Extra Ammo & Storage

4ester

WKR
How many rounds of ammo do you all take on a hunt?

And what is your preferred storage method?

I run stock packs on my rifles, and typically take around 9 rounds (more in the truck). This works well for me as the extra rounds are always right on the stock.

Was wondering if anyone has a lighter option?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always have a full mag in the rifle, and then another 3-4 rounds in my pack in an outside pocket. Although, when I shot my mule deer this past season, I wasnt really expecting to get anything... so all I had was the 4 rounds in the rifle (silly move).

A friend of mine has glued on a small velcro patch to the side of his rifle. On this patch is a small cartridge holder that holds two round with elastic loops. It's placed just below and forward of the bolt, within easy reach if you were in the prone. It looks like a light weigh answer, but you're only storing an additional two rounds.

hodgeman

WKR
I keep the rifle magazine full (3) and carry an extra 5 in my bino pouch.

Those stock sleeves work OK, but after some bushwhacking last year I noticed I had lost 5 or 6 of them in the alders.

OP
4ester

4ester

WKR

Those stock sleeves work OK, but after some bushwhacking last year I noticed I had lost 5 or 6 of them in the alders.

I agree with that. I'm looking at buying another one where the loops are inside of the pouch giving them protection.

The cheap elastic ones seem to be very bad for this.

Carlin59

WKR

I use this cheap Allen shell holder with a bungee flap to secure my ammo: Allen Buttstock 8 Round Rifle Shell Holder with Cover Nylon Mossy Oak Break Up 2059 - 2069 - 026509020691 Works really well. I really like having 6 extra rounds handy "just in case". Also, if i'm going to carry the weight of spare ammo, i prefer it to be on the rifle itself to reduce perceived recoil a bit and to make the rifle a little more steady (26" barrel, so the added weight on the butt doesn't really hurt the balance of the rifle, for me at least).

the elastic ones for me always loose their strength. I took half of one of the plastic shell carriers to give me 5xtra wrapped it in neoprene and duc tape with a cover, works fine and no, i did not have to paint it!
velcro idea sounds great!

I agree the elastic ones do lose shape after a couple years... I will say this newer one has stronger elastic, and I never keep ammo in it unless I'm hunting to keep it from stretching out.

OP
4ester

4ester

WKR
The stock pack I have now (Tac Ops) barely fits in my SG Weapons Carrier, and can hang up if trying to get it out fast. Anybody running that PIG system with the SG loop?

CCH

WKR
I use the Hill People Gear buttcuff. It is a major improvement over the cheap elastic ones, but still very light.

duchntr

WKR
Mag full, 5rnds rubber banded together in my hip belt pouch on my pack and another 5 in my main pack for when I go full winchester.

coiloil37

Lil-Rokslider
Depends how far I'm going from the truck. I usually just pack a mag full in the rifle and two spare in each little pocket on the sides of my kuiu bino harness. I keep 8 more in the truck... or pack if I'm going for multiple days.