Expensive Packs

You will never "wrap your head around it" and your hesitation is something all of us have done at one time or another. Then we finally decided to pull the trigger and step up. Once done, upgrading to a $1200 - $1800 pack made sense. The difference is life altering. You feel less weight and add miles to your range. But until you get one and have it properly adjusted to your body, you will never grasp the difference. I have two Kifaru packs that collectively are worth over $3K. My other packs are crap by comparison...I now call em "loaners."

Last edited:

ElkNut1

WKR
I've used nearly all top rated packs, EXO gets the ElkNut Teams vote 100%. Nothing beats them! Some may say otherwise but they don't seriously see the use ours get for light to super heavy loads. With over a 100 packouts as a team we wouldn't trade ours for anything! Good Luck!

ElkNut

87TT

WKR
Does Exo not carry weight very good?
Very well. but once you do try it .you won't go back or be happy with something else. But if you never try it you won't know any better.

Last edited:

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Does Exo not carry weight very good?
Mine hauls 120 + loads for 8 + mountain miles without issue. My legs set the load limit, not the pack with my Exo. The Exo is also very comfortable with less than 20 pounds.

I'm not sure what pack I will be upgrading to but for me I am looking at reducing weight, I currently use the eberlestock just one pack. It carries weight just fine but empty without any add on weighs 7 pounds 8oz. Now I am not chasing ounces, but upgrading my starter back packing gear. My 4 season 2P tent with upgraded stakes weighs almost 9 pounds, I have upgraded to a 3 season 2P that weighs just over thee pounds, so if I can shave another 3lb's or more off my pack, I could be looking at saving close to 10lbs with those two items.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I'm not sure what pack I will be upgrading to but for me I am looking at reducing weight, I currently use the eberlestock just one pack. It carries weight just fine but empty without any add on weighs 7 pounds 8oz. Now I am not chasing ounces, but upgrading my starter back packing gear. My 4 season 2P tent with upgraded stakes weighs almost 9 pounds, I have upgraded to a 3 season 2P that weighs just over thee pounds, so if I can shave another 3lb's or more off my pack, I could be looking at saving close to 10lbs with those two items.
Off the top of my head, the only pack that will get you to sub 5 pounds and still haul heavy loads well is a Seek Outside. An Exo will get you about 2 pounds lighter depending on the size.

Congrats on the gear upgrades. It was really fun when I first upgraded my shelter, sleep system, pack, and cook system and shaved about 15 pounds. Now, other than just leaving things at home, shaving ounces is expensive and some times involves compromises in function that are not worth it.

It takes me 4 trips to get a bull elk off the mountain and every trip sucks.

I don't know if the terraframe packs any better or worse than others but I know if I'm enduring the suck for 4 loads and know that it could suck less for $250, i'm going to wish I would have spent the $.