Experience with foot surgery?

Wacko

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting topic and points of view. I am also going to get foot surgery this month. I've torn my peroneal tendons completely free in my right foot. The surgery will entail reattaching them and cutting my heel bone and sliding it out - like a "kickstand". Doc says it will help keep me from re-injuring the foot. It will also help correct my "deformity"...lol

Doc said I really shouldn't be able to walk right now. I can, and I do. I could "deal with it" for quite a while I'm sure. However, I can feel my foot deforming as one side gets stronger because everything is attached. Long term it will make it worse, IMHO.

This will be my 4th major surgery. I'll be 55 this year and don't want to try and recover any later in life from it. I can say my other 3 surgeries "fixed" the issues. The thing to remember is you will no longer be "original equipment". Set your expectations to that point. You will recover to a new normal. I have nerve damage, pain, and all kinds of crap still. HOWEVER, I have been able to "deal with it" much easier because the problems were "fixed". I'd do them again.

Bourbon helps too.....!!

gbflyer

WKR
I'd try and see an orthopedist who specializes in hands and feet. Not that anything the podiatrist said sounds out of line, but I have my biases. Knowing immediately how they'd approach you based on their findings sometimes gives the impression they're being cavalier, but it's often a sign that they know what they're doing.

What some of these guys can do to repair bones is insanely impressive. If it needs to happen eventually, the sooner the better. But do your diligence in picking a surgeon first.

You’ve said it much nicer than I can.

Gileguy

FNG
After a year of nasty pain & Doctors I tried a chiropractor. Amazing as it sounds, two 10 minute adjustments and everything stayed where it was supposed to. It's been a year of pain free hunting, cost was 2 $40 treatments. Might be worth a try before doing a surgery.....

JohnIrish

FNG
GETERDONE! Well... most of the comments have been negative or ask you to try other solutions. Life is too short to be in pain. I had a tailor's bunion (bump on side of foot)... that made it hurt to hike or get shoes to fit. I had surgery to correct it.. not completely gone not it is so much better. I am very happy I had the surgery.

I agree with 2nd opinion. It sounds like something they can fix so get it fixed. Just expect it to take longer than anticipated. I dont know why people struggle with pain for years before finally get a surgery... then say.. I wish I would have done that earlier! The sooner you get it fixed the sooner your life will get back to normal.

KClark

WKR
Second toe capsulitis here. Knot the size of a grape at the first joint of the second toe was wearing a hole through my insoles with moderate pain. Sounds just like what you are describing. Reluctantly went to a podiatrist and he xrayed and then recommended starting with a metatarsal cookie in my current insole, if that didn't do the trick some $900 inserts might and surgery was the last option. The cookies have worked great for over a year and so far I'm happy with them but if I wear shoes without them I feel it immediately.

I’d go to an orthopedic and get a second opinion. I’d look at one that big into Hematopoietic Stem.

WestMOhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting topic and points of view. I am also going to get foot surgery this month. I've torn my peroneal tendons completely free in my right foot. The surgery will entail reattaching them and cutting my heel bone and sliding it out - like a "kickstand". Doc says it will help keep me from re-injuring the foot. It will also help correct my "deformity"...lol

Doc said I really shouldn't be able to walk right now. I can, and I do. I could "deal with it" for quite a while I'm sure. However, I can feel my foot deforming as one side gets stronger because everything is attached. Long term it will make it worse, IMHO.

This will be my 4th major surgery. I'll be 55 this year and don't want to try and recover any later in life from it. I can say my other 3 surgeries "fixed" the issues. The thing to remember is you will no longer be "original equipment". Set your expectations to that point. You will recover to a new normal. I have nerve damage, pain, and all kinds of crap still. HOWEVER, I have been able to "deal with it" much easier because the problems were "fixed". I'd do them again.

Bourbon helps too.....

Bourbon helps too.....!!
I had to reread this post to see if I had written it and just forgot because... too much bourbon. Ha! Nope. But my story is similar. I was packing stands in to hang in steep terrain and tore both perineal tendons in my right foot/ankle. Had to crawl back to the truck, but was walking ok a few days later. I hunted the rest of the season and had surgery the following Feb. The doc stole tendon from my Achilles, cut off and wedged my heel then screwed back on (calcaneal osteotomy), then shortened the bone in my big toe. 18 months later and I was playing softball. If I have any regrets it’s that I didn’t do much physical therapy and should have gotten some sort of insert to balance my “new” stance. It’s put strain on my knee, and my lower back is jacked up way worse than it used to be. But I’m still able to do about anything. Good luck!

When it comes to anything relating to health, I want the best.
I'd go to an orthopedist for everything.

ROJO23

FNG
i have had foot pain most of my life. in 2018, it got so bad that I decided to go to a podiatrist to get some custom made insoles. i figured that would solve my issues. After looking at the xray he said that insoles would not correct my issues, and I would need foot surgery. i thought the guy had lost his mind considering what he was telling me needed to be done. we have a friend that is a retired podiatrist and just spoke with her over the phone with the dr. findings. She recommended a 2nd opinion with an orthopedic surgeon.

I met with the ortho dr and he recommended that exact same procedures as the podiatrist. I felt more comfortable with the ortho dr doing the surgery so I had it completed in Nov. of 2018
calcaneal osteotomy (my heal bone with cut off and repositioned to where it was supposed to be)
1st metatarsal osteotomy (my big toe bone at the top of my foot was cut and repositioned downward to lower my arch)
peroneal tendon repair and transfer (my tendon was torn and had to be repaired)

The only regret I have is waiting so long to get this done. The recovery time was about 5-6 months, 6 weeks in a hard cast, 3 weeks in a boot. 4 trips to the physical therapist.

I had my other foot repaired on Jan 21, the same surgery except my tendon was not damaged. The bone the tendon was attached to was broken, so the dr removed the broken portion and added an anchor and sutured the tendon to this anchor.

1612655410753.png1612655449306.png

Attachments

• 1612655437247.png
    1612655437247.png
    176.8 KB · Views: 3