Expeirence with SEVR broadheads

JOC Fan

FNG
I am thinking of switching to these from this year and would like to know if anyone has killed large size game (Moose-elk) using these and how was the performance, wound channel, exit hole, etc. Thank you.

devinhal

FNG
I've been happy with my experience with the SEVR heads so far. Haven't had a chance to put them through an elk yet, but I would trust them.

bsnedeker

WKR
Buddy of mine shot a bull elk last season with one. Elk died about an hour later about 300 yards from the shot. We had no blood trail so found him by grid searching....we bumped him 45 minutes after the shot and he ran a short distance before toppling over.

This was a shot that was high and back in the lungs and the elk decided to head up hill after the shot so that is a perfect recipe for zero blood trail so I don't blame the broadhead for that. He had a complete pass through of both lungs and from the looks of the entrance and exit the blades did their job.

OP
JOC Fan

JOC Fan

FNG
Buddy of mine shot a bull elk last season with one. Elk died about an hour later about 300 yards from the shot. We had no blood trail so found him by grid searching....we bumped him 45 minutes after the shot and he ran a short distance before toppling over.

This was a shot that was high and back in the lungs and the elk decided to head up hill after the shot so that is a perfect recipe for zero blood trail so I don't blame the broadhead for that. He had a complete pass through of both lungs and from the looks of the entrance and exit the blades did their job.
Thanks for the info.

Trial153

WKR
The 1.5 are the cats ass in mechanicals heads. Not sure your going to find anything better.
They can keep the 2.0, they are nothing special and the 2.1 really sucked

Last edited:
I’ve shot a handful of deer with them out of tree stands at fairly steep angles. Zero blood on the ground but I watched every one tip over within 80 yards

laltaffer

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve shot a few whitetail with the 2.0. Never had a problem. Great blood each time. All shots were 35 yards and in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did not like the Ulmer Edge daddy to the Sevr. The 1.5" UE gave me very poor blood trails the one season I used them. YMMV

Tradchef

WKR
Not moose or elk but I took this fat Mulie doe last Monday with a 125 1.5 at 32 yards. She went 70 yards. Blood trail was decent about 40 yards in. I’m not a big compound guy but I did set one up for antelope instead of using my longbow.

Attachments

• 4F2BA8FC-E3A9-4FB6-AE36-3107458E93FB.jpeg
    4F2BA8FC-E3A9-4FB6-AE36-3107458E93FB.jpeg
    714.3 KB · Views: 72
  • 724596E4-4F15-4219-A15C-070095C1967E.jpeg
    724596E4-4F15-4219-A15C-070095C1967E.jpeg
    684 KB · Views: 71

S.Clancy

WKR
I've shot my last 2 bulls with them, both big mature animals. Shots were both around 50 yds, one hard quartering one less quartering. Hard quartering bull, behind last rib, buried to the fletching ~25" of penetration. Bull went 30 yards and died in sight. Less quartering bull, hit slightly back, 1 lung and liver, bull went 600 yards after we bumped him, 20" of penetration after hitting onside and offside ribs. I shoot the 1.7" SEVR, setup is 505 gr in the low 280s fps. I consider my setup the minimum to shoot a mech at elk.

I've also shot antelope with the SEVR, results are excellent.

Joshk358

FNG
No big animals here, but I have killed a fallow buck in the Texas hill country and a couple of whitetails with the 1.7. No issue with penetration but blood trails have not been as heavy as I'd like. I shoot a heavy setup like S. Clancy.....510 gr arrow moving around 285-290fps.

I have only used the 2.0 on whitetails and I was very happy with the results. I have some 1.5 in my quiver to test as well this season. I personally wouldnt feel confident using the 2.0 on elk size game unless it was a perfectly broadside shot, they do lack some in the penetration department. However if it's any consolation, a fella I shared elk camp with this season frontal shot a bull with a Sevr and got 20" of penetration, dead bull in sight. He was shooting 31", 75lb.

AkRyan

WKR
Me and my dad and his friend have harvested around 20 deer with the 2.1 and 2.0. Never had to track over 200yrds and always have blood. I carry the 1.5 for moose and bear. Shooting 70lbs vxr with 580g arrows.

The past few years I've used Slick Trick 100's 1" for elk, and I keep 4 of those in my quiver along with a Sevr 1.5" cut for longer shots, "just in case."

In 2019 I shot a bull broadside super close, could have been 8 yards, maybe 13 yards, with the Slick Trick 4 blades and the arrow buried up to the fletching. A friend made a follow up shot, also Slick Trick, and his arrow hit just a few inches from mine with a similar result. As the bull rounded a tree I put the Sevr in him really tight to the shoulder. Buried up to the fletchings. He died quickly just down the hill. I concluded the Sevr penetrated like two fixed blades but with a more dramatic wound channel.

In 2020 I had a bull broadside raking a tree at 63 yards so I grabbed the Sevr, hit him where I was aiming and he walked down the hill and died quickly. Not overly impressive blood trail. Some blood but not a lot. I watched him die so it didn't really matter. The arrow fully penetrated his body but did not poke through the backside.

After those two years I decided screw it I'll just use all Sevr 1.5's. Killed this bull with 1 arrow at 55 yards broadside. I got about 20" of penetration kinda high lung. Again not an impressive blood trail. But he made it 80 yards and piled up (we found him by looking down the hill).

elk 2021 1.JPG

My buddy just killed a bull last week with the Sevr, I'm not sure if it was the 1.5" or not. First shot was long and hit back, bull was incredibly sick. Made a follow up shot and took out the heart. The penetration was not impressive but the would channel was. Even with the top end of the heart taken out the bull took a while to die. They are damn tough.

Conclusion: they fly so good for me I will continue to use them. While there may be deadlier heads if we keep energy and point of impact consistent, I am just confident that I can hit an animal where I'm aiming, and they are lethal enough at that point to get the job done.