Experience with Kowa BD II Binoculars?

BigWoods

WKR
I'm in the market for a new set of sub $450 8x42 binoculars. I've looked through both the Monarch 7 and Vortex Viper and really liked both. Both have a wide FOV, which would be a big asset in the thick woods of Northern New England.

One bino that has caught my attention is the Kowa BD II, which has a FOV of 429' at 1000yds. Has anyone looked through these? How do they compare with the above options in glass and mechanics?

The other options that I'm considering are the the Maven C.1 and the Monarch 5. On the Maven's it seems their glass is superb, but you loose a bit of FOV with them (340') - which might be worth saving some coin for. My eyes like the Monarch 5 (though not as much as the 7) and the FOV shrinks down a bit more (330').

OP
BigWoods

BigWoods

WKR
The new Kowa BD II are very impressive. Bright, sharp and wide angle. For the price they will be a big hit
Doug, the 6.5x32 version is somewhat intriguing for the conditions I hunt in with its super wide FOV. With nearly the same exit pupil as the 8x42 version, would they be about as bright? I hunt thick woods, but those thick woods get dark early.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Doug, the 6.5x32 version is somewhat intriguing for the conditions I hunt in with its super wide FOV. With nearly the same exit pupil as the 8x42 version, would they be about as bright? I hunt thick woods, but those thick woods get dark early.
Yes, they absolutely will be as bright. I am so confident that you'll love them that if you get them and do not agree, after testing them out, we will take them back :)

OP
BigWoods

BigWoods

WKR
Yes, they absolutely will be as bright. I am so confident that you'll love them that if you get them and do not agree, after testing them out, we will take them back :)

Thanks for the input! I'll definitely keep the Kowas and Camera Land on the short list once/if I get the Christmas $.

I have the Monarch 7 8x42 and also had the chance to compare them with the Kowa BDII-XD 8x42 recently and at the end I have decided to keep the Nikon.

I really tried to like the Kowa but the focus wheel was not comfortable at all and not very precise versus the Nikon. I don't know if I got a lemon, but I don't see how someone can enjoy using the Kowa after using the Monarch 7.

I have a set of vipers and have compared them to a buddies Maven C1s. Between those two I would take the C1s. No experience with the Kowas but I would be curious to see how they stacked up as well. I run their spotting scope and its a good scope, they make nice glass.

VernAK

WKR
Doug steered me toward the new Kowas last month as I was looking for a set of "truck binos". Thus far, I'm impressed although I haven't compared em next to my $2K European binos. These will ride on the dash or the boat seats so they won't get much TLC. Less than $400!

I have the Monarch 7 8x42 and also had the chance to compare them with the Kowa BDII-XD 8x42 recently and at the end I have decided to keep the Nikon.

I really tried to like the Kowa but the focus wheel was not comfortable at all and not very precise versus the Nikon. I don't know if I got a lemon, but I don't see how someone can enjoy using the Kowa after using the Monarch 7.
That's a little disappointing to hear, but I'm not all that surprised. The M7 x42's have been one of the most underrated binocular I can think of. Everyone I know who has a pair loves them and isn't looking for their next pair.

Michael54

WKR

What was it about the focus wheel you didn't like? I've been considering buying a pair of 10x42s

It's not uncommon in chinese-made bins to have stiff or sloppy focus wheels with backlash. In fact, I'd say it's the norm rather than the exception. That is literally the ONLY issue I have with my wife's 8x42 Legend M's. Otherwise, they are incredible binoculars. The focus wheel slop doesn't bother my wife, so it doesn't bother me. LOL

When I come across a chinese made bin with a good focus wheel, it's usually made by Nikon or Maven.

OP
BigWoods

BigWoods

WKR
I really appreciate the feedback on the focus wheel precision. It sounds like the Kowas are optically really good, but I think that imprecision would bother me. My current old Burris Fullfields are very spoungy. One of the things that has stood out on the M7 bins is just how precise they focus...which I could see being a big plus when trying to slice through layers of dense timber.

The M7's are one of the few examples of really well MIC optics. Nikon's quality control is first rate. A sloppy focus wheel disqualifies any pair of binoculars for me, regardless of the optics. I've returned so many pairs of MIC bins for that reason, I've lost count.

For whatever reason, I have never had a sloppy focus wheel on any MIJ or MIP bins, ever. The focus wheel on my current Cabelas Outfitter HD 8x42's (MIJ) is one of the finest I've ever used, and that's a big reason I still use them.

What was it about the focus wheel you didn't like? I've been considering buying a pair of 10x42s

The focus wheel of the Kowa that I got was sloppy and also not comfortable to touch because of the aluminium pins. You should try to find a store where you can hold the Kowa in your hands before buying them.

targetpanic

Lil-Rokslider
For out west I use a set of Swaro SLC 10X42 in a Kuiu Harness. For treestand bowhunting in Mass in thicker woods I use a set of Brunton Eterna 8x45 on a crooked horn type harness...once I head to Maine tracking/stillhunting I find the 8X45 to be too big and heavy and rarely use them. I am currently looking to replace them with a quality lightweight set of 8X32 worn on a Rick Young or crooked horn type harness.

OP
BigWoods

BigWoods

WKR
For out west I use a set of Swaro SLC 10X42 in a Kuiu Harness. For treestand bowhunting in Mass in thicker woods I use a set of Brunton Eterna 8x45 on a crooked horn type harness...once I head to Maine tracking/stillhunting I find the 8X45 to be too big and heavy and rarely use them. I am currently looking to replace them with a quality lightweight set of 8X32 worn on a Rick Young or crooked horn type harness.

I appreciate the use incite for the region! For me, I've found that any bino when tracking in upper New England is too bulky and pretty much doesn't get used...I carry my 4x rangefinder to use as a monocular if I need to check something out more closely. The Binos would primarily be used for tree stand archery/ occasional rifle sits as well as the occasions where we don't have snow in November (a rarity in these parts!). The lighter 8x32's are intriguing, but I don't want to loose the light gather ability of the bigger objective.