Extended car warranty

Tod osier

WKR
I ended up getting my wife a Subaru Outback. Also did not buy an extended warranty.

You can usually buy extended factory warranties up until the standard expires, so it isn't final.

The only thing I have to add is that the price is highly negotiable, so don't accept what the dealer offers, there are dealers that specialize selling extended factory warranties and they are much cheaper. I've had extended warranties on my last 3 trucks. 2 Toyotas where the warranty easily paid for itself and now a Ford where I expect it will :).

OP
Mosby

Mosby

WKR
You can usually buy extended factory warranties up until the standard expires, so it isn't final.

The only thing I have to add is that the price is highly negotiable, so don't accept what the dealer offers, there are dealers that specialize selling extended factory warranties and they are much cheaper. I've had extended warranties on my last 3 trucks. 2 Toyotas where the warranty easily paid for itself and now a Ford where I expect it will :).
Appreciate the information. I didn't know the price varied by dealer.

Tod osier

WKR
Appreciate the information. I didn't know the price varied by dealer.

I'd always been opposed, but for my first one I bought, they said something like 2200 at the dealer, and I said "no way" then he said 1600, then 1400... I was really confused to be negotiating for something I assumed has a fixed cost, but in the end it seemed like a great deal and I bought it. I ended up easily getting the money back when the air conditioning went out on that truck.

After that we have shopped around and bought factory warranties at other dealers after the fact (one toyota one ford). With our last truck it was several hundred dollars less at another dealer after negotiating our dealer down.

The main reason I've bought them is that our trucks are our road trip vehicles and it just seemed easier to go to a dealer than to try to find a shop to do the work out of town with a break down. Kind of a piece of mind thing to not have to figure out where to have it towed to when out of town. I haven't had one on our cars.

505Wapiti

WKR
I haven’t read the whole thread so I apologize if this was posted earlier, need the volume up…

wyosteve

WKR
I bought the manufacturer's extended warranty on my '18 Cummins for the first time ever. So far I've had to use it to replace the radio, control screen. No idea what that would have cost without the warranty. I bought it because I do a lot of multi-state driving and wanted to hopefully eliminate a headache if I need service in some out of the way area. Still have 4 years and 50k miles left so we'll see if I get my money's worth. The peace of mind in the meantime is worth the investment for me.