External Mic for Filming

Snowey79

Lil-Rokslider
Been doing some research on external mics, bothe stereo and shotgun. Looking for some feedback review on what anyone else us using and the pros and cons.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
S

Snowey79

Lil-Rokslider
What kind of wind sock you running on the diety. There are windjammer, windbusters and dead cats. What is the best for outdoor wind conditions?

orbowhunt

Lil-Rokslider
What kind of wind sock you running on the diety. There are windjammer, windbusters and dead cats. What is the best for outdoor wind conditions?

Its a Rycote softie 19-22 mm

OP
S

Snowey79

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks orbowhunt, how does it handle the wind?

orbowhunt

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks orbowhunt, how does it handle the wind?

It works great. Is pretty expensive for a dead cat but your mic will go down before that thing comes apart.

Does the D3 work for the Canon Vixia HFG40? I'm assuming it does since it's self powered, but was hoping for verification before I pull the trigger.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Been doing some research on external mics, bothe stereo and shotgun. Looking for some feedback review on what anyone else us using and the pros and cons.

I use the Rode Micro with a wind muff. Does very well in the wind and great sound. Plus it's pretty cheap. I've used them all.... 250$ to 400$ microphones and I've gotten along the best with the Micro and a wind screen.

amp713

WKR
I like my zoom h1n1 but its separate from your cam so you need to splice the sound in

Beau

FNG
Shotgun mic: I second the Rode VideoMic recommendation above. That's what I've been using for years, mainly because I'm a cheapskate. I'd recommend the newest model because of the auto-on/auto-off feature. It saves batteries so much. My video test and review is below.

External mic: The zoom h1n1 is a fantastic option. Zoom is excellent and the price point is the same as what I use, the Tascam DR-05. The Tascam recorders are also a fantastic bang for your buck. The downside of course is having to align the audio and imagery in post when you're editing, which I'm sure you're well aware of course.

@Jskaanland : I'm going to embed my video reviews here. I am not affiliated with any of the brands I review. :whistle: Nor am I attempting to build my brand, gain subscribers, etc. This is for the edification of OP's question, and I happen to have just a wee bit of experience with field microphones while operating in rough situations.

And here is the Tascam (stereo field mic) that I film with. It's always in my camera bag, and has lasted all throughout Africa on multiple occasions.

Let me know if you have any questions. I love this stuff.

-Beau

OP
S

Snowey79

Lil-Rokslider
Just picked up the rode mic video pro and have had a couple of weekends to try it on on my panasonic fz300 camera. Shot alot of video and the mic seems to work pretty well. Almost every time I have had it out I have encountered wind and the mic seems to do a fine job of cutting the wind. The true test will be later in spring and early summer when the wind picks up to more than 5-10 mph.