Expensive boots shrunk!

Marble

WKR
I've got a pair of boots I really like that shrunk a little bit. Full leather. From doing a little research there has been success with stretching boots by putting a plastic bag in the boot, filling it with water and freezing it. When the water freezes it expands and stretches. A lot of people said they got about a 1/2 size increase.

I worked on mine over the weekend and when I get home in a few days I'll try it out and see if it worked.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I've got a pair of boots I really like that shrunk a little bit. Full leather. From doing a little research there has been success with stretching boots by putting a plastic bag in the boot, filling it with water and freezing it. When the water freezes it expands and stretches. A lot of people said they got about a 1/2 size increase.

I worked on mine over the weekend and when I get home in a few days I'll try it out and see if it worked.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
I've used that same technique a few times in the winter only instead of using bags of water I used my toes. Afterwards, the boot size doesn't seem to bother me at all.

OP
Timberline001
Definitely the fire. My partner cooked his boots on a hunt once so badly that he hiked out in the snow in his camp sneakers.
My lowas I had the toe of one shrink ever so slightly, found an actual cobbler, and showed him the boot. 10 minutes later, problem solved.

How much did that cost?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Appreciate all the helpful info here and https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/does-an-all-leather-boot-shrink-or-stretch-over-time.185458/

I am a normally a size 11 boot, got Crispi Nevadas in 10.5 because they fit better. Baked them by a fire to dry out after an all-day hike in the snow. Wore them to next day to take out a load of elk, 12 mile round trip.
IMG_3476.JPG
Did not realize boots had shrunk until I was a few miles from getting back to camp. My toes were in lots of pain, I wore my backup boots to get the rest of the elk out. I realized the fire had shrunk my boots by nearly a whole size. These are my toes today from when they were damaged 2 months ago. I anticipate the two big nails will fall off eventually.

When I got home I put 3/4 full quart ziplocks of water in the boots and froze them. Next, fully saturated boots in hot water and laced them on my feet in a 20 qt oval basin. I repeatedly flexed my feet and toes to re-stretch the leather for about an hour. Next, work the outside leather with saddle soap, about a half dozen applications, until leather was supple again.

Next step, lined inside of each boot with 4 layers of plastic grocery sack, fill with ice cubes, and pour cold water to the top of the boot. Laced the top tightly together, and froze. After 2 days removed. The ice expanded, stretching the supple leather back very close to original size. Dried out boots slowly, then treated liberally with boot oil.

I have wore the boots on 3 hikes since and they work great. The rubber rand over the toe is deformed/indented, however, my toes have space above them and in front of them where they are no longer bumping the toe box when I hike downhill. I'm sure I took some life off the boots with all the abuse I put them through, but I wasn't ready to drop $500 on a new pair if I could save the old ones. Here are the restored boots:
IMG_3474.JPG

Phaseolus

WKR
+1 for your local cobbler. Pro Tip: don’t leave your Lowas in the trunk of a friends car after crawling out of the Black Canyon of the Gunnison when It’s 100 degrees in Grand Junction.