External Frame Pack

If a guy wanted to buy a pack with Kifaru quality in an external version, what would it be? Aron, have you considered this?

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree that the two Kifaru are both externals, but I think your referring to a traditional framed external. If you are the Barney's Freighter frame is hands down the best of the best in traditional frames. There are a couple bag options and it can also be run with other companies bags and a few custom made straps.

OP
Brandon Pattison
I agree that the two Kifaru are both externals, but I think your referring to a traditional framed external. If you are the Barney's Freighter frame is hands down the best of the best in traditional frames. There are a couple bag options and it can also be run with other companies bags and a few custom made straps.

Cool.

DaveS

Lil-Rokslider
Another really good external frame is a Dana Design/K2 (Longbed, ShortBed, Terraplane, T1, etc.) They are not made any more but still show up on eBay and other sites.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
The DD Longbed is another great external. Finding them is very difficult and paying big bucks for 15 year old packs is hard to deal with. The Longbed is a tremendous hauler.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Big fan of the Barney's here as well...just don't work well for me when my waist gets down to 30" or less.

crazy_davey

Lil-Rokslider
Another really good external frame is a Dana Design/K2 (Longbed, ShortBed, Terraplane, T1, etc.) They are not made any more but still show up on eBay and other sites.

Some of the best externals ever built. I would have no problem paying good cash for another if I found the right one.

crazy_davey

Lil-Rokslider
Finding them is very difficult and paying big bucks for 15 year old packs is hard to deal with.

Yes it is but, keep in mind that there were piles of these packs that were bought by backpackers and a large majority of them never really got use, especially not the type of hard use a backpack hunter would put a pack through. I have seen lots of them in pretty much new condition show up on many different sites including Ebay.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
I bought two brand new dd packs at a yard sale tags still on em with another waist belt inside one of them for 40$ I sold the packs separately on eBay. The bigger one went for 250$ the littler went for 180$ and the waist belt went for 40$! Yes, big money for old packs. Cha ching.

Trout bum

Lil-Rokslider
I used a Cabelas Extreme Alaskan external pack for a 5 or 6 years. It was $150 or so. I would strap dry bags, day packs, blinds, etc. to it now worries. I liked the versatility of it and thought it was a good, functional external frame pack…..until I purchased a Kifaru Longhunter that has the external type capability with the Duplex frame. The Grab-it attached to the Duplex frame has the same versatility without the pain (which I used to think was a normal part of the deal). Not a huge fan of the cargo chair but the Grab-it works really well for my purposes. If I only knew! I would have saved the money for the Kifaru and not purchased the Cabelas pack. So I guess my answer to your question would be: I would recommend a Kifaru Duplex frame based pack because it has the external frame pack capability when you remove the bag or just by the Hauler (cannot comment on the new bikini frame because its brand new and I have not tried it but Aron has posted a bunch of good info on it in another thread).

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
There's a difference in a traditional external and the Kifaru Duplex and Bikini frame. The Duplex and Bikini both look to have central vertical stays that terminate in stay pockets located behind the lumbar pad. Traditional externals normally connected to the belt at the sides, not in the lumbar.

This is the case with the Kelty Cache Hauler, and the two Dana Loadmaster's I've got.

Now, if you're looking for a good external I'd buy a Kelty Cache Hauler from a place with a good return policy (you can find them on sale for $80-$100), then immediately test it with 70-100 lbs. If it works for you, hack it up to lighten it a bit and turn it into a great cheap pack. If it doesn't work then send it back.

If it doesn't work well for you find an old DD external and try it. Then move up to a Barneys. That's your order of cheap to expensive in the external market.

BTW, I've got a DD shortbed and Loadmaster T1. I'd be willing to sell the T1. I picked it up on Craigslist and it's in unused condition. Just been hanging in a garage for years.

OP
Brandon Pattison
I had a Blue Widow. It sucked and I sold it.

Bought a MC DT1 and sold it to get a Highlander cuz I was gunna order a bunch of assessories. I sure miss it. Less than a month and it'll ship!

If the price was right I'd pick up an external for gits n shiggles.

dotman

WKR
I bought two brand new dd packs at a yard sale tags still on em with another waist belt inside one of them for 40$ I sold the packs separately on eBay. The bigger one went for 250$ the littler went for 180$ and the waist belt went for 40$! Yes, big money for old packs. Cha ching.

Score!