Experienced Guide, without the frills?

jdoss

FNG
Hi All,

First post here. Thanks for all the information that I obtained from this site last year for my first Mule Deer trip.

I am putting together my second Mule Deer Hunt in Colorado this year, and was wondering if there was such a thing as finding a "guide" for a few days, without all the lodging, meals, and transportation included. My ideal hunt would be to come to the unit, have our own camp, (spike or wall tent), food, gear, etc. Then we would just meet up with the guide early in the mornings each hunt, or they make camp with us.

I know it might be a long shot or even unheard of, but just thought I would ask as I have not found anything searching the internet. This could also lead to you end up paying someone to walk you around the woods when they don't actually have any experience with what they are doing, or with the unit specifically.

We basically would be paying someone to learn the ropes from. Understand Mule Deer movement and habitat, while decreasing the learning curve. We have plenty of Whitetail experience, but pretty new to the Muley game.

Surely there are people out there who would charge for their expertise but don't have a lodge to put you up in?

Thanks for any feedback.

MattB

WKR
Never hunted CO and hope you get some good info.

Been on quite a few guided hunts and all included lodging and field transportation. Not just 1% of them.

Some outfitters are flexible in terms of the services they offer and you may find one who will provide a guide but not the food/lodging.

Last edited:

pirogue

WKR
I’ve been on a couple, that the outfitter reduced their price, for my furnishing my own tent and meals, and I drove to the campsite. It’s a cost an outfitter has to incur, whether they admit it or not. Not saying it is substantial, but if the outfitter will not negotiate it, I’d find another.

OP
J

jdoss

FNG
First off, your idea that a guided hunt in Colorado means transportation and a lodge, is laughable. That is not the case 99% of the time if you are hunting on public land.

Second, guides (usually someone in their early 20s) work for an outfitter, and an outfitter has to be licensed, bonded, and insured, which costs alot of money. Outfitters are also territorial and have permits for camps in certain units, etc. It would be illegal for you to just pay some random CO dude who knows how to hunt muleys to go hunting with you and show you the ropes, not to mention any local who knows how to hunt the nearby units doesn't want you there in the first place, and certainly isn't going to give the playbook to you for a little bit of cash.

Your best bet is to decide what unit you want to hunt, then search here for outfitters. https://coloradooutfitters.org/
Reach out to them and tell them what you are looking for.

You should hire an outfitter to help you learn what you are doing, and you should also drop any preconceived notions you have about what a guided hunt is, and keep an open mind.

Good luck
I appreciate the response. I figured they were out there, but considering that I was struggling to find any via online searching, I didn't think they were in such numbers (99%).

I understand that they need to be licensed and that also comes with compensation, and respect that they need to be paid for their time and expertise, as they should. I personally just want to have more skin in the game, and don't care to have someone set my tent up for me and field dress my game, and that's what I was having a hard time finding online. Therefore, I was looking for something more like what the guys below had described.

My mind is as open as they come and I understand that there are hunters ranging from completely roughing it and DIY all the way to staying in a fancy lodge with high success rates; and therefore a market to match each.

I appreciate the feedback and will look into the link you provided.

Traveler

WKR
Hi All,

First post here. Thanks for all the information that I obtained from this site last year for my first Mule Deer trip.

I am putting together my second Mule Deer Hunt in Colorado this year, and was wondering if there was such a thing as finding a "guide" for a few days, without all the lodging, meals, and transportation included. My ideal hunt would be to come to the unit, have our own camp, (spike or wall tent), food, gear, etc. Then we would just meet up with the guide early in the mornings each hunt, or they make camp with us.

I know it might be a long shot or even unheard of, but just thought I would ask as I have not found anything searching the internet. This could also lead to you end up paying someone to walk you around the woods when they don't actually have any experience with what they are doing, or with the unit specifically.

We basically would be paying someone to learn the ropes from. Understand Mule Deer movement and habitat, while decreasing the learning curve. We have plenty of Whitetail experience, but pretty new to the Muley game.

Surely there are people out there who would charge for their expertise but don't have a lodge to put you up in?

Thanks for any feedback.
Just use the outfitter list and start calling/emailing asking for options. I’d be surprised if there was a big price difference but never hurts to ask

MattB

WKR
Post up links to your outfitters you hunted with on Colorado public land (what I said) who put you in a lodge and pick you up at the airport. Would love to be educated.

Oh, that's right, you said you never hunted in Colorado....
I just spent 5 minutes on Google and found a few outfitters that conduct mule deer hunts in CO on public land that include transportation and lodging. Must have lucked into finding the websites of the 1% of them that do that.