Experience with H-S Precision Detachable Mag Conversion Kit (Rem 700)?

jbwright

WKR
Does anyone have experience with outfitting the H-S Detachable Mag conversion kit on their Remington 700? I was about to get the Badger Ordnance Detachable Mag (M5) trigger guard and have to go the route of getting a new stock (probably H-S or Mcmillan), but it looks like this kit would convert over on my Rem 700 just fine. I'm curious to know if anyone has made this conversion, if you had any issues, or any other commentary to consider before making the conversion.

I shoot a .308 Rem 700 SPS tactical (bull barrell) and have really gotten used to this rifle. I do a lot of whitetail hunting, have a muley hunt planned this fall (2022), and spend quite a bit of time at the range with it. I absolutely love shooting this rifle (had it for almost 15 yrs) and have become somewhat proficient with it...just the dang hinged floor plate (that's admittedly more of 1st world problem) is kind of a pain in the field. I'd really like a detachable mag and this seems like it'd work...https://hsprecision.com/product/remington-700-detachable-magazine-conversion-kits/

Thanks a ton for any insight!

OP
J

jbwright

WKR
@manitou1 I know HS stuff is carried at other places online (red hawk, brownells to name a couple). You may have luck at one of those places, depending on which caliber you shoot (long or short action). I confirmed w/HS the lead time is in fact 5-8 mos at this point...all due to the trigger assembly. Hope that helps.

FLS

WKR
I’ve got one in a 700 5R thats in an HS stock. Same footprint as a BDL so it’s an easy upgrade. Mags feed well, snap in securely and don’t rattle. Mags are expensive though.

B23

WKR
I have five HS Prec det. mag setups in both SA and LA Rem 700 semi custom builds (20-222, 223AI, 20-250, 224 Terminator, and 7mm Blaser Mag) and they all have been great. They feed very slick, are quiet, snap in to place good and tight, and they barely stick out the bottom and aren't very noticeable. My 20-222 has a pretty conventional look and most people don't even notice it's a detachable mag setup.
20-222 (2).jpg

OP
J

jbwright

WKR
I have five HS Prec det. mag setups in both SA and LA Rem 700 semi custom builds (20-222, 223AI, 20-250, 224 Terminator, and 7mm Blaser Mag) and they all have been great. They feed very slick, are quiet, snap in to place good and tight, and they barely stick out the bottom and aren't very noticeable. My 20-222 has a pretty conventional look and most people don't even notice it's a detachable mag setup.
View attachment 374721
Thanks for the info here. I just got mine installed on the above rifle. I’d give the install “easiness” an A-. I had some minor trouble getting the DBM’s (both 5/10 rd) to feed correctly on the first go round (meaning they would not get passed the notch to lock them into place). However that turned out to not be an issue.

I took the lower metals out, Inspected everything to evaluate where the mags were getting hung up, reinstalled, and no issues at all. I will say the mags seem to be high quality and made to spec, so they’re just going to take some time cycling in and out. I think taking the metals in and out a few times helped it get seated correctly. But again, no inletting to the stock was needed.

Overall, very pleased. Definitely a good fit, but gotta make sure the bolts line up well, and make sure there wasn’t going to be any collateral impacts to the setup/stock. No issues to report. Seems like it’ll take several cycles with the different mags (I bought 2 extra) to get it working right. Sometimes it just takes time to get it broken in, and this isn’t an exception. Also. If you have a wooden stock I imagine the install could be a little different.

If you have issues finding this setup send me a PM. Happy to tell you where I tracked my down, because as of now HS still has about a ~5 month wait.

Attachments

• 8998C713-FE37-44BC-B6EB-00A773CFD65D.jpeg
    8998C713-FE37-44BC-B6EB-00A773CFD65D.jpeg
    224 KB · Views: 10
  • 5AB1C079-E28E-4EE2-96F2-E611B99923BA.jpeg
    5AB1C079-E28E-4EE2-96F2-E611B99923BA.jpeg
    183.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 73361D36-28E2-43E5-BAE7-2CF4ACE24FBD.jpeg
    73361D36-28E2-43E5-BAE7-2CF4ACE24FBD.jpeg
    159.3 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Reactions: FLS
OP
J

jbwright

WKR
I’ve got one in a 700 5R thats in an HS stock. Same footprint as a BDL so it’s an easy upgrade. Mags feed well, snap in securely and don’t rattle. Mags are expensive though.
Yeah I think the only gripe is the mag cost, but they seem made to spec and pretty solid. I did notice HS’s gen 1 setup isn’t compatible with these mags. Something to be aware of for sure.

RHR280AC

FNG
I concur with StOutdoors with the ease of installation and what you get with the
HS Precision's quality. The magazines are built like a tank, and though "pricey",
will last a lifetime. Buy a couple extras and you will be Good To Go!

Finding this setup is not easy as they are as rare as hen's teeth but you will not
find a better looking and functioning setup. HSP also has a video on how to
adjust your magazine lips for proper feeding, should they need adjusting.

Hope this helps.

RHR280AC

FNG
806guns, you might could check Optics Planet. If they do not have the exact magazine
capacity option you are looking for, bear in mind that the magazines themselves are
readily available from RedHawk rifles and HS Precision directly, so that could be a viable
option for you.