Experience with Barrett Fieldcraft?

Supertrucker

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a Barrett Fieldcraft and Kimber Montana in 6.5 Creedmoor. They both shot the same accuracy wise. I bought the Fieldcraft without having handled one. I like the angle of the grip on the Montana over the Fieldcraft.

Supertrucker

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for a light weight packing rifle under 6.5lbs, how does this compare to Christensen Arms Ridgeline? I understand the Ridgeline weighs 1.1 pounds heavier but other than that what are the opinions out there of the two?

Have you handled the Kimber Montana?. Under 6.5# scoped.

OXN939

WKR
Mine is exceptionally accurate for such a light rifle. It feeds and functions as it should and the trigger is great....6CM

Okay so to throw a wrench in this whole thing... anyone got any experience with the Bergara Premier Mountain series? Looks very similarly done to the Fieldcraft, and Bergara seems to be a brand that almost universally hits home runs. Someone help me figure out how to part with my money on this, Black Friday deals welcome

zog

Lil-Rokslider
Is there a better lightweight rifle option?

For twice the price, I'm sure drooling over the Weatherby backcountry Titanium. I don't have $3400 burning a hole in my pocket, but I'm looking for feedback; I am going to do a search and maybe start another thread if I can't find anything. I'm fascinated with titanium construction, but my bank account isn't. Kimber and Barrett are already premium grade.

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
For twice the price, I'm sure drooling over the Weatherby backcountry Titanium. I don't have $3400 burning a hole in my pocket, but I'm looking for feedback; I am going to do a search and maybe start another thread if I can't find anything. I'm fascinated with titanium construction, but my bank account isn't. Kimber and Barrett are already premium grade.

There is a nice Titanium .260 Rem 700 on Gbroker right now

My 6.5 Creedmoor Fieldcraft arrived last night. Weighs 5 pounds 3 oz. Beautiful rifle. LOP feels perfect for me with this rifle (even though a 1/4" more than my two Rem 700s). Haven't scoped it, so no opinion on cheek weld yet. Does feel like I am looking down on the barrel a bit, but we'll see how things are after I get the SWFA 6x42 on there. Super happy so far.

20191204_111433.jpg

Last edited:

SDHNTR

WKR
I wanted one. I too didn’t like the stock. Instead I bought a bare 700 action, Micky Edge, timney trigger and a pac nor barrel. Was into it for about the same money and got to build it the way I wanted. Very pleased. Weighs 5.7 lbs.

zog

Lil-Rokslider
What is it with me and actions . . .

For those with 6.5 crd - How well does yours empty live rounds?

I was excited to get my Fieldcraft 6.5 crd two weeks ago.

BUT the un-spent shells will not eject properly. They jam at the back of the casing.

See in my photo how the round is stuck on the casing rim below it - it sticks hard enough that I have to tug on it. About 2 out of 10 are fine, 3-4 out of 10 don't eject but are loose enough to dump out, and about 4-5 out of 10 get stuck so hard I have to pull it out.

The last round, with nothing below it, ejects fine every time.

Barrett confirmed over the phone that others are having the same issue, so mine is back there now being modified. Apparently they are going to cut a notch to allow the point to escape easier.

There are enough others with the same problem that the tech associate (who was great!) knew just what I was talking about, almost finishing some of my sentences.

They told me that this is only in the 6.5 crd. They also told me that they started making the above mentioned modification as standard practice from the factory in October. Mine was made in September, so I guess just missed it!!

They say that customers are only having issues ejecting live 6.5 crd rounds; empties are ejecting just fine. I don't know about ejecting empties because I sent it back before shooting it in case I don't want to keep it. When you have to cycle the mag to empty it, ejecting live rounds is not an ignorable issue.

Customer service is excellent - too bad they need it.

I probably won't have mine back until 2020.

Anybody else?

Attachments

Last edited:

prm

WKR
Mine does the same thing. I had forgotten about it. Empties cycle fine.

Yes, it does look like our cuts might be different. Without a scope everything flies free, full or empty cartridge, one or 4 rounds in the magazine well.

I installed my SWFA 6x42 today. If I eject a live round very quickly, it will bounce the tip off of my windage dial and sometimes just hang there instead of flying free. If I just eject with a smooth easy pull it flies free every time. Fast and smooth is fine, but slamming hard back is not.

Full up she weighs 6 lbs 14 oz. Empty weight is 6 lb 11 oz. Happy to have the little fixed scope on there. It holds zero and dials as well or better than $2000+ scopes and weighs less than many. It cost me $199 during the Black Friday sale at SWFA (still available).

20191205_150835.jpg

20191205_151936.jpg

20191205_152107.jpg

Range report from my first time shooting this fine little gun. Worked perfectly, with live or spent cartridges. I only tried three ammo brands so far. Fed. 140 Accubond, Hornady 140 ELD-M, and live cycle only Hornady 129 SST.

Last edited:

zog

Lil-Rokslider
OK I got my Fieldcraft back today! Cycles live and spent shells just fine now.

Shipped to Barrett the day I received it, Nov 21. Got it back today Dec 13. Three week turnaround including Fed Ex both ways - not bad!

Before and After below. You can see they took some material out in the upper rear of the reciever.

I'm quite happy with Barrettt custormer service. AND that they recognized and adjusted their mfg processes. Definitely an advatange over the big ones like Berretta and Remington and FN, who would take years to adjust.

And as a bonus it weighs a few grams less now ;)

Barrett Reciever Rear BEFORE.jpgBarret Reciever Rear AFTER.jpg

Last edited:
That's excellent customer service, especially this time of year (hunting season, etc.). And they are all busy working on two new Gov contracts. Really happy to see this level of CS.

Funny thing. Mine isn't cut out like yours. But it does have significant chamfering around that bump that can on both our rifles.

20191205_113608.jpg

brsnow

WKR
Just looked at my never shot 6.5 CM and it looks like it will have an issue based on the pics. Is the special edition 24” jungle green with cerakote. Between this and feeding issues I had to correct on a kimber it is frustrating. Does anyone make a decent mountain rifle these days...

Grumman

WKR
If the fix is machining, I wonder how they will handle the Cerakote?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk