Experience with .375 Ruger?

ldmay375

FNG
Anyone have thoughts on a .375 Ruger? Toying with the idea of an African hunt and it sounds like a good caliber. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!
I am a big fan of the cartridge. One of my favorite rifles is a 20" barrel Ruger Alaskan with a McMillan stock. I have been very pleased with using the 270 grain TSX bullet on moose. Though, I have recently loaded some of the 270 grain LRX bullets.

ldmay375

FNG
As to factory ammunition:
Hornady, DoubleTap, Buffalo Bore, Choice, Nosler, Swift, and Hendershot's load the 375 Ruger. There may be others.

I have a 375 Ruger Brush Hunter. It's one of only two rifles I carry in Alaska - the other is my lightweight sheep/goat rifle. It shoots very smooth and it doesn't beat me up nearly as much as some people make them sound. Knocked down a couple grizz and a few moose with it so far (as well as black bear and caribou while carrying it for larger game). It makes them all dead and they don't go far. It shoots factory Hornady ammo in consistent groups at distances much further than I would shoot a grizz or moose.

Tikatack

FNG
I have a 375 Ruger Brush Hunter. It's one of only two rifles I carry in Alaska - the other is my lightweight sheep/goat rifle. It shoots very smooth and it doesn't beat me up nearly as much as some people make them sound. Knocked down a couple grizz and a few moose with it so far (as well as black bear and caribou while carrying it for larger game). It makes them all dead and they don't go far. It shoots factory Hornady ammo in consistent groups at distances much further than I would shoot a grizz or moose.
Is anyone hand loading, and if so, what seems to work?

BDWMT

FNG
RL17 has been a great powder for me in that 250-300 gr bullet range. Less pressure and slightly better velocity than RL15 which is what recommended heavily. 81 gr of RL17 under a Barnes 270 TSX gives me 2848 fps and slightly over half MOA accuracy.

Tikatack

FNG
RL17 has been a great powder for me in that 250-300 gr bullet range. Less pressure and slightly better velocity than RL15 which is what recommended heavily. 81 gr of RL17 under a Barnes 270 TSX gives me 2848 fps and slightly over half MOA accuracy.
Have you had any success with Hornady? I have a bunch of factory loads and was thinking of sticking with the same bullets for reloading.

ldmay375

FNG
I use H380, 270 grain TSX & LRX. Near to and max loads as listed in their manual and online data. I have been satisfied with the velocity and accuracy. So, I have never experimented any further.

Last edited:
A good friend of mine guided for decades in Alaska. He started with an 8mm REM and quickly moved up to a 375 H&H. He said that one rifle was all he’d ever carry in Alaska. With the Ruger being a ballistic twin, I don’t think you can go wrong.

I built a 338/375 Ruger improved a couple months ago. No experience yet, but the cartridge feeds well and fits great in an old 338 Min Mag action.

gerry35

WKR
My friends use RL 15, one with 260 gr Partition's and the other with the 260 gr Accubonds. I had one too and it did ok with RL 15 but really did well with Big Game using the 260 and 300 gr Accubond and 270 gr TSX. I f I ever get another one I would be looking at the different 250 gr mono bullets and use the 250 gr Sierra and 260 gr Accubond as well. No need in BC to go heavier than 250-260 gr which you can get it up to 2750 fps easily and as much as 2900 fps if you like.