popped baffles, the last one was just over a year old.
I have a Sea to Summit Ether lite now, so far it's a been a very comfortable pad (2 yrs)

Brendan

WKR
I've been thinking about buying an Exped, looking for something a little bigger, wider, thicker than my Thermarest XTherm, basically a little more comfort oriented when I don't mind carrying a little extra weight / space.

Any recommendations on model?

swanny

Lil-Rokslider
I've been thinking about buying an Exped, looking for something a little bigger, wider, thicker than my Thermarest XTherm, basically a little more comfort oriented when I don't mind carrying a little extra weight / space.

Any recommendations on model?
Check out either the SynMat UL/HL Winter series if you want 20D UL fabrics or the SynMat XP 9 for 75D fabric. Both will give you winter worthy R-values and come in LW (long wide) 78x26" sizes. They are 9cm thick, so roughly 3.5" also.

CO-AJ

WKR
I just bought one and used it straight for about 1 week. Absolutely no issues, what made it shine even more was we had temps from the mid-high 70's during the day to 30's at night and it stayed inflated the whole time. I do however put it in a floored tent with a groundcloth.

Exped fan here. I think they are a good blend of durbility, comfort, and warmth.

I had a Downmat Lite that got a small puncture but was easy to repair with no issues. Sold it because it was a little too narrow for my liking.

I have a Synmat wide and a Downmat 7 now.
I really like the convenience of the schnozzel pump bag, and use it to stuff my down sleeping bag in before putting it in my pack to keep it dry.

I'm a side sleeper as well and like the added height. A little extra weight is worth it to me.

I haven't used any of the other bags since my last thermarest which was superlite but crunchy like a potato chip bag.

I do have one of the pillows that the baffles separated, and need to send it in as advised above. I replaced it with another one though.

Mechanicsburg

Lil-Rokslider
Ok this post has my mind made up, ordering a Exped over the thermarest I’ve been looking at. I need something wide but temps are not so much an issue in the southern US. Lows in the 30s. What should I look at? Thanks

swanny

Lil-Rokslider
Couple options depending on what you are after - SynMat UL/HL for the ultralight side or the SynMat XP 7 for the more durable general backpacking. UL/HL will get you a 20D fabric while the regular SynMat uses a 75D. You are looking of r-value at 2.9 vs 4.8 with these specific mats. All the ones above are 7cm thick inflated. Each comes in M (72x20), MW (72x26) or LW (78x26) for sizes.

superA

WKR
I have used expeds for a long time. Had a baffle blow a few days before the five year warranty was up. Took just a few days to get a new one. Letting the air out a bit still allowed me to sleep on it in comfort. I have several of them and that's the only issue I've had. They are quiet and in my opinion the most comfortable. If you're worried about it just get a heavier one instead of the hl.

GPool1842

WKR
I have the same pad you mention in the OP, in the long/wide version. I used it for a year or two for multiple trips and had it go flat on night 1 of 3 in the New Mexico wilderness in May, during a fire ban. That sucked. Exped was great and ended up getting the pad and testing/repairing it over the weekend so they could get it before I left for a trip on Tuesday. They called me to see what time I was leaving so they could pick an appropriate shipping speed to ensure it got to me. They were over the top awesome about it. Like another reviewer, I sat on the pad after the initial conversation for months and sent it in last minute and they still accommodated.

I will def be sticking with them. My pad had 3 small holes in the top. Probably from not storing correctly or rolling up with debris in the bag, who knows. They are just so very comfortable and warm. I have 3 other pads from Big Agnes and Klymit that I don’t use. Exped is just too comfortable for me. I am 6’180#.

Teejay

FNG
Thank you for the input! How is customer service/warranty? Or have you even had to mess with that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
New here to the forums but will chime in for my first post. I had an Exped synmat 7 fail (baffle) this summer after 4 years and 8 months of regular summer use backpacking and car camping. It failed within their 5 year warranty period and they replaced it with a newer version no questions asked. By far the most comfortable pad I’ve used and well worth the weight.

Rodéo

WKR
My UL downmat 7 failed today... lucky I brought a back up. Issue is a split seam along the outer top-edge of the pad, about a millimeter in size but causes a slow, persistent leak.

Really loved the downmat before this... hope the warranty service is solid. Just emailed them.

Moserkr

WKR
I put 3 micro holes in my Exped pad and couldnt find them to fix. Sent it in and they fixed it for free. Their goal is to keep their products out of the landfill. CS rep was super nice too, even giving me a personal phone call. I was able to ask how they repair it and was told it is put into a dunk tank to locate leaks, then tested for at least 24 hrs with 150 lbs of weight on it before being returned. My pad is patched and has given me 2 more seasons for a total of 5 so far. Great customer service and an equally good product. Hard to beat that.