Experienced advice needed

Hi,

I'm in the market to purchase my first spotting scope for hunting deer and elk in NW Oregon. I've narrowed it down to the Vortex Viper HD 15-45x65 or the Vortex Razor (Gen 1) 16-48x65. Any thoughts, or advice is greatly appreciated. Also, any thoughts on a tripod setup would be appreciated, as well. Lastly, I realize that I can only get the razor with an angled objective, but the viper is available in either angled, or straight. If given the choice, what would be the recommendation for an individual new to spotting scopes? Thanks for the help!!

I will jump in on the tripod. Depending on your use the 2 best bets are the Promaster XC525C that has been very popular here. It's designed to go in a back pack, folds to 15.75" and weighs 2lbs 12 oz. Carbon fiber, ball head lifetime no fault warranty. Regular price $299.99, only $199.99 right now. For $60 you can add the SPVH fluid head, normally $89.99

The second would be the Sirui Outdoorsman N1204SKVA5. A slightly more robust tripod with a VA5 fluid head. Normally $499.99, we have 20% off through Saturday, down to $399.99 and you get $100 back from Sirui
I am here today until 5:30 and tomorrow from 9-6

Thanks

Razor no doubt. I would consider looking at the Athlon Ares 65mm. I actually just received one to compare with my current Vortex Viper. Not sure if your interested in what I find.

Gary58

FNG
I have the Razor 65mm Gen 1 and had an Athlon 65mm at one point. The Athlon is a nice scope and seemed to work as well for me as the Vortex. Nice price point too. The only negative on the Athlon, I believe it does not have interchangeable eyepieces.

I have the vortex razor 16-48 x65 spotter and think it's great! However I have not compared it to anything else except for some super cheap spotters. As for the tripod I have the Promaster xc525c from camera land. After calling them they sold me on the fluid head as well, this whole setup is awesome for me and I'm in it for less than $800.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Thanks for the shout out

We still have that tripod, Promaster XC525C with both the ball head and the fluid head, Promaster SPCH20, on special for $259.99, reduced from $389.99

Thanks

If it were me, I'd go check out some other spotters while you're at it. Vortex main selling point is their warranty - me and other members can attest to the fact that you will use that warranty... and let that sink in, they're selling you a warranty. Not glass, not reliability - a warranty. You can get as good/better glass for the same price with an equivalent warranty from another manufacturer.

Not trying to come in and crap on your choices - I wish someone would've enlightened me when I bought my first spotter as well.

don't discount choosing a 12x or 15x binocular for the chores here in the great PNW - TWO eyes picking scenery apart are often better, a lot depends on YOUR eyes

I agree with an above poster that with Vortex a lot of what you are paying for is the bulletproof warranty. But that's not necessarily a bad thing. I own three Vortex Razor riflescopes, two pairs of Vortex binos, and a Viper spotting scope. None have ever needed warranty and I don't baby them. All three scopes passed my redneck tracking test with flying colors, which would be impressive even for Nightforce or Kahles.

Regarding Razor vs Viper, definitely Razor. I have the viper and although it does the job fine, when I look through my buddy's Razor it makes me jealous...

OP
neanderpaul420
Razor no doubt. I would consider looking at the Athlon Ares 65mm. I actually just received one to compare with my current Vortex Viper. Not sure if your interested in what I find.
Thanks idahohikker, I read your comparison. It's really hard to fathom that those 2 scores are comparable, especially given the size difference. You've def got me thinking, and reassessing. Much appreciated.

OP
neanderpaul420
don't discount choosing a 12x or 15x binocular for the chores here in the great PNW - TWO eyes picking scenery apart are often better, a lot depends on YOUR eyes
I hear you there, deerkiller! Your comment actually segues into a follow-up question I had. What are people take on digiscoping? Can you go out and sit for a few hours and glass effectively using a digiscope? It seems almost too good to be true. Just curious, what would you reco for higher power binos?

OP
neanderpaul420
If it were me, I'd go check out some other spotters while you're at it. Vortex main selling point is their warranty - me and other members can attest to the fact that you will use that warranty... and let that sink in, they're selling you a warranty. Not glass, not reliability - a warranty. You can get as good/better glass for the same price with an equivalent warranty from another manufacturer.

Not trying to come in and crap on your choices - I wish someone would've enlightened me when I bought my first spotter as well.
You are def not going to hurt my feelings, Jeff! You all have got me rethinking, and hell maybe even spending a bit less $$! What other companies would you reco, Jeff? Better yet, what do you own?

JBivens

FNG
Have you thought about 15x Bino and tripod? Or even 12x50's and tripod. I hunt some of your same areas, and often the distances don't seem to require a spotter like CO or Idaho.

OP
neanderpaul420
I agree with an above poster that with Vortex a lot of what you are paying for is the bulletproof warranty. But that's not necessarily a bad thing. I own three Vortex Razor riflescopes, two pairs of Vortex binos, and a Viper spotting scope. None have ever needed warranty and I don't baby them. All three scopes passed my redneck tracking test with flying colors, which would be impressive even for Nightforce or Kahles.

Regarding Razor vs Viper, definitely Razor. I have the viper and although it does the job fine, when I look through my buddy's Razor it makes me jealous...
Thanks for the input, paproctor8!
Have you thought about 15x Bino and tripod? Or even 12x50's and tripod. I hunt some of your same areas, and often the distances don't seem to require a spotter like CO or Idaho.
I am after reading all these responses? JBivins, do you have any recos for binocs? I'll def check out my options. Thanks for the response!

You are def not going to hurt my feelings, Jeff! You all have got me rethinking, and hell maybe even spending a bit less $$! What other companies would you reco, Jeff? Better yet, what do you own?

Me personally I own a Meopta/Cabelas Euro HD. Got it for steal out of the bargain cave, so cant complain there. I had a Vortex Viper before(as I had Vortex binoculars before). At some point in the future I will likely add a more compact spotter to the mix... it might be a Kowa, or I might just go cheap and find a used Nikon fieldscope.

It was when I started shopping around for a better pair of binoculars that I noticed that at nearly every price point there was better glass to be had from other manufacturers... and other manufacturers warranties are similar. I don't think many of them will cover your product if its burnt up in a house fire or some crap... but then again, thats what homeowners/renters insurance is for. You're going to find guys who have had no issues with them, but you're just as likely to find people who have(me included. viper spotter had to go back because fine focus stopped working, had a viper scope the parallax didn't work on)... and while I was lucky enough to experience these when it didn't matter, what are the chances you're on a hunt - money you've spent in gas and prep, PTO spent, etc only to need your VIP warranty? Thats not a risk I'm willing to take. This also isn't to say Vortex doesn't have decent glass either - its just overpriced(likely because of warranty) in my experience. Sorry for the long winded explanation - I just don't want you to think I'm blindly "hating" on something for no reason.

With that said, I'd do a search of everything in your price range and make an effort to check it out. That Ares looks pretty sweet for the price, and if it compares favorably to Razor(and it should considering that line is overpriced) you'd be looking at a pretty sweet deal... probably be even sweeter if you called that Doug guy. I have no affiliation with them for the record - I've only dealt with them once but they did me right.

I’ll second the 15x binos on a tripod. Spent some time in the early fall guiding some tech guys from one of the major optics companies on a pheasant hunt. We played with deer in the evening out to about 2000 yards. The 15 x gave plenty of resolution to find and evaluate bucks in the rocks and sage.

about "warranties" ….. a "bulletproof" warranty is great … until you are 15 miles from the rig on a pack in trip you've anticipated for a long time, weight restrictions denied a "back up" ANYTHING and there you sit with your focus ring or reticle or whatever broken ….. stuff breaks, no question but look at things OTHER than that "bulletproof warranty" if you ask me - I've done way more than my share of "out back" hunts in my time and Leupold, Leica and Zeiss have treated me so well - I've also watched others with Swarovski, Bushnell, Nikon, who never had a hitch - YOU might not either but then again …… I'd say go with the longevity proven companies when it's a make or break trip

about "warranties" ….. a "bulletproof" warranty is great … until you are 15 miles from the rig on a pack in trip you've anticipated for a long time, weight restrictions denied a "back up" ANYTHING and there you sit with your focus ring or reticle or whatever broken ….. stuff breaks, no question but look at things OTHER than that "bulletproof warranty" if you ask me - I've done way more than my share of "out back" hunts in my time and Leupold, Leica and Zeiss have treated me so well - I've also watched others with Swarovski, Bushnell, Nikon, who never had a hitch - YOU might not either but then again …… I'd say go with the longevity proven companies when it's a make or break trip

Yep. VIP warranty sounds great... they gonna reimburse my tag? flight? gas? call my boss and talk him into giving me more time off?

Sorry, I'd rather use something that doesn't have a reputation for breaking.

Not only that, if your optics go sailing over a cliff because you were a dumbass... well, thats not the manufacturers fault and it shouldn't be their responsibility.