Extra Daypack?

Stilpr

Lil-Rokslider
What do you guys use as a day pack during a 6 to 7 day backpack hunt? I picked up a timberline one with a frame, but I think it would be way too cumbersome to take out every day from camp.

I have looked at bringing along a separate pack just for daily hunts that I could strap my bow or gun to, but not sure if I want to commit that weight and space if there is a better option.

I have the guide lid and grab-it, do you think that would be sufficient space? Is there a good way to attach the guide lid only onto the frame with the grab it?

Or is there is there a better pack than the timberline 1 that could be more versatile?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and opinions!

Carl

FNG
Stone Glacier. Depending on length of hunt either the sky 5100 or the talus 6900. Both compress to nearly nothing when empty, but expand to swallow loads of gear.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

BigDog00

WKR
Once you set up camp and unload the majority of your stuff the bag will compress down significantly. I, honestly, would never even consider strapping on another bag just for day hunting. I run the DT1 and love it. Even when hunting from the truck its my go-to pack. When you shoot something you'll be glad you have it.

Coyote813

Lil-Rokslider
I think BigDog00 is pretty well spot on, you just need to dedicate a few items that will always be with you and leave the rest at camp. Your T1 is a great pack - but if its not to your style, look at the nomad with a guide lid/grabit/camp bag setup

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree with everyone else. All of their bags compress down so nicely that with the guide lid and side pockets you almost don't need any more pockets. I'd play with your pack config a little and find what works best for you and day gear while it's all collapsed. For me it's:
Lid-camera gear, in reach, maps
Side pockets- tripod, glassing pad, spotter, rain jacket
Med belt pocket 1- steripen, food
Med belt pocket 2- essentials pullout, beanie, gloves, schmag
Inside the bag- layers, kill kit, etc.

The main things I'm getting to are all in pockets on the outside and everything else is in the main bag. Works pretty good for me, you'll just have to find your flavor with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hall256

WKR
I agree with everyone else....For me it's:
Lid-camera gear, in reach, maps
Side pockets- tripod, glassing pad, spotter, rain jacket
Med belt pocket 1- steripen, food
Med belt pocket 2- essentials pullout, beanie, gloves, schmag
Inside the bag- layers, kill kit, etc.

The main things I'm getting to are all in pockets on the outside and everything else is in the main bag. Works pretty good for me, you'll just have to find your flavor with it.

To the OP, this setup^^^^ is great and is almost how i use mine. The only difference is I do not bring any camera gear so I have a little more food in the lid. Word of caution, having the main bag available makes it very tempting to start throwing "just in case" items in it for the day hunt. The first time I tried this I had so much crap in the main bag for a day hunt it was comical.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

OP
Stilpr

Stilpr

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the info guys! I really appreciate the responses and your insight based on your own experiences. Maybe I'm just intimidated by how big that timberline looks, I am definitely worried about over packing! I will research a little bit on joe different guys compress it down.

That reckoning to set up does look intriguing though. Are there any obvious benefits or disadvantages to going with that set up versus what I am currently running? To me it just looks like a matter of personal preference, other than the timberline be used as a big meat hauling bag as well!

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the info guys! I really appreciate the responses and your insight based on your own experiences. Maybe I'm just intimidated by how big that timberline looks, I am definitely worried about over packing! I will research a little bit on joe different guys compress it down.

That reckoning to set up does look intriguing though. Are there any obvious benefits or disadvantages to going with that set up versus what I am currently running? To me it just looks like a matter of personal preference, other than the timberline be used as a big meat hauling bag as well!

I agree with you on the personal preference. I like the center zip and the independent rear straps on my Reck, over the top load on the Timberlines. Just easier to slip in and out of the bag in day mode for me, without having to unbuckle compression straps.

I did a video on compressing the AMR for day mode and it works well. And that bag is bigger than the Timberline. Ill find a link.

OP
Stilpr

Stilpr

Lil-Rokslider
Are any of you guys running a hydration bladder with the timberline? I saw a couple of people putting it in the guide lid, but I am also thinking of just bringing a couple collapsible nalgene type bottles instead.

kodiakfly

WKR
With pack options these days, it's easy to get a pack that'll haul a load and go into day pack mode. For a while, the EMRII was that pack, but now the options are endless. I even went kinda the other way making a day pack that'll expand into a hauler, instead of a hauler that'll fold down to a day pack. I hunted last season with a cargo panel with various pockets inside and out as a day pack and then threw meat into it in a game bag for the trip out. It was awesome. Superlight in day pack mode, but hauled "normal" size game loads up to almost 90 lbs. Never had a moose quarter or anything crazy in it.