exped synmat7 in TiGoat ptarmigan bivy, plus ptarmigan bivy mods?

ozyclint

WKR
hey guys, does anyone know if the exped synmat 7 UL M mat fits in the ptarmigan bivy?
i've got the mat and i'm considering buying the ptarmigan. would the raven omni be a better fit for this mat?

also i'm toying with the idea of modifying the bivy to have a half top (the bottom half) of silnylon to complement the full silnylon floor, leaving the rest as is for breathability. the reason being is in my solo tent my feet brush the walls and the bottom half of my bag picks up the condensation. also when i use the bag under a tarp it will offer a little more protection.
i'm going to email them to see if they can do this from the factory of if it's something i'll have to do myself.
what do you think of the idea?

Eagle

WKR
I have a neoair, which is essentially the same size. I started out with the ptarmigan, and then sent it back to get the raven as the ptarmigan was a little tight with my pad and bag, plus I like to be able to put other things in the bivy with me to keep them from freezing (fuel canisters, water filters). I wouldn't worry about the extra silnylon, as the top material does have a DWR coating. I've had water pooled on the top of the bivy and not had it run down onto my bag at all.

slim9300

WKR
I have a neoair, which is essentially the same size. I started out with the ptarmigan, and then sent it back to get the raven as the ptarmigan was a little tight with my pad and bag, plus I like to be able to put other things in the bivy with me to keep them from freezing (fuel canisters, water filters). I wouldn't worry about the extra silnylon, as the top material does have a DWR coating. I've had water pooled on the top of the bivy and not had it run down onto my bag at all.

Perfect. I was wondering this myself. Thanks!

Anyone know if the large UL 7 will fit in the Raven? I worry that it may be too tight.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
My 20x72 big Agnes insulated air core pad is a bit tight but my no air short has room aplenty mainly due to the fact that he ptarmigan bivy is cut mummy style. If wanting to o full size pad inside get he raven.

OP
ozyclint

ozyclint

WKR
thanks guys, looks like the raven is what i'll need to fit in. i guess it's better to have it a bit lose than too snug because you dont want to stop your bag from getting full loft

Cabman

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Exped UL 7 and the Raven Bivy. Plenty of room with a GoLite 20 degree sleeping bag. I had the regular Ti goat Bivy, but sent it back in favor of the Raven Omni and so far I am happy with it in the 2 nights I have used it.