external reed bugle tube?

Jason277

WKR
Hello All, I was curious if anyone has tried using an external reed bugle tube? My Diaphram calling is well, terrible. I have tried many different calls shapes etc... I have been wondering if these external reed bugle tubes are a possibility or not so much? I have been looking at Liberty calls they have one that might be worth trying. Any feedback helps. Thanks, Jason

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I like the berry thunder bugle and called bulls in with it. External reeds do somewhat limit what sounds you can make though.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Jethro

WKR
Exactly what Unlucky said. Berry thunder bugle. Can’t hit all the notes like a diaphragm but the bugles sound good. Very easy to use too.

Glen berry thunder bugle with the red reed is great. Very very loud compared to most other bugles. Great for locating bulls.

Wheels

WKR
I've been using an Abe and Sons Dominator Bull Call for close to 30 years, can hit every note need with it.

I've tried Rocky mtn hunting calls' external one. I learned it very quick and it sounded pretty good but now that I can use a diaphragm I prefer that.

berry thunder bugle, but I sucked really bad with diaphragm until i committed to using then on morning commute for off season, one day it just clicked

E.L.K. Power Bugle
Get extra bands too.
I have called in a good amount of bulls with the power bugle... the Rocky Mountain external reed bugle is good too... back in the day the infamous terminator bugle called its share of bulls too, though they get a bad rap these days... haven’t used one in 15 or so years, but they used to work.

for those who struggle with diaphragms, the wapiti river diaphragms got me over the hump... I was a gagger for a long time, couldn’t keep a diaphragm in my mouth, wapiti River helped me, and now I can pretty much use any of them without issue.

keep the goal to learn diaphragms, they are more versatile than anything else, but don’t feel like you can’t call bulls without them... lots of elk are called in with external reed bugles.

I thought about getting another terminator for one purpose, which would be locating bulls, I remember them being loud with a high pitch... but it’s been awhile

wytx

WKR
I can use either types and call in more bulls with a Power Bugle than diaphragms. Good to have many calls to vary your sounds.