Experiences with the 4000-6500ci Kifaru packs

NDGuy

WKR
Looking for feedback on the Hoodlum, Reckoning, 44mag, and Fulcrum bags specifically. I have the Stryker pack and Duplex frame already so looking to get something with a little more room for longer or colder hunts.

sram9102

WKR
I made the switch from the stryker to a reckoning. With basically the same load in each one the reckoning seems to carry the weight better to me. With a full 65L dry sack it felt like the strkyer was sticking out 3 feet off my back. With how well the mid size bags compress I didn't feel like I was gaining much using the stryker.

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR
I made the switch from the stryker to a reckoning. With basically the same load in each one the reckoning seems to carry the weight better to me. With a full 65L dry sack it felt like the strkyer was sticking out 3 feet off my back. With how well the mid size bags compress I didn't feel like I was gaining much using the stryker.
Does the Reckoning carry weapons well? Or are they floppy due to the strap position?

well_known_rokslider

Lil-Rokslider
I originally had a Woodsman but wanted a little more room so I picked up a used Reckoning. The pack is great. I have not taken it on a multi-day hunt yet but it easily has the room for it. I have used it for day hunts on an elk hunt last year and I can confirm that it functions just fine in this role as well. Just cinch all the straps down and you're good to go.

While simply adding a stuff sack would be affordable option, having everything accessible without having to take apart part of the pack is very nice. Hoodlum obviously has a little more room but the simplicity of the Reck is what i was looking for. Plus the top open side pouches work great for easy to access poles and other things.

sram9102

WKR
Does the Reckoning carry weapons well? Or are they floppy due to the strap position?
I have an xlr folder so I can put the whole thing in the bag hiking in or out if day hunting. The straps work for holding a rifle. I tend to loop the straps around the gun before cinching them down.

I have also attached a belt pouch to the bottom to get a little more secure when hauling the shotgun around turkey hunting.

Attachments

• 20210421_081949.jpg
    20210421_081949.jpg
    400.7 KB · Views: 100
I always thought I was a small pack and camp bag guy.....and sometimes I still am but not as much since I got my 44 mag....I can put everything in the bag and once camp is set cinch in down for day use. I really like the way the bag lays out and how you can access the interior.....I always take too much but there always seems to be plenty of room.

My last three Elk hunts: 44mag, Reckoning, Stryker XL…….now I have a Hoodlum and I kept the Stryker. I honestly could be happy with any of them - I like each of them for different reasons - I think the Hoodlum will be my favorite……but from what I’ve used - the 44 was my favorite full bag and the easiest to load. Reckoning is second and easy to load, I like the independent straps a lot but I didn’t love the open side pockets, Stryker was great after camp was set - the 5 miles to camp I felt a little like a turtle but it wasn’t uncomfortable. You can’t go wrong with whatever you choose.

WVTrooper

Lil-Rokslider
With the exception of the Fulcrum, I’ve used them all. I currently have the Hoodlum. It is my favorite thus far. My first dive into Kifaru was with the Tahr and then I went to the Reckoning. Loved the full length center zip and the compression system made it easy to attach a bow It cinched down like you didn’t know it was there. However, I didn’t care for the open side pockets. Even with the bag cinched down, they would fill up with debris, leaves/pine needles etc. When the Hoodlum came out, I picked one up. Not a full length zip but the side pockets were enclosed. It also has a few more CI than the Reckoning but it too cinches flat. I didn’t care for the compression straps for attaching a bow, but that was easily remedied by using an extra compression strap kit which I always carried. When the 44 mag was released I thought I’d give it a try as I like to be organized. It was a good bag, loved the panel zip which gave easy access, but for some reason I didn’t care for the pockets on the top. Maybe I just put too much crap up there. I also favored having more room in case I needed it. For my needs, the Hoodlum is the happy medium for everything. Big enough to do several days in warm weather and cinches tight for day hunts, but also gives me that extra room for layers/gear on a colder hunt. I usually add a lid or belt pouches just so I can keep some items handy.

Shraggs

WKR
Super easy to attach gun or bow to reckoning even without a grab it. Just put pocket under zipper, gun butt goes in there and use the compression straps. Easy to stay off scope with 3 of them.

I think I’m the only one who likes the open pockets - is so easy to get stuff, just reach in. I like the debris in the pockets, means I worked for it even tho no kill!

Thank you all I checked and saw the Reckoning was on sale and pulled the trigger. I will try it out worst case won't lose much if anything on it.
I couldn’t decide either and did the same thing and am very happy with the reckoning. Very versatile pack. Tons of room and cinches down small. Worked great for a 4 day hunt with room to spare and I liked it for a day elk pack too. Packed more meat than I ever have and it handled it like a champ. I got a few pockets, bottle holder and the organizer lid and like how easy it is to add or remove everything depending on the trip. I use the gun bearer which I have for other packs before this one and really like it. The compression strap system on it is very cool and allows you to move where they’re anchored quickly and easily so it’d be easy to configure it to strap a rifle or bow outside the pack. I saw on a video where they suggested using one of their pockets in the rear middle of the pack and putting the butt of the stock in it and using the Compression straps to secure it. I would imagine this would also work for a bow so it doesn’t work it’s way down.

Marble

WKR
I've been using the cavern since 2018 and a 44 mag since 2019?

I prefer the cavern since it has more room, but i like the organization of the 44 mag.

There are some guys that have told me I'm crazy for carrying such a large pack around, either day pack mode or on a multi-day trip. But these are the same guys that can't handle solo backpacking and being uncomfortable at times.

And my back never hurts anymore.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Thank you all I checked and saw the Reckoning was on sale and pulled the trigger. I will try it out worst case won't lose much if anything on it.
i like the reckoning, i ended up replacing mine with the gnargali before hunting out of the reckoning, but i do like the layout and design of the reckoning.... i think you'll like it. i plan on packing meat in the bag mostly, so like the idea of the gnargali staying cleaner and easier to clean. the beauty of most things kifaru is you can get most of your money back out of anything, and the things you do like will be around awhile, all super good quality and as tough as it gets for packs

ncavi8tor

WKR
If you decide to try a Fulcrum I have a gently used one in the classys. It's a hell of a do-it-all pack!!

NC

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Vaultman

WKR
Super easy to attach gun or bow to reckoning even without a grab it. Just put pocket under zipper, gun butt goes in there and use the compression straps. Easy to stay off scope with 3 of them.

I think I’m the only one who likes the open pockets - is so easy to get stuff, just reach in. I like the debris in the pockets, means I worked for it even tho no kill!
I am with you on the open side pockets. I have the gen 1 22 mag and love those. Best framed day pack I can imagine.
For big bags though.... I replaced my fulcrum with the hoodlum. Haven't used the later yet, but have loaded it once or twice, and like the layout.

I have been very pleased with the reckoning, I was a little worried about the size at first as I normally don’t need that large of a pack, but the adjustability and compressibility of it make it a very diverse option and I’m glad I went that route.

Flight452

FNG
My last three Elk hunts: 44mag, Reckoning, Stryker XL…….now I have a Hoodlum and I kept the Stryker. I honestly could be happy with any of them - I like each of them for different reasons - I think the Hoodlum will be my favorite……but from what I’ve used - the 44 was my favorite full bag and the easiest to load. Reckoning is second and easy to load, I like the independent straps a lot but I didn’t love the open side pockets, Stryker was great after camp was set - the 5 miles to camp I felt a little like a turtle but it wasn’t uncomfortable. You can’t go wrong with whatever you choose.
I'm envious. Keep putting stuff in my cart at kifaru but the price tag keeps me hesitating. I know its worth it from reading all the reviews but can't justify it right now. I only quoted you to see if anyone has held a kifaru intervention for you? Just kidding.

I'm envious. Keep putting stuff in my cart at kifaru but the price tag keeps me hesitating. I know its worth it from reading all the reviews but can't justify it right now. I only quoted you to see if anyone has held a kifaru intervention for you? Just kidding.
I think I need one! Honestly I am sold on the Kifaru frame…..but still trying to figure out what bag I like…..since they hold their value so well - it allows me to try multiple bags without losing a lot of $