Expensive Packs

OP
Huntingfarandwide
I appreciate all of your comments and advise....that's what makes this site so great!

I live in the East and spend my time hunting and exploring the tristate area around Pennsylvania. Most of my hunting is done with a Blacks Creek Guide Gear Grip Frame and Answer pack. I understand the need for an overload shelf for I use the BC for everything from packing my stands, mineral blocks in to meat out of a dark hollow. This year in Colorado we are supposed to hunt spike from base and I am looking to buy something for 3 - 5 day adventure that has a load shelf. But I will be using the same pack to backpack back home on my adventures which I hope includes some Appalachian Trail time. I just sold my MR Glacier which I really liked but it did not have a frame (just stays) thus did not have overload capabilities.

I have looked at Kuiu, MR, Initial Accent (why no love here?) Exo, SG....I'm tired.

With weights being close.....once you get past comfort and a load shelf....what more is there to offer for the higher price?
So...I appreciate everyone's comments and opinions....and I am glad some Terraframe owners came out to bat for their packs. One thing I did say that no one commented on was there doesn't seem to be love for the Initial Accent IA4K setup. From the looks of it you can get outfitted with a nice size pack with a pannier system that coverts the pack into a day pack. If I were to spend the money that system seems to give more bang for your buck yet I do not see anyone promoting them? Is there something about these packs that I am missing?

So...I appreciate everyone's comments and opinions....and I am glad some Terraframe owners came out to bat for their packs. One thing I did say that no one commented on was there doesn't seem to be love for the Initial Accent IA4K setup. From the looks of it you can get outfitted with a nice size pack with a pannier system that coverts the pack into a day pack. If I were to spend the money that system seems to give more bang for your buck yet I do not see anyone promoting them? Is there something about these packs that I am missing?
I own and love my MR Terraframe 50. Of the people I know that go west hunting we all are using either Mystery Ranch, Kifaru or Osprey packs.

I have seen Initial Ascent packs only in advertising and like you mentioned there is not much info out there about them but they are one of the packs in the Backpack shoot out.

Here is the link if you haven't read it yet. https://www.rokslide.com/forums/thr...acks-go-head-to-head-updated-8-5-2020.172763/

Last edited:
Depending how much meat you plan on packing out you might want something else.

Why? I personally have packed out 3 deer with the Terraframe 50 ranging from 80-140 lbs with no issue.
727a2c1571cfd29e054446755c24075f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was that all meat or room for gear as well? Does it detach from the frame so the meat can be packed in between?
The deer is in a contractors bag on the load shelf. I also have in this picture a bag with between 20-30 pounds of corn in the pack bag.

This is a bigger doe in the load shelf without contractor bag. This one is about 110-120 dressed weight.
e69cffd623e61a40756f1e8e216bc70b.jpg

Evan_35

FNG
The deer is in a contractors bag on the load shelf. I also have in this picture a bag with between 20-30 pounds of corn in the pack bag.

This is a bigger doe in the load shelf without contractor bag. This one is about 110-120 dressed weight.
e69cffd623e61a40756f1e8e216bc70b.jpg
Interesting. Didn’t realize the Terraframe had that. Was thinking about a Metcalf but might have to change and save some money.

Phaseolus

WKR
It depends...if you use your pack one or twice a year or if you use it year round many days.

MR packs are bomb proof! The only MAJOR complaint is that they are heavier IN COMPARISON. However, if you try one and it fits and feels great.... Make that weight up somewhere else! Those who are more concerned about 4oz than a great fit are fools!! Regardless your choice. Fit and comfort are priority! They are all quality

Last edited:
As others have said, if it's comfortable and you like the bag then it's perfect. I have MR metcalf that I've used for 3 or so years and will probably pull the trigger on an exo k3 here soon. Reason being the metcalf never has fit me just right (I was right in between torso length and went the next size up, even adjusted all the way down, the weight seems to migrate to my shoulders) and I want some more bag pockets plus the straps start to annoy me after awhile. It's all about finding something that works for you. Similar to boots, bows, shotguns, etc

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I would not consider MR cheap. I have no experience with their packs, so this is only coming at it from a money perspective.

If they are true equals in fit and function for you, of course go with the cheaper one. If you think you will replace it in 2 years, go with the cheaper one.

If you plan to use this for the next ten years, paying $20 a year for a better experience should be an easy decision. If it turns out that an Exo, SO, SG, or Kifaru does not work for you, you will probably lose less money when you move to another system. MR is not really cheap and for me, once I'm spending MR level money I want a lot from the product and less than a 50% increase in cost is a smaller concern.

Now, the over 300% increase of moving from my Ziess Conquest binoculars to a pair of Swaro NL Pure is where I see an increase in cost that gets wieghted heavily in the decision.

OP
Huntingfarandwide
Confession time. All of the people that replied to this post with Kifaru....I have spent the last few days going through their website and letting my imagination run wild. There seems to be endless possibilities with their product line...... and I have to admit if I were to invest in an "Expensive Pack System".....Kifaru looks to be well worth the money.

All personal preference.
One thing that rings pretty true though...

"Can't complain about creating American jobs, if you never buy American made."

Seek Outside, Kifaru, Exo, and Stone Glacier
Three USA made. High quality products. Will pay a little extra if it helps out here. Especially during these times.
This.
And I'm not even American ffs, (I'm the Anglo the wife's the American).

Made in England, (or Great Britain)
And
Made in America still means something to me.
Perhaps both countries wouldn't be such a sh*t show if it still meant something to everyone else also.

It's pathetically tragic how little most people consider this.

I went with Kifaru personally having always ran Berghaus military packs or OMM day bags previously. Both of which used to be made in England but are now shamefully made in China.

*zap*

WKR
just buy a used $600 pack for $350....

really your body type/back profile has a lot to do with what frame will be 'best' for you. Then you need time/learning curve to fit it 'to you'.

back profile/frame fit is #1 consideration for choice of pack frame. Then you have frames with aluminum stays which can be 'customized'..... if price point is a big consideration then just buy used gear, plenty of good used gear for sale on here.....I have purchased it and know that for a fact since for me $/price is a big consideration.

Good luck.

OP
Huntingfarandwide
OK.....fast forward to today...

Bought a Metcalf on here that was practically unused...nice pack although a little wonky in the lid to pack attachment...but will work for me hopefully this year carrying a spike camp in from base. It will also fit my son who tried it on the last time he visited.....looks like it will be gifted.

I also bought a newish Kifaru frame and belt here to try and it is very nice and comfortable...no bag yet for I am not switching over until next season when my son will hunt with me....not letting him see this one...not on the gift list.

Hardly_Hangin

Lil-Rokslider
I did the same thing, i went back to my old decision matrix template from engineering school and graded 8 or 9 different packs from different mfg. I was leaning towards a MR metcalf - then i found out SG and Kifaru were the only that had frames for people with curved backs.

jd1006

WKR
I honestly think it comes down to preference. You don‘t know you have an uncomfortable pack until you have a pack that fits…most expect it to be painful to haul weight. Once you’ve tried them out and adjusted them, learned how to pack the weight, it’s a major difference. And if that means I can get places and pack out of places others won’t dare, I’m going to be more successful. This all assumes that you are doing the things that don’t cost money (get in shape, train for backpacking, learn how to use the gear) before you make an investment in one of these more expensive pack systems. If you are out of shape…go buy a cheaper pack…a more expensive one isn’t going to make up for your own limitations.

Stalker69

WKR
I look at it as, as that is only 2 tanks of gas difference, 100.00 dont go as far these days. But only you can decide if 250.00 is worth it.