Experience with the Athlon Ares BTR Gen 2 4.5-27?

FlyingScot

Lil-Rokslider
Didn't get too many responses on LRH, so figure I'll try here as well. Currently awaiting the arrival of a .300 wm Havak PH2 that was too good a deal to pass up, and while my initial thought was to save a little and repurpose an older 6-24x50 gen 1 Viper PST that I have in the safe, it's not a scope I particularly love, and I find myself wanting to give an FFP optic a try. Does anyone on here have experience with the gen 2 Ares 4.5-27x50 and like it, or are there better options in the at-or-just-under $1k price range?

X-file

Lil-Rokslider
Here’s my opinion from someone that may not be as experienced as others. It is a great scope. I picked mine up on a close out sale at scheels for $600 so for the money paid I couldn’t be happier. To my eyes the glass is better than the viper series, I like the turrets on it and it tracks well. That said I also picked up a bushnell LRTS from camera land and hands down is a better scope that the Athlon. I like the reticle, turrets and glass much better. To my eyes that bushnell elite glass is a lot of glass for the money.

Another one to look at would be the older Cronus series that camera land has on sale as well. Might be a couple hundred more but if it is an upgrade over the btr then is should be worth every penny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Djacker

WKR
I have a Athlon ares ETR 3-18 coming soon which is right at $999. I can compare it to a PST gen 2 once I get it, if that's something your interested in.

OP
FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Lil-Rokslider
Here’s my opinion from someone that may not be as experienced as others. It is a great scope. I picked mine up on a close out sale at scheels for $600 so for the money paid I couldn’t be happier. To my eyes the glass is better than the viper series, I like the turrets on it and it tracks well. That said I also picked up a bushnell LRTS from camera land and hands down is a better scope that the Athlon. I like the reticle, turrets and glass much better. To my eyes that bushnell elite glass is a lot of glass for the money.

Another one to look at would be the older Cronus series that camera land has on sale as well. Might be a couple hundred more but if it is an upgrade over the btr then is should be worth every penny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the feedback! Is this the scope you're referring to from cameraland?

ETA: Dang, came across one of Doug's posts on the Hide about the Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale from last year they had on Athlon optics, Ares BTR 4.5-27x50 for $765 and Cronus BTR 4.5-29x56 for $1,144. Shame I wasn't looking for a scope three months ago!

Last edited:
OP
FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Athlon ares ETR 3-18 coming soon which is right at $999. I can compare it to a PST gen 2 once I get it, if that's something your interested in.
I'd certainly love to hear your thoughts on it since its the logical price point alternative. I wouldn't mind stepping up to a 34mm tube if the higher mag ETR wasn't so damn heavy.

X-file

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the feedback! Is this the scope you're referring to from cameraland?

ETA: Dang, came across one of Doug's posts on the Hide about the Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale from last year they had on Athlon optics, Ares BTR 4.5-27x50 for $765 and Cronus BTR 4.5-29x56 for $1,144. Shame I wasn't looking for a scope three months ago!

Yes, that was the one I was referring to. It might not hurt to call Doug and discuss options too. He may have better options and so far his word has been spot on for me with optics.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk